Anti-Folk/Folk Punk
Apr 3, 2010 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

no1likesme

1000+ Head-Fier
For the last year I have found myself almost obsessed with this style of music. After some fruitless searches on here I was unable to find much mention of this style. I do not know if this is due to the DIY (read: poor quality recordings) nature of the music, or lack of exposure, but this genre features some of the very best songwriters that I have had the pleasure of listening to.

Some noteworthy artists include:
Jeffrey Lewis
Andrew Jackson Jihad
Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains
Defiance, Ohio
Paul Baribeau
Kimya Dawson

I could list many more, but this list should give someone a good idea of the scene in general.

Anyway, if anyone knows of any other good acts in this genre, please feel free to post them here.

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 13
Andrew Jackson Jihad is really catchy. Haven't really been into some of the other artists you mentioned. Still checking some of them out, though. A lot of influence from Neutral Milk Hotel in some of this stuff, which is cool.

Cheers,
Zach

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 13
When I hear "folk punk" I think of Against Me! They are on the complete other end of the spectrum as they are WAY more punk than the 2 youtube links posted above. There are a couple songs like Cavalier Eternal and they put out an acoustic EP too that sound more folky, but they are really more of a punk band with folk influence. The artists in those links sound a lot to me like The Mountain Goats. They dont have punk lyrics, but they are some of the most beautiful lyrics I've ever seen. Check em out if you havent already.

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They Might Be Giants comes to mind when I listened to the samples.

They Might Be Giants is a great suggestion. "Hide Away, Folk Family [Or else, someone's gonna' getcha!]" is the first of a long list of songs that would make good sense.

Really, Camper Van Beethoven--especially its first three albums--would be another good pick.

And Eugene Chadborne--He's the founder of Shockabilly and the Godfather of Folk-punk. His epic LSD C&W is a genuine 'happening'--like an outbreak of the Ebola virus, except in a good way & with acoustic guitar.

Apr 10, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #12 of 13
not quite sure what anti-folk is, but based on Jeffrey Lewis, the first artists I thought of were the Mountain Goats.

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #13 of 13
Titus Andronicus is a promising new folk punk band. Check them out. Listen to "A More Perfect Union" to get an idea of their flavor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back