Another "What should I buy thread" sorry but I need advice
May 3, 2012 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

loonacy

100+ Head-Fier
Ok here we go with yet another what is the best headphone to buy but I am in a weird situation here about what to buy.  I will start by saying I already own a pair of Denon ah-d5000 and LOVE them.  Now I want another pair of headphones for a second set up and want to try something new.  I have a pair of Sennheiser hd555 and am very underwhelmed by them.  I know they are "low" end but I'm not yet sold on open headphones.  Also the wife would love for me to get a closed set.  

So I have looked at TONS of posts about this subject and have learned a lot but am undecided.  Here are a few I am considering.

Beyerdynamic T70- i have read good and bad about these but found some at what i think is a good price $399
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-70-Over-Headphone-Black/dp/B005EEOTFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336099878&sr=8-1

Beyerdynamic T5P-  I have read mostly good things but are they worth the money.

Ultrasone edition 8-  im not thrilled about these but.........

No if I can talk the wife into an open (doubtful)

Beyerdynamic T1- good!!

Hifiman HE-500- no idea about these

Audeze LCD2- I have actually heard these and really liked them.

Any other suggestions would be great.  I listen to mostly rock and classic rock but have been known to play some blues and jazz.  I listen to a lot of vinyl and if its digital I only use lossless format. 

EDIT-  I realize I listed very high end stuff if there is something in a lower price range but are well worth the money please let me know too.

May 3, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 4

MalVeauX

Headphoneus Supremus
Heya,

Since you already have the D5000, finding something closed that is in the same bracket is simply not going to happen unfortunately. There are less closed headphones in the higher-up arenas than open-air.

If you can talk your wife into open headphones, look into:

Hifiman HE-400
Sennheiser HD600

If you want more closed options, look at:

AudioTechnica A900X
Beyer DT70

Very best,

May 3, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 4

loonacy

100+ Head-Fier
Thanks for the fast reply!! I agree the Denon's are not going to be beat and I'm not trying to I guess. Just looking for something different but still very good sound.  LOL I guess money is just burning a hole in my pocket.

May 4, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 4

theBigD

500+ Head-Fier
I would definently try to get the open headphones approved.  I find my Grado 325is to be a nice alternative to the Denon D5000,  faster and more mid focused they are great for the genres you prefer.  I also wonder about the orthodynamics,  haven't had a chance to audition though.

Users who are viewing this thread