Another vinyl convert thanks Todd!
Jun 10, 2004 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kartik

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey everyone,
I know everyone knows how wonderful TTVJ is, but I can't help but reiterate it. Buying the VPI Scout from Todd was one of the most comfortable purchases I have ever made. Todd gave me a wonderful price, mounted the cartridge and threw in the shipping for free. For headfiers like me, who are on a tight budget, Todd is not an asset to Headfi, he is a necessity.
BTW, I managed to install the tonearm by myself which is saying something considering the clutz I usually am. It sounds incredible.
Thanks again Todd.
Kartik

Jun 10, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 9
Not you too? You kissing his butt with the crowd? there are already fifty "I love the taste of Todd's butt" threads around here. Did you really have to go and start another one?

biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
Not you too? You kissing his butt with the crowd? there are already fifty "I love the taste of Todd's butt" threads around here. Did you really have to go and start another one?

biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Hey Fred,
What do you mean not me too! Do I sound like such a mean dyspeptic SOB in my posts? (LOL
biggrin.gif
)
BTW, I detect a note of jealousy in your post. Do you mean only certain people can kiss Todd's butt but not others. Seriously, though, how many places can you get serious hifi gear for a good price and have the guy talk you through the installation. Maybe things are better in Chicagoland, out here in NYC, they cost an arm and a leg. That's why when a new yorker closes a deal like this and manages to retain his extremities, he kisses ass. (Can we say ass around here?)

Chris,
I listen to all kinds of music. I particularly am in the process of developing a taste for Jazz and Swing bands at the moment. I have a relatively limited collection since I had to leave behind all my music in India when I moved to the US but I'm starting to grow now. Hopefully mostly vinyl in the future. Right now my vinyl collection is limited to the Dido (No Angel), Linkin' Park (Meteora) and Metallica (S&M) but I hope to gradually grow this with time.

Besides that I wanted to add that my wife really loved the Scout. She likes Dido very much (which is why I ordered the LP with the scout) and for the first time in my life actually asked me to shut up while she closed her eyes and listened to the music. She wants to buy more LPs now.
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #5 of 9
Good for you man,

I'm glad we have another vinyl convert and just so you know,Todd is one of my best friends and we talk almost everyday. I give him grief about these butt-kiss threads cause he's such a decent guy and deserves all the praise he gets.

Jun 11, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 9
I would also line up to kiss todd's butt...nothing to do with this thread but he sent me the Shure E3C to compare with the E2C and (although my money spending levels are waaaaaay lower than yours) he still treats me like the most important customer and best friend.

There are few people like him...he deserves to be buttkissed
eggosmile.gif
LOL

Jun 11, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
I'm glad we have another vinyl convert and just so you know,Todd is one of my best friends and we talk almost everyday. I give him grief about these butt-kiss threads cause he's such a decent guy and deserves all the praise he gets.

Actually, I knew about Todd being a friend of yours. He jsut got off the phone with you to call me while I was setting up.

A question: What tracking force do you reccomend with the Platinum? I'm keeping it at about 1.25 right now on the Shure Guage is this enough, too little or too much. I couldn't find what Grado reccomended in the box. Another thing on some tracks, there is a clear sibilance on some vocals, what do you think the problem is?

Jun 11, 2004 at 4:30 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kartik
A question: What tracking force do you reccomend with the Platinum? I'm keeping it at about 1.25 right now on the Shure Guage is this enough, too little or too much. I couldn't find what Grado reccomended in the box. Another thing on some tracks, there is a clear sibilance on some vocals, what do you think the problem is?

First off, you need to break in the cartridge by running the cartridge through many records (I mean, playing many records with the cartridge).

Second, Grado has always recommended a "tracking force" of 1.5g with their current line of cartridges. Your current setting of 1.25g is a bit on the low side of "optimal" - but still well within the usable range of 1.0 to 2.0 grams.

Jun 12, 2004 at 4:44 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
First off, you need to break in the cartridge by running the cartridge through many records (I mean, playing many records with the cartridge).

Second, Grado has always recommended a "tracking force" of 1.5g with their current line of cartridges. Your current setting of 1.25g is a bit on the low side of "optimal" - but still well within the usable range of 1.0 to 2.0 grams.

Excellent info and just what I was gonna say. Play a few records,recheck the tracking force and then play more records. things should start to settle in a bunch in a few short weeks. You'll start to notice things sounding gradually better during this time. It's hard to pin down an exact number of hours you should burn-in the cartridge but you'll know when it does settle in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back