Another Speaker Thread
Mar 31, 2004 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
Hello folks!

I have decided to go with passive speakers, and not active (I want an excuse to DIY a digital intregrated amp
wink.gif
).

I would prefer bookshelves that I can place on my bedroom's wooden cabinets, which stores my clothes. However, since I listen to alot of Tchaikovsky and Beethoven, I need good bass response (and I don't want to buy a sub). Are floorstanders my only option?

The wooden cabinet is about 2.5 feet away from the foot my bed. The bed is about 6.5 feet long, and I listen to music while I lay on my bed.

So far I am considering these bookshelves:

-Axiom M2i, M3ti, and M22ti

-Aperion Audio Intimus 522D

-B&W DM 30x, DM60x

-Paradigm Reference Studio 20

-Swan Diva 2.1

-NHT SB3

-Athena AS-B1 and AS-B2

-Mirage Omni Bookshelves

-Ascend Acoustics CBM-170

What do you think?

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 38
As far as bookshelves with great bass that definitely don't need a sub, only one comes to mind at the moment: the new NHT SB-3. Haven't heard a negative word about 'em yet. Great bass, detail and musicality, with highs uncharacteristically smooth from a metal tweeter. I've been itching to try these out in my own system...

-dd3mon

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 38
Are you around Los Angeles? If so, head on over to speaker city in burbank. They have this 8 inch piano black 3-way monitor that's running for $300 a pair, and I swear, it is KILLER. It's pretty big though, no shortcuts on the cabinet size. I heard it driven with a sunfire integrated and the bass is definitely adequate. Of course, the sunfire costs $4000, and I don't know how well a gainclone or somesuch will stack up.

I highly recommend them. $300 for 3 ways that sounded and looked like that was a home run when I saw and heard them this weekend. Speakercity also sells online, but they don't have this listed on their website, only in their store.

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:20 AM Post #4 of 38
I just started using a pair of ATC SCM-7 bookshelves and they sound awesome to me. They have a lot more bass then I thought they would and do bass guitar very well. If you are interested in them I know a dealer who has very good prices.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:30 AM Post #5 of 38
Speaker city is a DIY joint, so it MAY have greater value, if you believe such a thing is possible in DIY. And these speakers I'm talking about are liquidation from another company going under. Most everyone says ATC rocks though. Depends on your budget I guess
tongue.gif

Btw, forget about good bass without a subwoofer unless you're absolutely sure that your DIY integrated amp is REALLY up there. And they should be, if all that gainclone/pass labs diy etc. hype is true.

Mar 31, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #6 of 38
What is Gainclone/Passlabs
confused.gif
?

Mar 31, 2004 at 7:42 AM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by princeclassic
i'd go for the ascend cbm-170s

Not exactly bass-monsters here though, if he's looking for bass performance without a sub, I've heard the 170's aren't quite up to the task. However, these do get excellent reviews if bass isn't a huge priority or you're pairing them with a sub. For the price, they're quite a steal.

-dd3mon

Mar 31, 2004 at 8:16 AM Post #9 of 38
*sigh*

The best bass performance I have ever gotten out of a small bookshelf would be the speakers I DIYed for my family. I used the 4'' Jordan fullrange driver. That little baby can pump out, under ideal conditions, 40 Hz!

Maybe I should DIY myself another pair. Though that will put my digiamp project on hold
rolleyes.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 8:20 AM Post #10 of 38
In the consumer realm, there are definitely some good competitors. I'd have to say that if size is not an issue though, the 8" 3 way monitors I saw at speakercity are incomparable. Hey, ascend and speakercity are in LA, so maybe a comparison isn't so far fetched.

gainclone is the clone of this dinky little japanese amplifier that sell for like $4000. Total project cost ends up around $400 with an expensive case and preamp section. Passlabs can be found at passdiy.com. He sells amps in the $$$$$ price range, but after he retires an old design, he makes them available to the DIYers. Both are pretty low power solid state amps, with the typical power being under 50wpc, but supposedly very high quality watts.

Mar 31, 2004 at 8:21 AM Post #11 of 38
Why not go for an 8" jordan or fostex full range design then? That should satisfy a bit better than your 4" design.

Mar 31, 2004 at 8:33 AM Post #12 of 38
Scrap B&W and Paradigm off your list.

They sound awful.

I havent heard the rest so I cant comment.

Mar 31, 2004 at 9:24 AM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn
Scrap B&W and Paradigm off your list.

They sound awful.

I havent heard the rest so I cant comment.

That's a bit blunt.

What it about their sound that is so awful? A lean midrange? Boomy bass? Grainy highs?

Such comments really offer no value to this discussion.

Mar 31, 2004 at 9:31 AM Post #14 of 38
The b&w was boomy and just sounded mush.
The paradigm I dont quite remember the sound but I remember it didnt sound right.

Mar 31, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #15 of 38
I have a friend who owns the Mirage omni bookshelf versions.

He and I agree that they throw an a very nice, effortless soundstage, but are not bass heavy at all. I have heard them in my room, and in two rooms in his house.

I would recommend them as good, cheap speakers, but not for someone looking for a lot of bass.

If you can find a set of used Totem Rokk, have a listen. I own them, and they do well for their size.

I did build a sub though, so they are not the single solution for deep, powerful bass in a larger room.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back