Another Speaker Thread
Apr 4, 2004 at 11:11 PM Post #31 of 38
BigD,

I have been considering getting a HT receiver lately. However, my primary objective is a good sounding system for music. Plus, my room is tiny and on the second floor, so a subwoofer is almost out of the question. But, at the same time, I like to check out multi-channel music. That's why I am sitting on the fence regarding stereo vs. multi-channel components.

The NHT SB2 is a great performer, regardless whether it's music or HT.

I suppose if I can find a good sounding HT receiver that's also great at reproducing music.... The Outlaw 1050 has been around for a while and from what I've read, a bargain.

Apr 5, 2004 at 12:08 AM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by BigD
That's quite a statement
confused.gif

Of course DIY is better if you know what you're doing. But.......

It's not that hard to do. If DIY is too hard, kit speakers are also great value and easier to assemble.

Apr 5, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #33 of 38
My take is a little less extreme than ctn's. I think a pair of $300 studio monitors can sound pretty darn good if you're not looking for pounding bass. Also, the new griffin powerwave is being compared to $2000 el34 tube amps and it costs $100. There are a FEW low cost options that truly sound great without going diy.

Apr 5, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #34 of 38
Just like any other head-fiers, I did NOT hear all the candidates from thread page 1. And sometime I don't have the time, so I come here for reference. I think media is great for that reason. Save time and go audition what has been recommended
tongue.gif

My choice under $300 bookshelf would easily be monitor audio bronze b2, NHT SB2.

Hey soundboy,
I wouldn't get receiver unless it's for av purpose. Dual functions (audio, video) to save some money!!!
Plus pre-amp out could be nice feature for someone like me who has a stereo power amp already.
Otherwise, some solid int-amp like rotel, marantz, NAD in mind.
If you're not going to hook vcr to 1050, it should be fine. Check out some reviews on it and it actually might be alot cheaper than listed price if outlaw still have them inventory.

Apr 5, 2004 at 7:31 AM Post #35 of 38
Soundboy, forgive my skepticism, but as Axiom is an internet order only company, how did you find a local dealer for them?

I'm going to recommend the Axiom M22ti's. Probably the best bargain of the bunch, and truly a giant killer for it's quite modest price. Out of the 3 Axiom models, the M22ti's offer the best power handling and have a more neutral and transparent presentation. The treble is simply outstanding - clean, extended and smooth (no 'grain'), the soundstage and imaging are top notch, and they mate extremely well with a good sub.

I preferred them over B&W's offerings in the general price range (sub $1k), and after having briefly auditioned a Paradigm Studio 40, walked away feeling the two were pretty close to each other in terms of overall performance. The Paradigm had better bass response (not really an issue with a good sub) and was definitely built better, but it also cost 3 times as much.

Here's a good comparison review that might be helpful:

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...faceoff3_a.php

Apr 5, 2004 at 8:24 AM Post #36 of 38
Adam,

Actually, I posted about it here (post #5) back on March 14th, 2002. The store, Audio Vision SF, has since moved to another location nearby. They had the full Axiom line back then.

BigD,

I am currently using a Cambridge Audio A500 stereo integrated amp to power my NHT SB2. I got it brand new from Audio Advisor for $250.00 shipped. Since my room is tiny, 44 inches between speakers, a full-blown HT is impossible. I was thinking of a 3.1 system for music.

Apr 5, 2004 at 1:25 PM Post #37 of 38
Soundboy,
3.1 channel system seems like a very interesting choice since you have HT on your mind for the future. You already have SB2 which can switch to rears. Meanwhile use SB2 as fronts with matching NHT SC1 in center and a good subwoofer.
Later, get kick-ass tower to complete 5.1 channel!!!
Sound like a good compromise!!!
How do u plan to power the center channel???

Apr 5, 2004 at 4:33 PM Post #38 of 38
BigD,

The 3.1 channel idea was just for kicking around. I only have 44 inches available between the front left and right speakers, so a center channel speaker is kind of over doing it. I do have a Technics Dolby Pro-Logic receiver available that has a 3.1 Dolby Surround mode. But that would work for hi-rez formats like SACD or DVD-A.

If I am to go full-blown HT, I would do it with my mom's system. She has a hi-def capabale Sony big screen TV currently connected to a progressive scan Sony DVP-NS725V. Unfortunately, she's fine with the audio from the TV. On the other hand, connected to the TV is a karaoke system build around a Pioneer LaserDisc karaoke player (Dolby Digital capable!) and my first stereo component, a Sony stereo integrated amp from 1987.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back