Another Speaker Thread
Apr 2, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn
The b&w was boomy and just sounded mush.
The paradigm I dont quite remember the sound but I remember it didnt sound right.

Paradigms are pretty sensitive to equipment, so I'd try them out with your equipment before I scratch them off the list, they sound much better than far more expensive speakers (B&W, KEF (IMO), etc.)

Apr 2, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #17 of 38
I haven't heard b&w but the paradigm monitor 20's at my school blow the kef bookshelves away. No comparison.

Apr 2, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #18 of 38
I'm surprised not to see Wharfedale Diamond series on your list
confused.gif

diamond 8.2 (improved 7.2) bookshelf or 8.3 floorstand get my vote for performance/value.
I didn't like mirage too much, those speakers scream instead of singing smooth. It just seems like they're trying too hard.
I would add one more to your list which is Monitor Audio Bronze B2. It was very dynamic, capable, easy delievery of bass. Sometimes slightly cold and bit metallic, but effortless at sounding BIG
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #19 of 38
Just looked at your profile Czilla,
Stax, HD600...DVD763,etc confirms that you will like Monitor Bronze B2.
Bronze B2s are very crisp, smooth mid-range, fast bass, expressive details with front-ported design for your shelf space.
It's only US$269 at downtownaudio.com.
It's odd that everybody is focussing on only bass capability of other speakers. I thought we love our headphones for many other reason.......I still have long road to discover in can world...
I think we got derailed since you didn't want subwoofer.
tongue.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:32 AM Post #20 of 38
This is a try and error process, what is suitable for you maybe is not for me, but why not beginning with the ones you can return? I have a pair of Axioms M3ti and they sound fabulous, I have heard a few others a way more expensive that can't touch them

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #21 of 38
I will second the Monitor Audio Bronze 2....excellent speakers. I almost purchased these but I came across a great deal on the NHT SB2.

Czilla9000, if you are putting speakers into a wooden cabinet, I think front-porting or acoustic-suspension designs are a must. Otherwise, you will not be able to get the best out of your speakers. Several years back, I purchased a pair of Paradigm Mini-Monitor V.1.....had about 12 inches between its rear port and the wall. The result was booming bass (and I listen without any tone control).

These are the speakers I tried....

B&W DM303 - lifeless when mated to a Marantz integrated amp
Axiom M3Ti - had local dealer; not impressed
NHT SB3 - very impressive, but it was powered by a Classe integrated amp
NHT SB2 - combining the best of NHT SuperOne and the NHT SB3
KEF Q1 - excellent sounding; awesome workmanship
JBL E30 - very impressive; not enough audiophile snob appeal though
Monitor Audio Bronze B2 - effortless power; efficient

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
Paradigms are pretty sensitive to equipment, so I'd try them out with your equipment before I scratch them off the list, they sound much better than far more expensive speakers (B&W, KEF (IMO), etc.)

True, I only heard them with high end Marantz amplifcation.

IMO, I wouldnt call B&W and KEF speakers the speakers to make comparisons with. The B&W sound is too harsh and crude for my liking. The KEF on the other hand sounds very nice in a suspesious kind of way. The bass is about average in it's price range (a tad boomy and not that fast) but the tweeter is very very sweet to the point of not being natural. Put on Madonna's "Music" the song and you will be able to tell it's not natural within the first few seconds. I was like wait a second, Im hearing some wierd distortions although nice high frequency distortions.

I have heard various other foreign speakers but werent as impressive as the local speakers for the same money. It was like an order of magnitude difference.

Apr 3, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by soundboy
I will second the Monitor Audio Bronze 2....excellent speakers. I almost purchased these but I came across a great deal on the NHT SB2.

NHT SB3 - very impressive, but it was powered by a Classe integrated amp
NHT SB2 - combining the best of NHT SuperOne and the NHT SB3

I take it you liked the SB2 more than the SB3? From all I've heard the SB-3 is the best of the line (albeit more expensive) - and has an especially great bass response for a bookshelf. You may not have heard them on the same equipment either..

Many still feel the original SuperZero has some aspects that can't be matched by the new models (although they obviously need a sub).

-dd3mon

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:00 AM Post #24 of 38
Regarding the reason I chose the NHT SB2 over the SB3, please see the last post on this thread.

I also hang out at the NHT forum, where NHT's Director of Engineering answer questions from NHT owners, he feels that the current SB1 improves upon the SuperZero. And even goes on to say the SB1 is probably the "star" of the SB series.

I used to own the SuperOne and I like it a lot. But the SB2 is definitely an improvement....better (and more) bass response and not as warm sounding. Of course, these are just my opinion.

Apr 3, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #25 of 38
The KEF speakers do have a very nice upper range, when I listened to Tim Reynolds play Stream from the dvd-a (assuming, it was an integra thing...) it sounded rediculous, while those were 4k/pair speakers, I'd assume the cheaper ones have some sort of similar sound signature.

Paradigm speakers are more multipurpose than KEF; KEFs are great for music, but Paradigms are far superior in the movie realm...well, that's my opinion anyway...unfortunately, I didn't listen to any Totem speakers when I was listening to them all the last time. (the KEFs were brand new, well, they'd gotten them about a week before, so they weren't really broken in yet either)

Apr 3, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #26 of 38
I, myself, considered some of these speakers 6 months ago before I became addicted to this site
biggrin.gif

My decision had to hold since my wallet can't go both ways.

Yoyoyo soundboy,
I'm with you on SB2 over SB3. That's just my taste and habit of not spending more than I should. About $100 more for SB3 for me was NOT justified in sound/value.
Near future, I might need some help on speakers as well.
Meanwhile my K501 should be here soon.
My bigMac MC2105 should be serviced and ready next week.
Mo' details to come soon...
tongue.gif

I need to move to a bigger place to fit all these
evil_smiley.gif

Mo' money
mad.gif

Apr 4, 2004 at 12:11 AM Post #27 of 38
I need Mo' Money. Period.
biggrin.gif

I think I have this audio fetish of getting the most sound for the least amount of money. I like the NHT SB3 a lot and they were on sale for $450.00/pair, which was a damn good price from an authorized dealer. Still, that was 1/3 more than the SB2, which is a lot of money to ME.

My goal is to put together a good-sounding speaker-based system for $1,000 or less using all new components. I am now even considering getting rid of my Cambridge Audio integrated amp for a good sounding Sherwood stereo receiver. Don't knock it until you hear it.

BTW, I listened to B&W's DM302 bookshelf speaker and this model rocks. When it was new, they retail for about $250.00/pair. The 302 easily blows the 303 into the weeds. Look out for these.

Apr 4, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by soundboy
My goal is to put together a good-sounding speaker-based system for $1,000 or less using all new components.

Buy a mini system such as the Pana pm03. It will sound as good or a little worse than what you can buy for under $1000 and it costs < $200. It's comparable to the Denon mini for alot less.

Dont bother getting a hifi speaker system if you are not spending atleast 2k. It's just not worth the money.

If I were you get the mini then save up a bit more then get a good system.

Only way to getting an OK system under $1000 is going DIY with the speakers and amp which is not a small undertaking. Cheap amps just doesnt cut it. You need to dump atleast $1000 on the amp to get anything good out of your system.

Apr 4, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn
Buy a mini system such as the Pana pm03. It will sound as good or a little worse than what you can buy for under $1000 and it costs < $200. It's comparable to the Denon mini for alot less.

Dont bother getting a hifi speaker system if you are not spending atleast 2k. It's just not worth the money.

Only way to getting an OK system under $1000 is going DIY with the speakers and amp which is not a small undertaking. Cheap amps just doesnt cut it. You need to dump atleast $1000 on the amp to get anything good out of your system.

That's quite a statement
confused.gif

Of course DIY is better if you know what you're doing. But.......

Yo soundboy,
are you going for HT receiver??? you mind as well go for it since the IC are up-to-date and total a/v upgrade.
I heard Outlaw audio 1050 6.1 channel receiver is a crazy bargain at us$499. Check out www.outlawaudio.com
Never heard it because its internet sale only, but I have read sick reviews on it at ecoustics, stereophile, hometheatersound etc.
Many journalists compared it to NAD T752, T762 and Sherbourne av receivers.
You should have a serious look at these recievers ,specially outlaw 1050.
Maybe you can tell me how good it is...

Apr 4, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #30 of 38
Just thought i'd pop in about the Paradigms, being that i'm Canadian I have heard a lot of their speakers at my local dealer, the reference studio 20s he is talking about is the new version of the studio 20s I believe, they have a whole new 'reference' line coming out.

Also, I personally didn't really like the studio 20s, I'd rather go for the studio 40s if you wanted to go with Paradigm.

Its also impossible to choose a speaker based on a forum, go to your dealer and audition the ones you are interested in on the gear you'll be using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back