Another Sound Card Question
Mar 21, 2008 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

google741

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I’m new to this forum and after searching for a couple of days for answer to my question I decided to register and post my dilemma.

I own B&W nautilus 803 and HTM1 and planning to get a nice multichannel Rotel power amp (I heard it couples really nice with the B&W - I’m currently using NAD Int. Amp)

Well I’m going to skip buying a processor this round and I want to play my ripped CD (Flac) directly to the power amp.

I’m looking for the best result sound quality wise for the ripped cd's and movies (multichannel blu-ray, you know TrueHD right?)

So my question is what is the best sound card that will work with vista 64(yeah I know but what can you do?
redface.gif
)?

Thanks in advance

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #4 of 14
thanks for the reply derek.

Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you buy Creative have you considered E-MU 0404 USB?

I would, but there is no multi speakers support for this one. I need at least 5.1 card even 3.1 for my current setup I wouldn't want to lose the center. it sounds amazing
Any other suggestions?

Mar 25, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by google741 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would, but there is no multi speakers support for this one. I need at least 5.1 card even 3.1 for my current setup I wouldn't want to lose the center. it sounds amazing
Any other suggestions?

Wooops sorry, missed that.

I would second James on recommendation on Auzentech products, or alternatively you can look into M-Audio products, they do have cards with I/O supporting upto 7.1ch direct output.

Mar 25, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 14
Guys, I don’t know what to say.

I brought home ESI Juli@, it’s just 2 channel pci card but it was really cheap. I’m going to test it with my system for few days and then decide if I want to replace it with M-Audio Audiophile(why don’t they have 64Bit vista drivers?)
I guess there is no multichannel card at this sound quality stage point.

Does anybody knows any details on this card?

I will write my impressions soon

Mar 25, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #11 of 14
Not sure what price you had in mind. For multichannel movies you will need some kind of sound card, but the Dac will greatly improve your 16 bit music. Or you could get a 24 bit Dac and do movies in 2 channel.

Apr 1, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #12 of 14
It looks like I’m going to move LynxTwo sound card as I’m not content with the Juli@.
The Lynx offers Highend like DAC and op-amps. The B version of the Lynxtwo offers a way to output 6 balanced analog for surround (5.1)
Does anybody tried to use this card in surround configuration?

Apr 1, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by google741 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Any other suggestions?

Why would you want 3.1 for playing music? Most music are 2-channel. Simulating a center channel out of that makes the sound artificial. If you can't get full and balanced sound from using just two speakers (B&W should be capable), you need to work on speaker placement and tune your listening environment.

Apr 1, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #14 of 14
I have the Auzentech Prelude (does 7.1 if you need it) running under Vista 64, and have had no problems with it so far. I game on it and as of yesterday, I am using the front L|R channels going to my LD MKIV. Great sound, could not be happier for $140
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back