Another satisfied SinglePower Customer
Mar 17, 2006 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

asdf

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I just got my mpx3 slam, and all I can say is WOW! I can't imagine what this thing will sound like once the tubes have burned-in, but it's difficult to imagine that it could sound any better.

By the way, Mikhail was a pleasure to deal with. When I ordered the amp (a custom order), he said that it would ship "in about three weeks." That was three weeks ago, today. Mark me down as a satisfied customer.

--asdf

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Asdf, what tubes did you get?

Well, the adapters for the 5687s are back-ordered, so it came with the 6SN7s. What should I experiment with first as far as tube rolling?

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf
Well, the adapters for the 5687s are back-ordered, so it came with the 6SN7s. What should I experiment with first as far as tube rolling?

Tung Sol 5687 D getters, Sylvania or Raytheon 5687 or 5687wa's .... and any of the 6sn7's are very good. I am finding I especially like the Ken Rad 6sn7 or RCA clear glass 6sn7 with the Tung Sol 5687's.
basshead.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Tung Sol 5687 D getters, Sylvania or Raytheon 5687 or 5687wa's .... and any of the 6sn7's are very good. I am finding I especially like the Ken Rad 6sn7 or RCA clear glass 6sn7 with the Tung Sol 5687's.
basshead.gif

How dramatic are the differences between Tung Sol and Sylvania (for the 5687s) or between Ken Rad and RCA (for the 6sn7s)? Are the 6sn7s the only ones that will fit my amp without an adapter? I Know I should to read the tube faq for noobs, but I wanted to get my amp before I started to worry about tubes. By the way the 6sn7s that shipped with my amp are Electro Harmonix.

I have no idea what 5687s will be sent with my adapters. Does SinglePower stick with a standard?

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf
How dramatic are the differences between Tung Sol and Sylvania (for the 5687s) or between Ken Rad and RCA (for the 6sn7s)? Are the 6sn7s the only ones that will fit my amp without an adapter? I Know I should to read the tube faq for noobs, but I wanted to get my amp before I started to worry about tubes. By the way the 6sn7s that shipped with my amp are Electro Harmonix.

I have no idea what 5687s will be sent with my adapters. Does SinglePower stick with a standard?

Nothing sounds quite like the ken rad 6sn7gt .... and its my personal favorite. But all the other old 6sn7gt's also sound very good, IMO. I just happened to find the RCA worked well with the TS 5687 tubes too. The TS D getter 5687's are a cut above the rest, again IMO, but the Sylvania and Raytheons are very good to excellent.

The EH tubes will be ok until your 5687's show up. Even then the EH 6sn7 is a good gain tube combo with the 5687's. But the sound quality will definitely go up a notch, maybe two, once you get the 5687's and a good nos 6sn7.

5687's arent made anymore so he probably supplies whatever tubes he has on hand. Any of the nos 5687's are good tubes and will be an improvement over the EH 6sn7's used as output tubes.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #9 of 27
While I can't speak for the 5687s, I do really like the Sylvania 12sn7GT with my GE 6BL7GTs.

Mar 17, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #11 of 27
is a mpx3 6cg7 convertible to 6sn7 with adapters? how much are we talking for adapters and good tubes?

Mar 17, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #12 of 27
The 6BX7GT and the 6BL7GT are both octal tubes so yes it is just plug in and go. That said you would need atleast a MPX3 transformer in your amp to run them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianS
is a mpx3 6cg7 convertible to 6sn7 with adapters? how much are we talking for adapters and good tubes?

While I've never seen them made, the machine that Mikhail has for doing the tube adapters could probably do that. The cost per adapter is $99 and if you're talking about good 6sn7s, atleast $30-40 per tube, with alot of popular tubes going at $50+ per tube.

Mar 17, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

basshead.gif

The RCA and tung sol's have that very hard hitting sound right out of the box(which i am in love with)and i am guessing i should expect it to only get better as time goes on.Bass is definetly putting to shame what i had before
biggrin.gif

Now you have me thinking Ken Rad
eek.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 12:46 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbln
Glad to hear that orders from three weeks ago are shipping already.
it's been 4 weeks and counting. I am still awaiting eagerly shipping confirmation for my MPX3 Slam so that I can experience the magic.

6 weeks and counting since I ordered my custom mpx3-slam. It's been 3 weeks since Mikhail said it would take another week. Oh well, I am a patient man.

frown.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #15 of 27
Inter you are not alone, it took a really long time since I have recieved the "glory" mail from Mikhail with the Tracking Number, about 6 weeks too.
I ordered a custom MPX3 Slam as well, I guess outsiders (I'm From Israel) are delayed or have low priority ? probably not but who knows.
Anyway its weekend here, and the amp is at the customs I think, next week (probably sunday or monday) I hope to get it, at last !!!
All those thread with WOW in them really makes my expectations go higher and higher
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back