Another reason to hate the HD580/600 stock cable
May 3, 2004 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

drewday

New Head-Fier
MINE STOPPED WORKING

grrr... well not really, although this is probably more annoying. The right channel won't work unless you twist the cable a little near the plug (where it connects to the headphone) or if you keep you head in the same exact position once you get it right. SO annoying, and I just bought the complete organ works of Bach on CD! Well, this upgrade was coming for a long time - but still will be a pita for a week or so.

May 3, 2004 at 9:09 AM Post #2 of 26
Are you sure that the cable is broken? Maybe it's a bad contact of the plug (happened to me several times). If that's the case, use contact spray, and it will be fixed for some time. If you definitely need a new cable, I recommend the Oehlbach from Jan Meier.

peacesign.gif

May 3, 2004 at 9:37 AM Post #3 of 26
My stock HD600 cable quit on me too, and this was with about 5-10 hours on them. I had never as much as taken the cable off of the headphones. The left channel just quit on me, and all of the twisting in the world couldn't fix it. I ended up buying another pair of HD600's with a Cardas cable and using the stock cable from this pair with my original pair, and then giving them to a friend.

May 3, 2004 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by drewday
MINE STOPPED WORKING

grrr... well not really, although this is probably more annoying. The right channel won't work unless you twist the cable a little near the plug (where it connects to the headphone) or if you keep you head in the same exact position once you get it right. SO annoying, and I just bought the complete organ works of Bach on CD! Well, this upgrade was coming for a long time - but still will be a pita for a week or so.

Doesn't sound like the cable. Sounds as though the crappy spring connector has opened out too much (quite literally a spring) you'll have to strip the phones down and adjust the spring with a very small engineers screwdriver. See more on the spring here: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...&postid=123705

Pinkie.

May 3, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Doesn't sound like the cable. Sounds as though the crappy spring connector has opened out too much (quite literally a spring) you'll have to strip the phones down and adjust the spring with a very small engineers screwdriver. See more on the spring here: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...&postid=123705

Pinkie.

I'm pretty confident that it's not the connector. If I hold the cable in my fingers 4" away from the connector and move it say .5" side to side it will go on and off, and that's hardly affecting the connector which is pretty snug in there. I managed a temp fix by moving the wire around while holding it to the ear piece till I got sound - then I just taped it there so it will stay in a proper position. Looks goofy but it works. I suppose we will see what happens with a new cable - might end up DIY'ing one up.

May 3, 2004 at 4:07 PM Post #7 of 26
You can exclude the connectors by swapping the channels of the cable.

peacesign.gif

May 3, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 26
I had the same problem with brand new hd580s. Returned 'em, won't get them again. Plus the general sound just wasn't for me.

May 3, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
You can exclude the connectors by swapping the channels of the cable.

peacesign.gif

Yep that will rule out the spring as the problem and, if it is the cable it'll show up on the other channel.

May 3, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murdoch
I had the same problem with brand new hd580s. Returned 'em, won't get them again. Plus the general sound just wasn't for me.

When I purchased my 580s, the left channel was dead straight out of the box, but after pulling out the connector and putting it back in, it never once cut out on me again. I still replaced it with the Cardas cable, though.
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP88
When I purchased my 580s, the left channel was dead straight out of the box, but after pulling out the connector and putting it back in, it never once cut out on me again.

Same here. Obviously the good folks at Sennheiser don't always plug the connector in all the way sometimes.

May 6, 2004 at 5:11 PM Post #12 of 26
At least it's not just me. I've had my HD 600's for a couple of years now. They probably get, without exaggeration, 6-10 hours of use every day between myself and my kids (the headphones are on the computer). I have to replace the cable every six months to a year, always because the right channel becomes intermittent. Replugging in the old cable doesn't help. I never unplug the cables from the headphones in ordinary use and treat them gingerly.

Well the cables are pretty cheap and SennUSA ships them out fast, so I can't really complain (too much). I treat them as a consumable. No way I would ever invest in a high price cable though.

May 6, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #13 of 26
That sounds really bothersome. Isn't that why Sennheiser lengthened the warranty for new HD600 purchases? I think they were supposed to have fixed the problem with the HD650s, but that still leaves all the 580 and 600 owners out to dry.

May 6, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thump
Well the cables are pretty cheap and SennUSA ships them out fast, so I can't really complain (too much). I treat them as a consumable. No way I would ever invest in a high price cable though.

Seems like another reason to go for a cable upgrade. The Oehlibach is only $55, that makes more sense to me than having to periodically replace a inferior cable, with more of the same.

May 6, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #15 of 26
But doesn't the problem lie with the headphones themselves rather than with the stock cables? There is a thread (I can't recall which) that the culprits are are these little springs inside the headphones that are supposed to hold the two metal pins of the cables that go inside. The springs get deformed and then they don't hold the cable's pins anymore. Apparently you can open up the cans and fix the springs (with care). There are pictures on that thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back