Another reason to buy an Oppo
Sep 7, 2007 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

soloz2

Headphoneus Supremus
I have an Oppo DV-971H DVD player that I have enjoyed for about a year and a half. About 6 months ago the tray started sticking and would not always open, but playing with it or unplugging it then plugging it back in would get it to open. It was an annoyance, but the unit displayed great video and I didn't have money to buy a new one so I kept playing with it. At one point a few months ago the tray stuck so bad that I actually took the cover off to see if it was caught on something, it worked as soon as I took the cover off so I put it back on and kept using it.

Earlier this week the tray stopped opening period. It didn't matter what I tried to do it wouldn't open. I emailed Oppo support and they responded to me later that day with some suggestions. None of their suggestions worked so they said I would have to send it in for repairs. Now, wanting to know if it would be cheaper to just buy a new unit I asked what it would cost and they said all I had to cover was shipping to them and they would cover the rest. Now, I was very clear and upfront with them that my unit was about a year and a half old. They never once asked for proof of purchase or where I bought it. they just offered to fix it free of charge.

Yesterday I got the RMA # and then shortly after I received an email from FedEx with a paid postage tag. Now, that is customer service!

Oppo makes a great product both for video and audio (I use mine for both, but primarily video) at a great price and they stand behind their products. To me this is just another reason to purchase an Oppo unit

Sep 14, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 8
Oppo are a great example of not judging a book by it's cover. The build quality looks poor but the image quality is great.

I heard the sound on a RAM modded Oppo at the national Head-fi gathering and was really impressed (more than I wanted to be).

If I were buying a DVD player today, for the money I'd probably purchase one of these units.

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 8
I received an email today from Oppo saying that they received my player and will look at it then fix/replace it. They said typical turnaround time is 1-2 days and I would receive an email with tracking when they ship.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Girardian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oppo are a great example of not judging a book by it's cover. The build quality looks poor but the image quality is great.

I heard the sound on a RAM modded Oppo at the national Head-fi gathering and was really impressed (more than I wanted to be).

If I were buying a DVD player today, for the money I'd probably purchase one of these units.

yeah, now they just need to make a HD-DVD or Blueray player. Personally if I were to buy a new player today I'd probably get the new Toshiba HD-DVD player instead of Oppo's new unit... just to have the HD capability. If Oppo made a reasonably priced HD-DVD unit I'd be all over it though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the unit is modded, would they still repair it ?

I highly doubt it

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #7 of 8
I had a similar experience with Canon for a 3-year-old digital camera that had developed a common sensor issue. They paid shipping both ways and fixed it good-as-new for free.

That kind of support goes a looooong way these days. I don't own anything from Oppo, but if I had the need for a good utility-knife style player, I'd definitely choose from their line-up.

Sep 15, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #8 of 8
hmm... that's good to hear! I have 2 canon digital cameras, and my previous camera was a canon. I also have 3 siblings with Canons. None of us have every had any problems with our cameras, but it's good to know that if we ever do...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back