another "properly drive k701's on a budget?" thread
Sep 8, 2009 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mugtastic

Head-Fier
i've been using my k701's for a good while with a little dot mkIII and enjoy it, but i'm thinking about an affordable solid state amp to hear the difference (i've read here that the k701's aren't at their peak with lower cost tube amps.)

so after some research (mostly here) i'm thinking about
- corda swing
- headroom micro amp
- audio-gd C-2C

seems like the C-2C would be less than $100 more and be the one most likely to give me the "wow" factor.

any opinions or possibilities would be appreciated.

also i apologize for another one of these "drive k701 cheap" threads, but hey...

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 15
I'd steer you away from the Gilmore Lite for the K701. I tried that combination, and I whisked the K701 off quick.

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 15
Time to find a meet and take your hps. You'll be back to a more expensive tube amp.
smile.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 15
i guess i'd like someone who discourages budget otl tube amps for the k701's to say "meier corda swing shows a properly driven k701" or "spend another $100 bucks on the C-2C to really have those akg's shine"

but all input is welcome.

i'll check to see of any coming toronto meets!

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Valens7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd steer you away from the Gilmore Lite for the K701. I tried that combination, and I whisked the K701 off quick.

What amp do you like with K701??

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #9 of 15
The Swing is entry-level : that isnt what you want for the AKGs.

If you wanted to stay in the Meier range, the Cantate would begin to realise the 701s potential but the Symphony is where I would be aiming. That puts your desired amp in the same price bracket as the better amps from HeadRoom and RSA, but the upside is that you will have kit which *should* be able to drive other high-end headphones, the Senn preference for tube amps notwithstanding. I believe that Dr Meier has a good many fans here, so you should be able to find feedback on the Cantate and Symphony.

I havent had the readies to spend this kind of money on an amp, but your OP indicates that you want a significant improvement on your current combination.

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Swing is entry-level : that isnt what you want for the AKGs.

this, of course, is my hunch. so as my little dot needs servicing and thoughts explore solid state i guess the question becomes "does $400 for the C-2C give me a good taste of a robust solid state amp with the akg's."

i won't be spending more than that at this time, but all the opinions and info in this thread and others is great.

a toronto meet would be better than guelph but it sounds fun - would people care for someone showing up with just k701's and a littledot mkIII?

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #13 of 15
Looks like Prickly Pete has a C2C. He will be in attendance. Jump in their thread and see what you can do. I'm sure they would want as many as they can get.

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #14 of 15
If you are open to DIY, I think the CTH would do a nice job with the 701's.. It drives my 601's very nicely, and I know that people have tried a lot of different cans with it..

Sep 9, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything is better than nothing.
wink.gif

so my little dot mkIII is nothing? i think not! *edit - you probably meant the meet, but i was only joking anyway!*

i won't be building, but i would consider buying - altho the cth is a hybrid - i think i'd like to go pure solid state for my next amp.

i'll check out the meet thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back