1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Another price increase for the Equinox

Next

Last
  1. Jarmel
    Can anybody explain why this cable would be so bloody expensive in comparison to APS or Moon Audio? They also have the Voice now available for hardwiring. I would have posted this in the other threads about the Equinox or Voice but they got deleted for some reason.

2. vcoheda Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarmel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    They also have the Voice now available for hardwiring.

another head-fier told me that the connectors used on the HD800 degraded the signal/sound and that hard wiring was much preferred and could be done in such a way that the modification could be completely reversed, if so desired. i guess the only way to really tell would be to compare two 800s, both with the same cable, one hard wired and the other using the connectors. other than the cable manufacturers, not sure who else would have the ability or resources to do this.

but if the sound is better, then i would certainly be interested.

3. Fafner
    I don't have any idea on the reasons behind the standard Equinox's price increase. From their homepage, one would assume some late changes were made to it, but I guess the only way to know it for sure is to ask them. I'm just wondering what's going to happen with those who already ordered it at a lower price...

As for the Equinox Voice, that hardwiring variant only came up in the latest days. I think I've been the very first to have ordered this cable some months ago, but till a week ago there was no sign there would have been one hardwired option, even if this could make sense as pretty much every connector is supposed to have a negative impact on the sound. Noticeable or not, that depends on the connector's quality, and ofc from the quality of the used equipment.
    As for me, following their recommendation based on my equipment (they discourage sticking to the Voice if you don't have superb stuff able to make it shine) I'm going for the hardwired version, as the cost is the same. I'm getting a balanced to SE adapter, just in case I should ever need to drive my HD800 (and my old HD650) single-ended, which I doubt. The negative side of the history is that I won't be able to properly review the cable: I'm going to get my headphones directly in their modified status, thus I'll have no idea on how a stock HD800 sounds. I'll most likely post some comments about the cable's ergonomics and about the balanced-Voice-HD800 as a whole, but it's obvious I won't be able to do any comparisons btw the stock, the standard Equinox, the "connector Voice" and the hardwired Voice, unless I can find someone living near me owning an HD800. Hope to read some impressions should SAA bring their cables to some meeting...they seem to be very happy about what they achieved, so imho they should do it.

On a sidenote, I was told the Voice is a result of several years of development, at the start on existing headphones (HD600/650/...) and during the last 10 months on several HD800 prototypes they had at disposal. This could answer the question about how they could tune a cable for a yet to be released headphone...

4. gregorio
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarmel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Can anybody explain why this cable would be so bloody expensive in comparison to APS or Moon Audio? They also have the Voice now available for hardwiring. I would have posted this in the other threads about the Equinox or Voice but they got deleted for some reason.

That's easy to answer. If cable retailers can con people into buying a few feet cable for $800 which isn't going to make any difference whatsoever and only costs $80 to make, why not make cable for $100 and con people out of $1,400 instead?

G

5. Fafner
    Posts like this are those which usually make these threads get canceled.

What I find rather pathetic is the amount of arguments 95% of these posts offer. Cables don't make any difference, manufacturers are a bunch of burglars, those who believe them a bunch of idiots. Less trend-statements and more experience-based ones pls (assuming experience is there, not really sure about that). Not that I really care that much, frankly: it's all about my setup at the end.

6. olblueyez
    I love my Equinox cable. It is the same price I paid 6 months ago, the prices have not been raised.

WTH??????????

Equinox 650 Noir 9 Feet w/quarter inch plug = 319 bucks.

I think people are confusing the "Equinox" and the "Voice", two completely different products.

A comparable APS V3 is about 270 bucks. I owned both and to me the APS isnt worth 1 dollar as it only ruined the sound of my 650's. So guess what I consider a better value.

Here is why: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/ca...5/#post5660813

7. Fafner
    The price for the standard Equinox for the HD800 was increased, I think all the others prices haven't changed. The price for the Voice is still 1400$. But the standard Equinox for the HD800 was priced quite a bit lower (even if still higher than the Equinox 650) till some days ago.

8. olblueyez
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    The price for the standard Equinox for the HD800 was increased, I think all the others prices haven't changed. The price for the Voice is still 1400$. But the standard Equinox for the HD800 was priced quite a bit lower (even if still higher than the Equinox 650) till some days ago.

It was not increased, it was introduced at a higher cost. Is it exactly the same or is it different? You can look at it two ways. The Equinox 800 is the better cable for my headphone and knowing this I want to pay the premium or you can say, I will not pay 200 dollars extra for my headphone cable that goes with my 1400 dollar headphones and get an APS V3 that sounds inferior in every way. <~~hypothetical unless we are talking about my experience.

I recommend if the money is a big deal that you buy a less expensive headphone to start with and or utilize the SAA return policy that APS does not offer.

9. Fafner
    Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    It was not increased, it was introduced at a higher cost. Is it exactly the same or is it different?

The standard HD800 Equinox has been on their homepage for quite a few weeks now, although it wasn't available yet. Initial prices were lower than actual prices. But you're right, no cable was shipped at such prices. Haven't noticed if they were already taking orders for them (think they were). What I noticed is that they changed something in its description in the very latests days, which could imply that they did some modifications before making it available (btw, it isn't yet...June/July expected).

10. olblueyez
    I wonder what is different other than the connector? Maybe they revoiced the cable for the diffferent headphone and incorporated the price into the cable. I do notice they have a specific model for the 600/580, 650. and 800. This implies they are different. few hundred buck different? Who knows.

Wow, 400 bucks. I do see its different but sheeeesh, 400 more? Makes my butthole pucker.

OK, here is what you do, LOL, repeat after me and chant this to yourself when you punch in your credit card number. "There is no price too high for audio perfection".

11. Fafner
    No idea on this...that should be asked directly to SAA. I doubt they'd give you the plans of their designs, but I guess they would answer that. [​IMG]
    In the meantime, I'm waiting for my Voiced HD800...they call the Voice their very greatest achievement, and considering how nice the 650 Equinox did for me, I'm very curious...

12. olblueyez
    Quote:

No idea on this...that should be asked directly to SAA. I doubt they'd give you the plans of their designs, but I guess they would answer that. [​IMG]
    In the meantime, I'm waiting for my Voiced HD800...they call the Voice their very greatest achievement, and considering how nice the 650 Equinox did for me, I'm very curious...

Good for you, I am optomistic just like you that you will have one of the most amazing HP/Cable rigs on the planet. I cannot imagine you would not like it.

13. mrarroyo Contributor
    Quote:

Posts like this are those which usually make these threads get canceled.

What I find rather pathetic is the amount of arguments 95% of these posts offer. Cables don't make any difference, manufacturers are a bunch of burglars, those who believe them a bunch of idiots. Less trend-statements and more experience-based ones pls (assuming experience is there, not really sure about that). Not that I really care that much, frankly: it's all about my setup at the end.

What! did you forget your happy pill this morning? Or did you wake up and decided to offend those who believe in cables by calling them "idiots"? Chill out man, no need to be rude.

14. Fafner
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    What! did you forget your happy pill this morning? Or did you wake up and decided to offend those who believe in cables by calling them "idiots"? Chill out man, no need to be rude.

Hmm...maybe it's you the one who should chill out, calm down and take your time to understand the meaning of my post (was replying to that "cables are useless" guy if u didn't get that)? Do you think I would have ordered a 1400$ headphones cable if I didn't believe in cables? Do you think I would have invested in all what you can see in my sig if I didn't believe in cables? Wish ppl think and read before posting...

15. mrarroyo Contributor
    Quote:

... Wish ppl think and read before posting...

Nice way to end your post, now go back to the rock you crawled out ... Cheers! [​IMG]

Next

Last