Another preamp / headphone amp question
Feb 15, 2006 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

replytoken

500+ Head-Fier
I am interested in a tube headphone amp that can also pull duty as a preamp. However, what I am looking for is an amp/preamp that will accept three inputs, most only accept two. I know that Woo Audio has a model (WA2), but does anybody know of any others that have three inputs and sell for less than $1k? Also, I am not interested in a switchbox to provide me with additional inputs.

Feb 15, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 7
I suspect that just about all of the custom built head amps can be configured this way. For example, I'm pretty sure that Singlepower could offer you three inputs and a pre-amp output on any of their amps.

You could also check out Albert's products at http://www.Space-Tech-Lab.com. For example, this
http://www.space-tech-lab.com/SP-HA-101.html
is a head-amp with pre-out, and is customisable to have as many as six inputs.

Most of the other head-amps he lists are actually designed as power amps rather than pre-amps. But you should also check out his pre-amps. I talked to him recently about adding a headphone out to one of his pre-amps, and he was extremely open to making just about ANY customisation work. I've never heard any of his gear, but the few who have all seem to find it awesome. So if you know what you want, you should at least talk to him and see what he can do for you. (In my case, one of the options we discussed was to take the basic QA001 pre-amp, add the headphone out and two extra tubes to the circuit in order to lower the output impedence. Those changes would have added about US$200 to a pre-amp that now lists for something like US$450. That same pre-amp has been reviewed by users as rivaling $3000 pre-amps in their systems).

Without having heard either, my only real complaint is that the space tech amps don't look nearly as sexy as the singlepower ones.

Chad

Feb 15, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 7
How about looking for used preamps with decent headphone jacks? In that price range, you could probably find one or two models by Melos. I know Sonic Frontiers Line 3 has a headphone jack, but check out Line 1 or old SFL1/SFL2 to see if they have headphone jacks, both should be within your price range and have fairly decent headphone jacks.

Feb 22, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 7
I had pretty much decided on a Mapletree EAR++ to solve my needs, but my better half wanted to know if there were any alternatives that might have a more polished look. Other than the suggestins mentioned above, can anybody think of any new tube preamp/headphone amps that sell for no more than $700? Or, are there any integrated tube amps that have a decent headphone out that sell for less than $1,350? I still like the idea of the Mapletree, but we have not been able to "style" it in a way that she finds appealing (I would prefer no wood panels and no enlarged faceplate, but I do not believe that Dr. Lloyd can build it this way, although I could be wrong). Any suggestions? And, the unit still needs to have three inputs and one output. Thanks!

Feb 23, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 7
Go to Galen Carol Audio and look for the Antique Sound OTL 32 for $695.

It is a full function preamp with remote.

I would listen to Gundam and also look for the Melos SHA-1. Nice sound and simple.

Feb 23, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by replytoken
I had pretty much decided on a Mapletree EAR++ to solve my needs, but my better half wanted to know if there were any alternatives that might have a more polished look. Other than the suggestins mentioned above, can anybody think of any new tube preamp/headphone amps that sell for no more than $700? Or, are there any integrated tube amps that have a decent headphone out that sell for less than $1,350? I still like the idea of the Mapletree, but we have not been able to "style" it in a way that she finds appealing (I would prefer no wood panels and no enlarged faceplate, but I do not believe that Dr. Lloyd can build it this way, although I could be wrong). Any suggestions? And, the unit still needs to have three inputs and one output. Thanks!

I have a Mapletree Ear+ HD Purist, and believe me, it looks much better live than it does in the pictures. Actually quite polished in a retro way. Tell your better half she can pick the finish on the wood panels to match her decor, and she'll probably like the idea.

My friends all like the retro look of the tubes and the HD is quite the conversation piece. It resides (in a $500 hand polished wood piece of furniture) on a shelf under the LCD TV next to all the fancy polished modern SS electronics boxes. Inevitably, everyone sees the HD and ignores the modern looking stuff. "Way Cool", is the comment I hear most often about it.

BTW, it sounds good too. Awful hard to beat the sound for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back