Another pair of Grados that would be a nice upgrade from SR-60s?
Jul 15, 2005 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

J-Pak

Headphoneus Supremus
I still have my SR-60's that I got 2 years ago
rs1smile.gif

I stopped using them after a few months since they burned my ears after a few hours of use. After finding this place I bought replacement pads and stretched out the headband a lot (was too afraid to before), and I've fallen in love with them all over again (god I love that feeling)

I'm looking to upgrade to another pair of Grados or Alessandros since they have such an awesome signature (and are just plain fun), I'll put my 590s for gaming since the soundstage is nice. My question is what would be a worthwhile upgrade? They'll be driven from my pimeta for the time being but I'm thinking of getting a Gilmore Lite in the not so near future (year or two).

What I listen to mostly: classic rock, some accoustic (mainly Bob Dylan for now, but I'm expanding), industrial, trip hop/experimental type, modern rock, alternative/grunge.

Now I don't want to create a set budget since I know if I get something lesser I'm going to want to upgrade again. I'll say under $500 or 600 would be reasonable. Thanks in advance guys

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #2 of 25
well, i can only comment on a budget of $300, as that was what mine was.

i tried the 225 and 325i's, and prefered the 325i's. clearer highs, deeper, stiffer bass. my girlfriend could hear it in the store too, and she doesn't have the best ears. to me, the 325i's did everything the 225's did, but just a little bit better.

so i walked out with the 325i for $300.

but if your budget is $500 or $600, you have to wonder if you can find a pair of used RS-1's. I've never listened to them.

I think if you're spending that much money, you should really be listening yourself at a store that has the whole grado line, and decide for yourself. I think spending that much without auditioning would be really silly.

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #6 of 25
yeah, i hear you. where do you live? it might be worth driving an hour to a hi end shop that has what you need, if there is one. i'd do it.

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #8 of 25
In your budget you can find a pair of RS-1 easily on the FS forums, I've seen them go for like $450 even. If you enjoy your SR-60's, you should really hear the RS series, it adds a whole other couple of layers of Grado on top of that sound we already love!
biggrin.gif
Plus they will easily sound great out of your current amp...I ran a pair of RS-2's out of my old JMT Pimeta and they sounded fantastic!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:05 AM Post #10 of 25
Yea, I don't really know on that one. Maybe they think that they inhibit a bad price point? In any case I still think they sound amazing and would be a perfect way to get a little more Grado for your ears. IIRC, the bass was what really got my foot tapping over my SR-225's...it was so clear and powerful. Needless to say, I've got my sights set on some RS's as well...that or get another pair of MS-2i's and have them recabled.
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #11 of 25
Yeah the snappyness, and clarity in the 60s is just fantastic, plus they're just so incredibly fun to listen to. I don't really regret the year or so I spent with the HD590s but these things are far superior to a headphone that cost about 30% more (although the 590 had more seperation)

edit: huh headphone.com said they prefered the DT880 to the RS1. I've listened to DT880s from a very good amp and wasn't really blown away.

Jul 15, 2005 at 8:16 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
I've listened to DT880s from a very good amp and wasn't really blown away.

Hi J-Pak,

Just like you said, it's a personal preference that we all favour one headphone over the others. I recommend to try buying a pair of used SR-325i and get a Gilmore Lite without the PSU.

Although the prospect of owning a pair of RS-1 is tempting, without amplification, RS-1 cannot perform to their potential, so you might want to try SR-325i with an amp first.

Just my two cents,

Overlunge (fellow SR-60 fan)

Jul 15, 2005 at 8:26 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
edit: huh headphone.com said they prefered the DT880 to the RS1. I've listened to DT880s from a very good amp and wasn't really blown away.

It just shows that you're a true Grado person...
I say get the most expensive Grado amp + combo you can afford, maybe even suffer for awhile, and then be happy for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back