Another Newbie Post
Apr 2, 2004 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Chimmy

New Head-Fier
Okay, I've been lurking about these forums for about two weeks now. I recently got a Dell DJ and I'm looking to upgrade the earbuds that came with it. They don't sound that bad to me (please excuse me, I am but a neophyte). However, my eyes were opened when I started researching getting a new set of HP. However, there is soooo much information to digest. The info on this forum and at headphone.com have been helpful. However, I'm still having trouble making a decision. For example, I'm not sure if I want open or closed, in-ear, etc. I should probably start with the basics:

1. I listen to mostly classic rock, but also listen to alt. rock, jazz, rap/hip-hop, classical.

2. I'll mostly use these cans for home use but will use them as a portable set as well. I won't wear them to jog - I'll just use the crappy buds that came with the DJ because I don't want to sweat on a nice pair of HP. I may upgrade to better HP for running in the future, but that's for another day.

3. I'll be using it with my DJ, without an amp. Don't plan on getting an amp.

4. Price range - I'd like to stay under $200. I think this might be a bit much for my first time - I am a HP virgin after all
biggrin.gif
Not sure if I should just dip my toe to see how the water is (i.e., get a cheaper pair of HP) or jump in with both feet (spend a bunch).

After a bit of searching, I have taken note of these HPs:

1. Senn. PX100 - these would be good for portability and are pretty cheap. Might be a good start.

2. Senn. HD497

3. Senn. HD515

4. Senn. HD280 Pro

5. Beyer. DT 231

6. Grado SR60

7. Grado SR225 - seem to be good for rock music

8. Etytomic ER-6

9. Shure E2c

10. Koss KSC35 - another good intro pair with portability

11. Sony D66 Eggos

Of course, any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Apr 2, 2004 at 2:15 PM Post #4 of 8
I'm not going to help much in narrowing down your choices, but I would suggest a strategy of getting a nice lightweight portable headphone first, like the PX100 or the KSC-35 for $30 or $40. Then, work on choosing a full-size home 'phone. If you constrain your choice of home 'phone to those that could possibly be used portably, you probably won't end up with the best choice for either situation.

Apr 2, 2004 at 7:09 PM Post #6 of 8
Okay, I think I've narrowed things down:

I'm either going to get the Senn PX100's as a starter just because of their portability, or get one of the following:

1. Senn. HD497
2. Beyer DT231
3. Grado SR60
4. Sony D66 Eggos

Any thoughts?

Apr 2, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 8
Why not go all out? How about AudioTechnica ATH-A900. It a bit big, but it sounds really good. One of the best buy around 200.

Apr 2, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Chimmy
I'm either going to get the Senn PX100's as a starter just because of their portability, or get one of the following:

1. Senn. HD497
2. Beyer DT231
3. Grado SR60
4. Sony D66 Eggos

I think the Grado SR-60 is a great headphone to start out with. That was one of my first good cans and I still have a pair even after upgrading to more expensive ones. They aren't exactly the most portable, but they are light enough to carry anywhere so that's what I use them for. All in all they are an excellent bang for the buck. I can't say the same for the Eggos. I didn't think they sounded very good for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back