Another Newb Question about Headphones
May 22, 2011 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

treyedean

New Head-Fier
I have never owned a more than $20 pair of headphones.  The last set I bought were some Phillips earbuds that were ok.  I went on vacation and was going to be taking a long plane ride and I finally broke down and purchased a decent set of earbuds.  I bought the Sennheiser CX 475 earbuds from Best Buy.  Sadly there are the best sounding headphones I have ever heard.  I really like them but they are not really good for listening at home on the computer or around the house.  I am now ready to purchase my first serious set of headphones.  At first I wanted to get some Bose headphones but after educating myself, and comparing them to my earbuds, I know better.

I listen to classic rock, modern rock and techno (Mostly Drum and Bass and Trance).  I occasionally listen to other types like country, R&B, Jazz, Blues and Classical but not nearly as often as the Rock and Techno. So this is what I have in mind when I consider the headphones I want to purchase.  I also want to keep it under $100.  So I have done the research and narrowed it down the the following choices.

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
Sure SRH440
Ultrasone HFI-450
Sony MDR7506
Sony MDR-V6

The earbuds I have are Sennheiser and I have heard from others that they make great headphones.  I had a cheap pair of sony headphones that I wasn't very impressed with and don't really know about the Sony's but everything I have read said that these are good.  I know nothing about the Sure or the Ultrasone.  My question is which of "these 5" would you get and why?  I am looking for best overall sound quality, comfort, and durability.  I want these to last for several years.  Thanks in advance.

May 23, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #3 of 4
I did consider them but I decided I wanted an over the ear design instead of the on ear design.  I have actually made a purchase based on a recommendation from a friend of mine.  He is a Grammy award winning sound engineer.  He suggested to me the Sony MDR7506.  Based on what I have read around here and other reviews, I think I will be happy with them.  The real take away from all of my research is that you really cant go wrong with any of these selections in the sub $100 category.  My friend also suggested the Sennheiser and the Sure headphones. It all comes down to style preference.

May 23, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #4 of 4
Rock and Techno? Hm, if you're willing to add in an extra $50, the HFI-580 does significantly better than the HFI-450.

Also I second the Grados option, but seeing that you don't want supra-aurals, I guess the Ultrasones are your next bet. Rock may be as good the the Grados, but it is a killer when it comes to Techno and other energetic genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back