Another in need of advice.
Nov 12, 2008 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

thornygravy

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, need some advice..
Here's my situation, I've been using grado sr80s for a couple months now and I still love these things but I've been getting bored of the same sound.

I would like to purchase some closed headphones. My budget is ~$200

The amp I would be using is a PA2v2.

I listen to a lot of black/industrial/gothic metal and If I could change anything about the sr80s is that keyboards seem a little recessed. I like a good amount of bass and It doesn't matter how goofy these things look because I'll be using them almost always at home.

I'm open to almost anything, I'm not against certain brands or anything (that's why I think it's so hard for me to decide lol.) Thanks..

Nov 12, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by thornygravy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, need some advice..
Here's my situation, I've been using grado sr80s for a couple months now and I still love these things but I've been getting bored of the same sound.

I would like to purchase some closed headphones. My budget is ~$200

The amp I would be using is a PA2v2.

I listen to a lot of black/industrial/gothic metal and If I could change anything about the sr80s is that keyboards seem a little recessed. I like a good amount of bass and It doesn't matter how goofy these things look because I'll be using them almost always at home.

I'm open to almost anything, I'm not against certain brands or anything (that's why I think it's so hard for me to decide lol.) Thanks..

I just order some JVC HA-RX900s this morning (Tuesday) from buy.com for $72.00 (including shipping and tax).
When they arrive I'll post a review, might save you a few dollers with the JVCs.

Nov 12, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacoboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just order some JVC HA-RX900s this morning (Tuesday) from buy.com for $72.00 (including shipping and tax).
When they arrive I'll post a review, might save you a few dollers with the JVCs.

I really like the 900s, but I'm going to have to disagree on this one: there is a coloring/recession in the midrange, which wouldn't make your keyboard-hungry ears very happy!
frown.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 14
Grado 325i's will amaze you given your choice of musical genres. The 325i's are my favourite cans (and I have a lot of them). They excell in metal and goth and rock and punk and blues.

If you really want closed (I have a four pair of closed phones and prefer, for the most part, my open ones), try the Beyerdynamic DT 770 (250 ohm consumer model). There are four iterations of the DT 770. The consumer 250ohm is the most balanced that I know of and I have a pair and like them a lot. Pity you missed the Amazon sale. Maybe you can score a pair used (some bought 'em and didn't find them to be their cuppa tea--just be ready to amp 'em). These may please you immensely--great cans for metal.

A weird choice would be the Yuin PK1's (available used at Headfi classifieds). Ear buds with significant bass and a good sound stage. Very nice as long as you amp them. These are simply amazing for ear buds. I really like my pair. My wife loves her PK2's (no need to amp). The PK1's are superior, but the Pk2's are a bargain.

If you want keyboards to sound great, try the AKG 271s or 272's. Great closed cans if amped, but lean bass. Still very accurate sound. I like my 271s immensely and prefer then to the Beyerdynamic DT 770's.

Cheers!

Nov 12, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 14
The Ultrasone HFi-780 may be worth taking into consideration. Reportedly quite Grado-like with lots of energy and a strong bottom-end. It's just within $200, is closed, and should be relatively easy to power.

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 14
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, As of now I think I'm leaning toward the Beyerdynamic DT 770s or the Ultrasone HFi-780 they seem to be the best I can get with my price range. If anyone thinks I can get a better closed phone for $200 I would love to know about it.

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #8 of 14
Denon AH-D1001. as low as $80. i paid $129 for mine from Goodcans. IMHO they CANNOT be touched for a closed can in this category.

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #10 of 14
M-Audio Studiophile Q-40

Also...WHERE YOU BEEN?????!!!!

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by thornygravy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, As of now I think I'm leaning toward the Beyerdynamic DT 770s or the Ultrasone HFi-780 they seem to be the best I can get with my price range. If anyone thinks I can get a better closed phone for $200 I would love to know about it.

In this case I would go with the Ultrasones because the DT770s are going to sound weak with the amp you have. The ultrasones are a lot easier to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back