Another "ideally" thread
Mar 17, 2006 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

pnG

New Head-Fier
Okay Im investing in new headphones and some kanal phones, and would like some assistance.

Headphones:
Will be used traveling and beieng indoors. Mainly with my 3rd gen iPod (70% Hiphop, some Drum n Bass and jungle). At the moment i own the Sennheiser HD433, but im getting tired of the supra-aural phones - looking for closed cans, and want some more intense sound. The looks of them are a pretty big factor for me aswell. I am willing to spend around 120$ - less would ofcourse not hurt.
The spotlight right now is on: Sennheiser HD500, Koss UR40 and mabye the Philips SBC HS900.

Canal Phones:
Will be used wherever i cant take my headphones. Mostly school and other places where it would be more handt with somthing to stuff in your pockets. To be used with my iPod aswell. I would prefer somting in the cheap range - def less than 50$. I dont have any experience with canals and dont have any products in the spotlight at the moment.

All and any feedback is much apreciated. Thanks.

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by pnG
the hd280 thread on this board talks alot of shiat 'bout them tho.
is the sould really that cold?

Sonic tastes vary. I like the way they sound. Deep bass, and very clean sound. A forum search for 280 should turn up both good and bad opinions. Also check the reviews at headphone.com and headphonereviews.org

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #9 of 22
The 280s are a vicegrip. They do have a fantastic sound (after a proper burn-in, I gave mine over 200 hours of white noise), especially for a $100 can aimed more than slightly at the DJ market (witness the "silver" variant). As mentioned above, they do provide excellent isolation, but they will give your head a nice squeeze in the process.
280smile.gif
[I maintain that the 280 smile should be more oval shaped to reflect the pressure applied by these cans.]

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #10 of 22
I tried my freinds HD500's and theyre really comftable and imo looks better than the 280's (even tho ive never seen them besides pics).

Plus durability would be nice - a category where the 500's seem superior. Its hard to find anything about the 500s inhere - should I be considering them at all?

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #11 of 22
Used Ultrasone HFi-550. I'd sell you mine, but I cant currently find any higher end Ultrasone's to replace them. I love their sound, and I want to move up the product line myself.

Mar 23, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #13 of 22
As for earbuds - check out Creative EP-630. I think they are the closest thing to senn cx-300, soundwise, you can get in your preferred prize range. They'll cost you about 20 (senn about 50 i guess) and almost sound the same.
Or if you want something a little more expensive, shure e2, ety er6(i?) and super.fi 3... ebay might have em cheeper.

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #14 of 22
etysmile.gif
got my pair of ep-630 20 min ago. A courier knocked on my door and held them in his arms...

I am trying these out because i have never tried iem's before and want to get used to the type and to see whether or not they (the iem-type) are for me. If I like them I am probably going for e500
tongue.gif

Up til know, I have been using portapro when I am out and around. IMO they sound good and have a huge soundstage but let out and leak in a lot of sound. Not very good in the city or on the buss or sub. That's where IEM come in.

Now: the sound of the ep-630 surprized me, in a good way. I have never heard earphones sound this good. I compared them with portapro (listening to emmanuel top - generation) and found that:
The detail is better - one can distinguish sounds better, I like this when listening to elektronika.
The soundstage is NOT as good as the portapro. Sounds like everything is produced inside the head. Portapro are way better here.
Bass - is not as good as portapro, if you just plug out the portapro and connect ep-630. But i found that if you use an equalizer they get closer. Although they are not exactly as "thumpy" as portapros.
Treble - pleasant surprize again. I have heard alot of earbuds (mostly cheap one's like this one) that are very sibilant and almost hurt the ear at some frequenses. Well not this one! Not as "nice" as portapro but very good.
The sound on portapros are also warmer. Which I like. Bottom end is I like portapro more - more fun to listen to, but out on the street I would prefer ep-630 beacuse they isolate outside noise pretty good.
Overall I am very happy with them (although remember I have only had them for 20mins... take everything I write here with a grain of salt)!!

Not bad at all for 18$
I can only imagine how the e500's will sound, I should prepare for having a heart attack...

Mar 24, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #15 of 22
cool - im just waiting to make a sneak attack on ebay for 500s or 280s. IEM are a bitch to buy on ebay tho cause of high shipping costs, any good online shops?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back