Another "I got Beyer Pads for my Sony V6!" 56k warning
Feb 7, 2006 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jlo mein

In some place that's not Canada ....the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
So today in the mail, at long last, after having 7506's for like 2-3 years, I got Beyerdynamic DT 250 velour pads. A big thanks goes out to Rix2357! I had so much trouble trying to order these pads in Canada, and Rix was a big help ordering them from Beyer USA for me and shipping them northbound.

First opened my package. It had been hastily sealed up with Canada Border Services Agency tape after inspection. The tissue paper was all crumpled in a ball and the pads were squished against one side
mad.gif
. Good job CBSA on repacking. Below is a pic of the pads, and you can still see them slightly imprinted from being squished (they have since expanded back to shape).

beyerpads.jpg

Next I removed one of the old pads from its driver.

bare7506.jpg

To make removing the foam driver cover easier, it's best to turn the old pad inside out.

sonypad.jpg

Separating it wasn't that hard. Even with the glue holding them together, it came apart cleanly. This is probably from natural hair oils deteriorating the glue haha...
icon10.gif
(others have reported the pleather tearing because the glue is too strong).

sonyseparated.jpg

Next I stuck the foam cover onto the back of the Beyer pad (which I turned inside out). The remains of the glue hold it lightly in place, although it doesn't help much when you try reversing the Beyer pad and sticking it on the driver housing.

beyercovered.jpg

This entire operation had been simple so far, and the hardest part (not even that hard), was getting the Beyer pad on the driver housing. Basically you fit the lip of the pad over as much of the driver as you can, and then just stretch the Beyer pads to get the rest of the lip securely on. The Beyer pad is very durable and will not rip when you try to stretch it.

newpad.jpg

After, you want to make sure the foam cover is seated properly, because its likely that it has scrunched up. I just used a finger to push it in under the pads so that it was lying flat.

insides.jpg

It's best to do this process one at a time instead of doing both at once. So just complete the steps for the other side after.

finished.jpg

DONE!!! Whole process takes about 20 minutes. It is definitely easier than I thought. Finished product looks much better than with the old pads. One thing I noticed is the velour pads attract more dust and are harder to clean than the pleather.

The new pads are also a little firmer, but will probably break in with time. They can cover a larger ear, as my ear lobes touched the inside of the pleather pad, but not the new velour pads. There is a slight increase in isolation. Even though the isolation increases, they seem more porous, allowing your ears to breathe. It is a lot cooler to wear these pads than the pleather in a warm room.

Sound is pretty much the same, with the mids being just a touch recessed. This will probably go away after the foam in the pads become broken in and squish more with age.

The original instructions I followed are here:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ht=velour+pads

Overall I think this is a worthwhile purchase for V6/7506 owners. With regular use, the pleather pads need to be replaced after 2-3 years anyways (mine were already starting to rip), so why not replace them with velours!

Feb 7, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 7
Nice work! Great photos and write-up. I would encourage all V6/7506 owners to consider this great, cheap, and easy mod.

Feb 7, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 7
I've done this to mine and the comfort difference is huge IMO. I plan to do this to my girlfriends set as a gift to her some time when she doesn't expect it.

Feb 7, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #4 of 7
Gotta admit, whatever you think about their sound, Beyer makes very comfortable headphones
orphsmile.gif

Feb 7, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #5 of 7
Great thread. I'm in Canada too and my V6's hurt my ears way too much. Does anybody know of an easier way to get them than having somebody from the States to ship it north? I was going to get it from bhphotovideo.com, but the shipping costs as much as the pads!

Feb 7, 2006 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 7
raccoon, I see you found my failed try at buying the pads thread here:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137154

gl trying to deal with White Radio, after waiting on hold for 15 minutes (long distance), they just tried to pass me off to a local distributor that buys from them, who was even LESS helpful.

BTW what's not included in that thread is that I actually did get in contact with Derek at Europroducts Marketing in New Westminster, BC. DEREK PASSED ME OFF TO A LOCAL AUDIO STORE!! Even he wouldn't sell me beyer pads. So I phone up the store, Commerical Electronics in downtown Vancouver, get transferred to the accessories/parts guy, get his voicemail, leave a message, and he never calls back.

In total, I contacted 4 different companies (Beyer USA, White Radio, Europroducts Marketing, Commercial Electronics), and never got any pads. Obviously after this whole experience of being told to go elsewhere I was just fed up with the canadian distribution system. At least I'm happy now with the pads and can forget all this trouble...

Feb 8, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 7
I emailed the head of sales of White Radio yesterday. Surprisingly, he replied today, saying they "have these in quantity." He did, however, ask me who I was. He might not be so helpful since I told him I was a student. Maybe they only deal with storefronts? He also mentioned that he'll try to send me to the closest dealer. I'm hoping they can help me out, because I've had the V6's for less than a week and I hate them with a passion. I can't keep them on for more than an hour.
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back