Another hobby to replace audio?
Jul 10, 2018 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

ChasingDopamine

Head-Fier
Hi everyone.

I've always loved music and hifi audio. unfortunately a few months ago I had an amplifier accident and I've been left with tinnitus and hearing problems. I've tried to get back into headphones since then but it makes things worse and I've had to give up the hobby.

I was wondering if anyone had any other hobbies they are as passionate about? Giving up audio had left an emptiness in my heart and mind, and I'm struglling to find another hobby which is as relaxing and effortless yet stimulating and involving.

Jul 10, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 71
Photography? Like this hobby, it is possible to start out small and affordable but go upwards as you grow and further need or appreciate better equipment. I don't know how it would work for you but I find the whole process, especially the time spent post-processing, both stimulating and involving and I'm still learning, many years later.

Jul 10, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 71
Gardening and mineral collecting are two hobbies I love. Also terrarium keeping with things like poison dart frogs, or reptiles. You would be surprised. I really love mineral collecting personally. I'm sorry to hear about your injury. Does speaker listening also cause as much issue? If not, get into speaker rigs. As well, volunteering and social causes, or take educational classes in something, paint, dance, so many amazing options. Consider this freedom from being stationary.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 71
Photography? Like this hobby, it is possible to start out small and affordable but go upwards as you grow and further need or appreciate better equipment. I don't know how it would work for you but I find the whole process, especially the time spent post-processing, both stimulating and involving and I'm still learning, many years later.

This one does interest me. I have been into taking pictures since I was a teen, and even to this day I take alot of nature photos on my samsung note 8. I've been reading about it on some photography forums and it seems like a viable option to upgrade to dedicated enthusiast gear. Perhaps I could look into an entry level DSLR and see if it's the right fit.

Gardening and mineral collecting are two hobbies I love. Also terrarium keeping with things like poison dart frogs, or reptiles. You would be surprised. I really love mineral collecting personally. I'm sorry to hear about your injury. Does speaker listening also cause as much issue? If not, get into speaker rigs. As well, volunteering and social causes, or take educational classes in something, paint, dance, so many amazing options. Consider this freedom from being stationary.

Speaker listening isn't as problematic but still sometimes causes discomfort and louder tinnitus. The lack of a dedicated listenable space is also still an issue as I live in a flat. Maybe one day I'll find myself living suitable environment for a speaker sysyem, but it still won't exactly be even a semi portable hobby. Perhaps volunteering might be fulfilling though, thank you both for the ideas.

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 71
This one does interest me. I have been into taking pictures since I was a teen, and even to this day I take alot of nature photos on my samsung note 8. I've been reading about it on some photography forums and it seems like a viable option to upgrade to dedicated enthusiast gear. Perhaps I could look into an entry level DSLR and see if it's the right fit.

Let me know if you need any advice on picking out suitable beginner gear, I'd be happy to help. I've been into photography, on and off, since I was about 12 years old, so over 40 years for me. In the last 5 years I've been more active and have bought and sold a lot of equipment (Canon, Nikon, Fuji and Sony) so I am familiar with what is currently available.

Jul 10, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 71
Let me know if you need any advice on picking out suitable beginner gear, I'd be happy to help. I've been into photography, on and off, since I was about 12 years old, so over 40 years for me. In the last 5 years I've been more active and have bought and sold a lot of equipment (Canon, Nikon, Fuji and Sony) so I am familiar with what is currently available.

Do you have any recommendations for a beginner around the 500-1000 mark? I guess I would mostly be taking nature pictures and videos.

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 71
Judging by your avatar and handle name-are you a cyclist? If not, I'd say give it a go. Also surfski paddling if the water better suits you. Both will provide ample dopamine for you with an added side of adrenaline.

Jul 11, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 71
Photography is another hobby of mine beside Audio. For me, I really enjoy Fujifilm's offerings. Possibly not the most advanced in terms of pure specs etc. but the experience
of using my X-Pro 2 is awesome. I'd suggest going to a camera store and picking a camera that suits you. I think most of the current cameras produce good enough
image quality that the experience of using one is equally important.

Jul 11, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #9 of 71
Also enjoy photography. Recently “downgraded” from a canon 70D dslr setup to a micro 4/3 system (Panasonic gx85) and love it more now than ever.

Jul 11, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #12 of 71
1 Exercise. I have been doing Gym and aerobics exercise from 35. I’m now 56 but I’m stronger than I was 30. I have more energy with power. I go skiing for a week or two every year. I also go hiking regularly.

2 Studying for self-improvement! After graduating from college, I keep collecting diplomas, certificates, and degrees part time. Some of these certificates were recognised by no one but some of them were from world top-U. The most recent degree that I have completed, at age 53, was an JD in 2014 and I had got an offer from U Northwestern for a LLM partime.

3 listen to radio... I bought some boombox to put in the dinning rooms, sleeping room and bathroom. Just listen to radio( not for the sound effects)and it’s fun.

4 collecting things that I like: for me the antique Japanese toys, boombox, some beautiful ceramic to use( but available of space is a problematic).

5 travels...I love to travel to various places, try the local food and sightseeing...

Jul 21, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #14 of 71
Consider getting into writing, either poetry or fiction. You don't have to start with a novel (that's what I do), but you can start out with short stories. It can be a very rewarding hobby and it is not expensive (except perhaps in time).

My primary second hobby is cycling--looks like it is for you as well????? Cycling is expensive, though--a good pair of shoes can be $300. And don't even get me started on carbon road bikes. BMC, Pinarello, Cervelo, Colnago, etc.Yikes! :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back