Another hobby to replace audio?
May 16, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #61 of 71
It's really hard to do a hobby when I don't have much time. But I want to tell you that I have a hobby that is heavily technical. Not so long ago I saw on the website how to make various collateral. And you know I liked it so much. That I decided to do the same thing. And started a little bit of learning https://qarea.com/industries/ecommerce . I liked it so much. So, I am still engaged in web-development. And this is my hobby.
I would suggest you augment your new hobby by learning to write valid HTML and CSS by hand.

https://www.w3schools.com/

BTW, my best friend online lives in Kyiv, I doubt you know him, we met at the FreeBSD forums years ago. I had contact with him a couple weeks ago. He's staying somewhere outside the City and doing alright. I wish you and yours all the best.

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #62 of 71
For me it would be movies. I have a sizable collection of B&W Japanese films and prefer those of pre-WWII period.
You get visuals and sound so you could listen to the soundtrack.

Computer graphics is something I enjoy and it's at your fingertips. Gimp is free and comparable to PhotoShop.

Jun 30, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #66 of 71
Hi everyone.

I've always loved music and hifi audio. unfortunately a few months ago I had an amplifier accident and I've been left with tinnitus and hearing problems. I've tried to get back into headphones since then but it makes things worse and I've had to give up the hobby.

I was wondering if anyone had any other hobbies they are as passionate about? Giving up audio had left an emptiness in my heart and mind, and I'm struglling to find another hobby which is as relaxing and effortless yet stimulating and involving.
Golf ⛳

Not only is it an all consuming hobby which is both rewarding and frustrating, you can obsess over your equipment and then go online and fight with other golfers about earth shatteringly important topics such as: steel vs graphite, forged vs cast, cavity back vs blades, and can you really tell the difference between $50/dozen balls and $20/dozen balls.

So it’s just like audio except quieter and outdoors.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #68 of 71
OP seems long gone from this thread he started 4 years ago.
I hope he found his hearing recovered - to a large degree if not 100% - given a little break. A singular amplifier "incident" could certainly cause hearing problems, but I'm not sure it would be necessarily permanent. The human brain is amazing, and can learn to adjust for deficiencies to a large degree. On the other hand, if OP starts to fixate on their hearing, they may go "the other way" and obsess over deficiencies which may have even been there before the event! At the end of the day, we all have to learn to relax enough to enjoy our hi-fi systems for the intended purpose: experiencing music.

I've known a friend who suddenly "gave up" on hifi after getting particularly frustrated with tinnitus, then settled down after a little break and happily got right back into it :)

Personally, I've noticed the "buzzing" kind tinnitus since I was a kid (especially when stressed), so I don't obsess about it because I know it's always been there. I also believe getting regular exercise can help mitigate various issues like this.

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #69 of 71
It may apparently also be related to circulatory issues (if you develop sudden tinnitus here in Germany you are generally put on a drip immediately) or even infection…

Aug 7, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #70 of 71
You’re not a real musician until you can tune your instrument by the ringing in your ears.

🎸

Users who are viewing this thread

Back