Another headphone vs. AMP/DAC upgrade question thread...
May 5, 2015 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

notfitforpublic

500+ Head-Fier
Hello folks!

I hate to start one of these threads, because I know most of you all hate reading them, but I’m a little stuck and would appreciate some more experienced wisdom. I apologize for the following wall of text but I wanted to cover most of the typical follow up questions asked in threads like this.

Currently have Mac Mini>E07k>HD558 as a desktop setup as well as a Fiio X1>E11k>Over Ear Momentums or GR07 BE. Library consists of a mix from APLA to poorly encoded MP3's I'm gradually trying to replace (I've found after moving to more expensive headphones, this was a significant bump) Although I enjoy them all for various reasons, I'd like to get more out of my desktop setup. Love the 558's, but would like to get some more detail, larger soundstage, and perhaps a touch more base response (not as bloated as the Momentums). I quite like the sound sig from the 558's... I just want something that will do it better. 

The X2's really grabbed me for the next set of cans, as it seems they would provide the biggest step in the right direction without having to upgrade the E07k. After some timely research, I'm not sure that's entirely true. I live in Canada so unfortunately there is 0 chance of being able to audition different gear. Calgary has little for retail locations and those that do carry hifi gear are of limited selection and no listening stations.

So, the ever repeating question is this: I've got around $300 to spend on either the X2’s if the E07k will do them justice, or an O2/ODAC combo to improve the SQ out of the 558's(?) and give me a greater range of future growth to maybe the HD650 or again, the X2's (choose the O2 because of its reviews/availability here in Canada from a trusted retailer). Unfortunately, I just don't have the means to do both at the same time.

Primary use is music, some, but little gaming. Music genres are very scattered but live primarily in the 90's grunge alternative rock era as well as jazz.

Would really appreciate any suggestions or experience anyone is willing to offer. If anyone has owned both the 558’s and the X2’s, would love to hear from you!

Cheers folks.

May 6, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 6
The Phillips X2 are not difficult to drive. Your current headphone amps should be able to do so, unlike many other headphones in that price range where the headphones are more difficult to drive and perhaps could use more power.

Get your headphones first, then assess how they do with your current amplification :)

May 7, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 6
The Phillips X2 are not difficult to drive. Your current headphone amps should be able to do so, unlike many other headphones in that price range where the headphones are more difficult to drive and perhaps could use more power.

Get your headphones first, then assess how they do with your current amplification
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers, I kinda figured as much. maybe just needed someone else to say it out loud. Have any opinions on the X2 as a step up from the 558?

May 8, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 6
  Cheers, I kinda figured as much. maybe just needed someone else to say it out loud. Have any opinions on the X2 as a step up from the 558?

I own the 50-Ohm HD558 and they are the oldest headphones I have that I still like to use.
I've never listened to the Philips Fidelio headphones, but I'm fairly sure you will find them an upgrade to the HD558 (like more bass).
The E07K should easily drive the 30-Ohm Fidelio headphones.

You also might consider selling off the E07K, FiiO X1, E11K and buy the FiiO X3 Gen 2 (X3K), one DAP to rule them all.

May 8, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #6 of 6
  It's probably better for you to buy new gear after May 31!

Yup! that much is already decided 
beerchug.gif

I own the 50-Ohm HD558 and they are the oldest headphones I have that I still like to use.
I've never listened to the Philips Fidelio headphones, but I'm fairly sure you will find them an upgrade to the HD558 (like more bass).
The E07K should easily drive the 30-Ohm Fidelio headphones.

You also might consider selling off the E07K, FiiO X1, E11K and buy the FiiO X3 Gen 2 (X3K), one DAP to rule them all.

I would really like to make this happen. Didn't think there would be much interest around here for them though. Guess theres no harm throwing up a FS ad and seeing what happens...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back