Another HAPPY Raptor Owner
Jun 28, 2005 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

donlin

Headphoneus Supremus
I picked up my Raptor from Ray Samuels almost a week ago and I can say that this is the best headphone amp I have ever owned without question. There have already been very detailed reviews written here and I will just say I agree. Qualities I am most pleased with are the sense of the recorded space and the great location and separation of instruments as well as the best bass yet (deep and controlled). Having this kind of quality for $1175.00 is amazing. My previous amp coast almost twice as much and sounds slow and congested in comparison.

In my opionion, this should be considered the official amp for Grado RS-1's with flat pads. The combination is wounderful.

I also need to say how nice it was to deal with Ray Samuels. He let me come to his house for two extended audtions (on very short notice) with a wide variety of music and headphones. He was always very friendly with no pressure.

Jun 28, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 16
Man I can't wait to get it! My Raptor is on the truck ready for delivery today. It should be there when I get home. I can't wait!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 16
Man oh man oh man...I'm getting closer all the time to getting one of these!! I'm going to have to figure something out...especially since I've heard how well it works with the AKG K1000!!

I envy you guys...it's a very special amp, and Ray should be VERY proud of what he has done here.

Jun 29, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 16
I can't figure out whether I prefer my Rega integrated or the Raptor driving the K1000's. It truly is a versatile amp when you consider it can drive anything from Grado to Sennheiser to K1000.

Jun 29, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 16
FedEx just dropped off a package this morning containing my Raptor. It has been quite a while since I listened to any other amp other than the Stax and the Max (with the exception of some that I built) and I am looking forward to some quality time with Ray's creation. Unfortunately, it may not be until the weekend until I can unpack it and get it set in my system.

Jun 29, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #11 of 16
I was really enjoying the Raptor and the Stealth at the NYC meet, does anyone know if Ray had the stock tubes in? I forgot to check...
redface.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
Man oh man oh man...I'm getting closer all the time to getting one of these!! I'm going to have to figure something out...especially since I've heard how well it works with the AKG K1000!!

I envy you guys...it's a very special amp, and Ray should be VERY proud of what he has done here.

For some reason I thought you already had one. You live in Detroit so a quick "trip" to chicago would settle this.

I have been thinking about asking Ray if he could voice the stealth like my Raptor. But that means I would only keep one of them.

Jun 29, 2005 at 12:14 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
I was really enjoying the Raptor and the Stealth at the NYC meet, does anyone know if Ray had the stock tubes in? I forgot to check...
redface.gif

He had a variety of tubes, some being stock.

Jun 29, 2005 at 12:42 PM Post #15 of 16
I have had my Raptor for about a month now and enjoy it more everyday. Coming from a dedicated listening room set up, my expectations for headphone listening were not too high. The Raptor changed all that very quickly. While listening through headphones is necessarily a much different experience than speakers, the Raptor makes listening so enjoyable and does everything right -- soundstage, imaging, detail, musicality, etc. -- that it is easy to forget the headphones and just listen to the music.

I know a component is very good when I am drawn into the music, can listen for hours without any fatigue and, most importantly, when my critical listening sessions quickly turn into enjoyment listening. I have bought more music and listened to more of my old music in the last month than I have in a long time.

The Raptor really is an amazing hi-fi component and a bargain for what it does. At some point I am going to do some tube-rolling, as there are some types of music for which I would prefer a slightly more lush sound, but the stock tubes are well suited to such a wide variety of music that I will leave them in for a while longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back