Another eBay (Horror) Story
May 16, 2007 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

vcoheda

High-End Forum Volunteer
So I purchased a laptop off eBay. I have a decent desktop and just wanted something small and portable. Did not want to spend a lot of money. Looked around for a while at various outlets including refurbished units sold directly from manufacturers. After some time, I decided that the cheapest place to get what I wanted was eBay. I searched every day for two weeks and then found a unit that I liked - a Dell Latitude D410 - with good specs and from a reputable seller. All he does is sell laptops and he has 100 percent feedback. So I felt pretty good about the transaction. The total cost was around $600. The unit has no warranty but is said to be fully tested and in perfect working condition.

The laptop arrives. It is well packaged. No damage to the box. Open it up. Turn it on. Problems. The Wifi doesn't work. Bigger problem though. The keyboard and touch pad do not work right. They both disable - stop working - after you type a few keys. This is not good. Never buy used again, I tell myself. Ever.

Contact the seller. Tell him the problem. Ask to send laptop back to be repaired, or to send me a new one, or a refund. Response is: "sorry. no warranty. no refunds. not my problem." Okay. Pretty angry. File a dispute with paypal. Go to a Best Buy Service Center to have computer looked at and repaired. Wifi should be relatively easy to fix, assuming the software/hardware is okay. No idea why keyboard and touch pad disable. Could be a "serious" problem. Anything else wrong? Don't know, I say. Maybe. Pay $65 for them to perform a full diagnostic. Will know sometime next week what is wrong with it and what the repairs will cost. Could be expensive.

Tell seller about my visit and ask him to pay for repairs. Because of Paypal dispute is now more agreeable. Not sure why though. Does anyone know how a dispute affects a seller's account? He says he will pay for repairs if I dismiss claim. Says please dismiss claim then send me receipt when repairs are finished and I will pay. Sorry not comfortable with that. If I dismiss my claim, I suspect I will never hear from him again. He wants the claim dismissed and says he is willing to pay for repairs. But I don't know what the repairs are. Tell him to refund me $300 (half the purchase price) and then if the repairs are less, I will send him the difference and if more, I will take the loss. Sounds like a good compromise. Says okay. Wait for money. Doesn't show. Get a message. He says can't refund money from that transaction because of the dispute (Is this true? I somehow doubt it). Please dismiss claim and I will refund $300 right away. This again. And I thought he was starting to come around. I Say I won't do it. Tell him to send me $300 payment, instead of issuing a partial refund from that transaction.

Still waiting to hear from him. I hope this story has a happy ending, but I don't know.

EDIT: The seller gave me as requested a partial refund of $300 to cover any repairs. I guess the Paypal dispute must somehow affect his business or his ability to use Paypal for eBay transactions. I'm not sure, but it was not until I filed the dispute that the seller became willing to try to settle the matter. Before that, his tone was "not my problem." So hopefully there is nothing majorly wrong with the laptop and the $300 will be sufficient to get it back to working order.

May 16, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 31
dont dismiss the claim until you have cash for repair work.

you can send me the recepit too if you want
wink.gif
nothing is going to happen though.

if you dismiss the claim before its resolved you will get no money. i would be surprised if anything different happened.

May 16, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 31
x2 - do not dismiss claim. It is your own leverage.

May 16, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 31
Do not dismiss the claim, if you do Paypal will release the hold on his account and he will withdraw the money.

May 16, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #8 of 31
This certainly shows that a seller having 100% feedback isn't always amicable. Though, I somewhat can see what the seller is going through. He could probably think you damaged it yourself thus he doesn't want pay for your own mistake but given the range of problems you have and that he wants you to close the dispute without partially refunding you for the repairs, I doubt it.

As an eBay seller myself, I would've taken back the laptop and see what is wrong with it if it indeed was sold in working condition. One reason is to see if you actually did something stupid to it and two, if I could fix it and send it back to you so I can keep most of the money minus shipping instead of losing all which might happen to your seller. Good luck!

Not to mention that in PayPal disputes, the buyer usually wins so don't close it without getting the cash!

P.S.- I see you're in White Plains and close to NYC. I would have shopped around for the best rates and experience than from retail stores/chains. I once went to J&R and the person there was a hack thinking my laptop had a software problem and wanting to charge $50 when the DVD drive itself was broken. My brother went to a dedicated computer store with knowledgeable employees and got it fixed under warranty as it should've been in the first place.

May 16, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #9 of 31
dont cancell the claim until he refunds some of your money. 300 bucks sounds good to me.

May 16, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #10 of 31
I agree with everything said. Don't close the dispute until I have some money in my account. He keeps on saying he will pay once the dispute is closed, but that seems very backwards to me. As for repair places, I don't know. The Best Buy near me is quite large and they have a separate area set up solely for laptop and computer repair. The technician I spoke to seemed very knowledgeable as well. I'm not sure if their rates are competitive, but I feel like they will do a good job and get it fixed. At least, that is my hope.

What angers me most about this transaction is the seller's claim that all the functions and programs of the laptop were fully tested and it was in perfect working condition. The more I look at these auctions for laptops, the more it seems that they all make this claim to attract business, but now I'm questioning whether any of them really do it. I'm sure some do, but how can you tell who. It seems impossible that this laptop was inspected or tested at all. I mean the keyboard and touch pad did not work. How could any test miss that! And I offered to send it back to him. He said no. He wanted nothing to do with me or the defective product he sold.

Regardless of what happens, the moral of the story is buy new.

May 16, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #12 of 31
You shouldn't have even tried to have it fixed! Just follow through with the Paypal dispute! Tell them you won't accept half of a refund, but a full one only, per their stupid questions.

I had a totally blown out video card (crazy colors and fuzzy crap coming out of its video out) that I bought used from an ebay seller. I easily got all my money back, going through the dispute process. Even if they can't get the ****** to pony up the cash, they'll compensate you out of their own pocket.

They want you to be comfortable buying stuff via Ebay/Paypal.

May 16, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by nogrot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For $600, you could've bought a brand new Dell laptop.

http://www.gotapex.com/

I didn't want to compound his frustrations but yea, a new decent Acer could've been had for this much cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back