Another cMoy Question...
Jul 7, 2010 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

catchedge

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm looking at purchasing a cMoy and I know this is a really vague question but.

It's a version 2.2 bass boost model and I'm looking at IEM's for this amp.

Any suggestions from people?  I'm looking at the Sennheiser IE8's however I know they need more of a treble extension when looking at an amp.  Also considering Shure SE530's.

Thanks!

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 6
So this is an IEM question then....

What do you listen to and what do you want to hear?  This is better asked in the other forum btw.

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #3 of 6
You could try er6i, or any other IEMs that don't have that much bass but good treble.

Whenever I use the er6i and the cmoy, the isolation from the 6iand the sound quality alone with bass boost enabled make me prefer it than my DT770's.

Jul 15, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 6
I find it a bit odd to base the decision on what headphone to buy on an amp. I would buy the headphone that fits my personal taste and needs, and if my source can't drive it properly, look for an amp.

And I believe, most combinations of portable source/IEM do not need amplification.

Jul 15, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #5 of 6
I couldn't agree more. Like other audio reproduction systems, the final transducer dominates the overall sound quality of the system to a significant extent. Second to it is EQ/DSP, and even there the degree of adjustments available is largely limited by the capabilities of the transducer. For example, you are just not going to get good bass out of a 2" driver no matter how much boost you give it. This is sort of an extreme example but I've observed analogous limitations in headphones, especially IEMs. Many IEMs are lean sounding because of the specific design attributes of the driver - if the driver is experiencing limited bass output due to mechanical compression, sending more power does nothing beyond heating up the voice coil and generating distortion.  The best way to approach this is to find a pair of headphones that is as close to your tastes as possible and then use the CMOY to provide the last bit of boost you may want.

Jack

Jul 15, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 6
I have 530s and just picked up a cmoy from bsg while waiting for my arrow to arrive. It was a toss up between the cmoy and cmoyBB.  Jack-Micca is right about choosing hp first then amp.  Can't speak for the cmoyBB, but the cmoy does not change the characteristics of the 530s(a bit rolled off highs and no real bass extension).  But then again, anyone getting the 530s didn't get them for those qualities anyway.  IMO all the cmoy has done is give the 530s better presence and a bit better transient response.  Its better, not great, but still worth the $ for the cmoy.   And no change in the soundstage.  I'm using an ipod 160G classic with the Fiio L6 LOD.  I tried the cmoy using the HPO and its just terrible.  It has to be used with a LOD imo.  If there was no LOD, I wouldn't use the cmoy.   And while waiting for my arrow, I'll be trying the cmoy with my 240G imod with Whiplash imod LOD.  And it will probably be true that the sound will only be as good as the weakest link in the chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back