Another Beats VS X Product
Dec 26, 2012 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

santtosz

New Head-Fier
Hello, i just started in this world of music quality, and now i have a doubt, before buying my headphones i did a research here in head fi and realized that beats just suck, so i bought a Sennheiser MOMENTUM, these are my first "PRO" headphones ever, so i think they sound pretty good, but my father bought a pair of beats studio just because a football player use them (i know i know....) and i put them in and i think they do sound good !

im a noob in this world but my father ask me "Show me why yours are better if my beats got more bass and more comfort etc etc" and they DO have bass and theyre really comfort, can please somebody tell me how to difference sound quality or which aspects are the basics ?

we compared alot of FLAC music from Adele, Oasis, Nirvana to Black Eyed peas, Skrillex, David Guetta etc etc...

i would appreciate if noone laughs at me because im such a noob haha but i really need to know why mine have better sound quality because studios are 299 and momentum 349.

Thanks !

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #2 of 9
Well, I haven't tried the Momentum myself, so I don't know how good/bad they are, but I bet they are not worse sounding than the Beats.

Maybe the excessive bass in the Beats is giving you the sensation that they have a better sound. I remember when I was new to audio, I used to rate headphones based on how loud was the bass. But then I started to learn that there are other things that are more important, like instrument separation and positioning; not quantity, but QUALITY of the bass (that is that it doesn't bleed into other frequencies, that they have good texturing and a proper decay, etc.), soundstage, etc.

Try doing some extensive A-B comparations between the Momentum and your father's Beats, and you'll probably begin to notice how the Senn are technically better in most aspects (probably except bass quantity).

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 9
well i think im like any other newbie, rating the sound in bass quantity hehe i will keep doing tests between songs, maybe my problem is that i cant notice what is a mid, high, low etc but i gues i will with time... :D

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 9
Compare those two with a perfectly amp'd alessandro ms1i with modded pads. Make sure it's already used for at least a year.
At a very affordable price, you'll hear MUSIC.

I am a religious believer of "burn-in". It'll take time before your sennheiser unleashes it's full potential. Have faith.
Plus, the beats studio uses a separate battery for it's so-called "subwoofer" that produces a so-called "better" bass.

If after some reasonable time you still think beats studio sounds better, sell your momentum, buy a beats studio, and be happy with it.
Just remember NOT to post anything like "my beats is so awesome! all head-fiers must have one!" because it will cause real chaos in the community.

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 9
Problem with rating a pair of headphones on purely bass...  Bass accounts for the first 250 Hz of the audio spectrum (maybe being a bit generous too on this...).  The human ear can hear at least 16000 Hz total :p  OK, this isn't a fair representation.  We really can't tell you why they would be better persay, my advice would be to go out and find a place that will let you test a pair of headphones against your Beats.  I'm not talking about a stall at Best Buy either.  Real audio stores will let you addition headphones (Some Apple Stores do too).  

Aug 18, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #7 of 9
I have iSINE 20,HEK,HD800. I purchased Beats X from eBay second hand, less than 2 months old, and less than half price.There is a more prominent bass, but mids and treble are well balanced, to my 77 year old ears. Buy at the right price, and enjoy.I do wonder if some of the people that turn their nose up at these type of earphones, ever even give them a try?.As they as good as my iSINE 20?. Definitely not, but we would not expect them to be would we?.

Aug 18, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #8 of 9
I enjoyed the sound of beat. So many people do its hard to say a product sucks in such a case though quite common for hipsters/fanboys these days over popular products. I understand not everyone will enjoy the sound of brand x but that doesn't mean it sucks. Sound signature preferences vary, no brand satisfies everyone...senn does not have enough bass to me for example and why brands like beats exist.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 9
Problem with rating a pair of headphones on purely bass... Bass accounts for the first 250 Hz of the audio spectrum (maybe being a bit generous too on this...). The human ear can hear at least 16000 Hz total :p OK, this isn't a fair representation. We really can't tell you why they would be better persay, my advice would be to go out and find a place that will let you test a pair of headphones against your Beats. I'm not talking about a stall at Best Buy either. Real audio stores will let you addition headphones (Some Apple Stores do too).
That may be but my ears notice if bass levels are off of my preferences rather quickly

I don't usually have any trouble with mids and I have only had a couple brands with too much or not enough treble more often than not I am fine with them

I consider best buy a real audio store with how many brands they have, though if they don't have a brand you like take it up with manufacture....I would as I prefer stores and there aren't too many audio ones around here anymore most have closed up

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back