anodizing + front panel work question
Jun 30, 2008 at 6:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

el_matt0

1000+ Head-Fier
If I'm planning to create some sort of an inlay / depression in a black anodized front panel (via front panel express), I assume that when I receive it back the "depression" will be silver in color, since only the surface of the black aluminum is anodized? Am i correct in my assumption? Is there any way to work around this, or is the only solution to get it re-anodized after having the milling work done? Is that an acceptable solution, will the anodize finish coat both the un-anodized and the already anodized surfaces evenly, for a smooth finish? Lastly, does anyone know of any places that would offer that service if I were to ship the panel to them - is it expensive?

Jun 30, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #2 of 9
Yes, any machined surface will be "silver" with FPE.
And... I inquired about having FPE anodize a machined panel once and their quote was roughly twice of what a local anodizer wanted for the same thing.
If you choose to go this route order a raw panel from FPE, there is no sense paying a premium for a finish that will ultimately have to be removed.
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 9
thanks for the tip, ill do just that then, and most likely order up a chassis without a front panel at all, and get a raw one like you said from FPE. any recommendations on a place to get it anodized? I'm not sure of what type of shop to look for (I'm in vancouver, bc, canada).

Jun 30, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #4 of 9
Here is a cheap workaround. If you want the engraved parts to be black (on a black panel), just color it with a fine sharpie pen (permanent ink).

Jun 30, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a cheap workaround. If you want the engraved parts to be black (on a black panel), just color it with a fine sharpie pen (permanent ink).

I'd expect that'd be fairly visibly obvious to anyone with a keen or observing eye for aesthetics though??? I mean, what I'm hoping to do it on is going to be roughly a 2cm by 1cm "indentation", so something of an area that large would show up as noticeably different finish from the rest of the front panel, would it not? I assume you are moreso referring to doing this in smaller areas of engraving, where I could see it working. I usually just find when coloring things "black" with sharpie, that sharpies arent truly black, they are somewhat of an off-shade of very dark purple, and its hard to get a consistent opaque finish without having observable "pen-lines".

Jun 30, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by el_matt0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any recommendations on a place to get it anodized?

phonebook.

I find these type of things are best dealt with locally for 2 reasons. turn-around times (no shipping) and if something is not right, it's easier to deal with in person.

Jun 30, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 9
someone kindly actually PM'd me the link to this place.

welcome to Altech Anodizing Ltd.

Looks like they are at least "fairly" local to me, within a drive at least, so at worst I could just courier it to them. Anyhow, if someone with the knowhow doesnt mind taking a quick look at their web-page, what kind of anodizing would i want for just your basic aluminum? Is "standard anodizing" (offered by most chassis companies for example) the sulphuric kind that they offer in various colors? Or....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back