Annoying Mosquito problem. Any natural ways to solve it?
Jul 4, 2009 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

blackbird

100+ Head-Fier
Where I live, I have a very big mosquito problem, (or maybe I'm just exaggerating). But anyway, I'd really like them to be gone. I frequently cannot sleep because I'm afraid I've eaten a mosquito, and then I think that somehow I could get HIV from it, although people have told me both things are pretty much impossible. DO NOT SCARE ME WITH THAT.
ph34r.gif

Anyway, no DEET, not Alcohol, or anything harmful. Just all natural, economical methods to keep mosquitoes at bay. I've been trying basil by hanging that around the apartment, but that tries way too quickly. Any Suggestions?

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 45
Put a whole bunch of spiders all over you, it will help for sure.

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #7 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Put a whole bunch of spiders all over you, it will help for sure.

I would let mosquito suck my blood instead.
ph34r.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would let mosquito suck my blood instead.
ph34r.gif

Yes, I am mortified of spiders.

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #9 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where I live, I have a very big mosquito problem, (or maybe I'm just exaggerating). But anyway, I'd really like them to be gone. I frequently cannot sleep because I'm afraid I've eaten a mosquito, and then I think that somehow I could get HIV from it, although people have told me both things are pretty much impossible. DO NOT SCARE ME WITH THAT.
ph34r.gif

You won't get HIV. You're much more likely to get West Nile Virus.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Deet is far away the most effective repellent. Natural repellents are lemon eucalyptus oil, soybean oil, and citronella oil. Mosquito netting is an excellent suggestion. Here's a link to a Manitoba (Canada) medical association article. Believe me, they have really serious mosquito problems every year.

http://www.wrha.mb.ca/healthinfo/a-z..._Repellent.pdf

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #10 of 45
Put up some bat houses. I don't know if you have bats in the area, but if you do, take steps to attract them. Similarly, if there are native birds that eat mosquitos (e.g. hummingbirds) plant flowers they like and do what you can to make your place hospitable.

Though they won't help with mosquitoes, try to attract and keep an opossum around. Yeah, they're funny looking, but are totally harmless and won't bother cats or dogs. The best thing about opossums is that they'll clean your yard. They eat snails, slugs, trash, just about anything they can find. I've really come to like having them around - I leave extra cat food out to make sure they hang out.

Clear standing water around your area. If there are ponds, etc., think about introducing fish that eat mosquito larvae.

Bug zappers are helpful, too.

Wear long-sleeved clothing when outside.

Jul 4, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightOwl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You won't get HIV. You're much more likely to get West Nile Virus.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Deet is far away the most effective repellent. Natural repellents are lemon eucalyptus oil, soybean oil, and citronella oil. Mosquito netting is an excellent suggestion. Here's a link to a Manitoba (Canada) medical association article. Believe me, they have really serious mosquito problems every year.

http://www.wrha.mb.ca/healthinfo/a-z..._Repellent.pdf

I can vouch for this. You have never seen mosquitoes until you've seen Manitoban mosquitoes. Its our provincial bird after all!

Jul 4, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #12 of 45
Here in South Africa we have a lot of mozzies. Two ways which work well to keep them at bay are:
a) tomatoes. Cut 3-4 very ripe tomatoes in half and place them on a plate somewhere in the room. They naturally release compounds which repel mosquitos.
b) citronella, as mentioned above. Instead of oil, you can get very nicely scented candles; which work wonders to repel them.

Both are less toxic than checmical substances (e.g., DEET)

Jul 4, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #13 of 45
Wait for winter.
wink.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #14 of 45
I was flipping through channels on the TV today and caught a segment on natural ways to repel these.

The show indicated to put basil in a porous bag and hang several of these around the house. For an even great impact, they suggested mixing in some catnip but not if you have cats in the house.

I know it sounds crazy but that is way they suggested.

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #15 of 45
Sleep with clothes on, covering your entire body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back