Announcing the Da Vinci Series IEMs
Oct 4, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #32 of 69
As a owner of a CT-6E vanilla tune how much of a step up are the IX and X to the current CIEM flagship in your line up?

Oct 4, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #34 of 69
:p thats great news to me but horrible news for my wallet!

Oct 7, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #35 of 69
I was lucky enough to listen to the entire CTM lineup at RMAF. I have to say, I was blown away. I used two sources for my testing: a personal HiFiMAN SuperMini and their AK DAP. I listened to a large variety of songs on each IEM, ranging from Alive by Pearl Jam to 1993 by Approaching Nirvana. My notes are as detailed as I could make them given the very noisy environment and the limited amount of time I could spend sitting down at CTM's booth. Someday I hope to write full-length reviews on their entire lineup, given how much character each IEM possessed, but alas, today is not that day.

In this post, I'll be commenting specifically on the DaVinci 9 and 10. Some of my points will be copy and pasted from the IX to the X section since they share a shell design.

DaVinci IX
  • Good bass performance. More prominent mid-bass than sub-bass, though the roll-off didn't get too bad till about 25Hz.
  • Incredible soundstage. Both wide and deep, though more deep than wide. Combined with its airy treble and excellent layering ability, music comes alive.
  • Refined treble that expresses itself without becoming harsh or sibilant. Not too analytical while still remaining a paragon of clarity.
  • Vocals are brought forwards in the midrange via a 2KHz peak.
  • Another peak in the treble near 6KHz.
  • Cymbal and high-hat presentation are on-point, natural attack and decay.
  • Aluminum construction yields a very high-quality fit and finish. The chromed decals on it give it a mirror-like reflectivity that catches the eye as well as the light.
  • Heavier, but the weight doesn't generate discomfort for my average-sized ears. The ear hook is perfectly suited to dispersing the weight of the metal.
  • Tuning filters. I only got to listen to the "neutral" filter that doesn't modify the frequency response at all, but given how much I enjoyed the IX's "flat but fun" sound signature I don't feel the need to actually use a tuning filter at all.
DaVinci X
  • Brighter than the IX
  • Excellent textural articulation due to a more prominent lower-treble
  • Excellent bass articulation, more linear bass response
  • Features an uncolored midrange that doesn't sound particularly recessed
  • Catches a ton of nuance and intricacies of well-mastered songs, particularly Alive by Pearl Jam (the vocals sounded incredibly life-like)
  • Excels at staging live tracks
  • Very cohesive crossover, no obvious disconnects or flaws
  • No audible distortion or disconnects, even when playing back very complex songs
  • Aluminum construction yields a very high-quality fit and finish. The chromed decals on it give it a mirror-like reflectivity that catches the eye as well as the light.
  • Heavier, but the weight doesn't generate discomfort for my average-sized ears. The ear hook is perfectly suited to dispersing the weight of the metal.
  • Tuning filters. Not sure which one I used, but it looked to be darker (possibly black colored) when compared to filter on the IX. I'd be very interested to see how the X changes with its tuning filters.
Pictures
I must say, the DaVinci lineup is incredible. Both IEMs qualify as "TOTL-grade", even when compared against similarly specced and priced IEMs. I listened to a lot of IEMs at RMAF (including the entire lineup of several other brands) but the DaVinci series stood out in my mind. Here are some pictures I snapped of the units that were inside CTM's lit display case. Please note that the units that I took pictures of were very heavily worn and are not representative of the condition in which you would receive a new DaVinci IX or X.

*Apparently I the insert images function doesn't work with my images. Here is a link to the ones I took until I can get them properly embedded in this post: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhIiI64PI-dzg9xYdOh-HMuTOGWVcw *

Attachments

• 20181006111214_IMG_0331.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20181006111159_IMG_0330.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20181006111145_IMG_0329.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #36 of 69
I was lucky enough to listen to the entire CTM lineup at RMAF. I listened to a large variety of songs on each IEM, ranging from Alive by Pearl Jam...

Thanks for these great impressions! These sound like something I potentially would really like (annoyingly, BOTH of them do, haha!).
I like Pearl Jam a lot. Was wondering if you listen to any particular edition of the album? There was an HDTracks 24 bit 'Legacy' edition of their debut album. I have that. It's remastered, but I'm wondering if you've heard it and how you rated it compared with the original? :)

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, you said of the IX: "More prominent mid-bass than sub-bass, though the roll-off didn't get too bad till about 25Hz".
I'd be interested to hear a bit more of your thoughts about this (if you have anything else to add)!

Oct 8, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #37 of 69
@Clear Tune Monitors
Hi and congratulations on the very positive feedback you're getting!
Cinder mentioned in his impressions above that there were tuning filters?

I didn't see this mentioned in the main product description anywhere. Can you confirm whether this will be a permanent feature (including with the models on the review tour)?
And if so, can you describe the effects of each of the filters? This is *very* interesting :)

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #38 of 69
@Clear Tune Monitors
Hi and congratulations on the very positive feedback you're getting!
Cinder mentioned in his impressions above that there were tuning filters?

I didn't see this mentioned in the main product description anywhere. Can you confirm whether this will be a permanent feature (including with the models on the review tour)?
And if so, can you describe the effects of each of the filters? This is *very* interesting :)

Hi @Layman1 . Indeed the filters are a permanent feature, it allows you to further tailor the high end to your personal preferences. Specs have been updated on our website ( https://cleartunemonitors.com/shop.php?tip=16 ), thanks for pointing it out.

Oct 8, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #39 of 69
Thanks for these great impressions! These sound like something I potentially would really like (annoyingly, BOTH of them do, haha!).
I like Pearl Jam a lot. Was wondering if you listen to any particular edition of the album? There was an HDTracks 24 bit 'Legacy' edition of their debut album. I have that. It's remastered, but I'm wondering if you've heard it and how you rated it compared with the original? :)

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, you said of the IX: "More prominent mid-bass than sub-bass, though the roll-off didn't get too bad till about 25Hz".
I'd be interested to hear a bit more of your thoughts about this (if you have anything else to add)!

You are welcome! I feel similarly. Both IEMs were very intriguing to listen to. I wouldn't be able to tell you which one I liked more since they both excelled in so many ways.

I can't recall which edition I was listening to, only that it was in a Hi-Fi format and that the album art was the original album art. Maybe @Clear Tune Monitors can ask the guys that went to RMAF to see if they know? I was using their source for that one. My DAP has the original version in MP3 format a concession to my limited storage capacity.

And regarding my comment about the bass, let me elaborate: The IX's bass is more mid-bass dominant. That is to say, you get more impact that rumble. Given that the IX and X both use exclusively balanced-armature drivers, it is very difficult for them to maintain a strong bass presence deep down into the sub-bass region of their frequency response. They do an admirable job from 30-ish Hz and up though, especially when compared to other IEMs that target a similar sound signature at this price-point. Of course, take this with a grain of salt since I had been listening to a ton of different IEMs with a wide variety of sound signatures that day, and I was also in a loud room. Those factors could have easily thrown off the more subtle parts of the IX's and X's sound signature, especially since I wasn't using foam eartips (and subsequently not benefiting from their excellent isolating abilities).

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #40 of 69
The IX's bass is more mid-bass dominant. That is to say, you get more impact that rumble. Given that the IX and X both use exclusively balanced-armature drivers, it is very difficult for them to maintain a strong bass presence deep down into the sub-bass region of their frequency response. They do an admirable job from 30-ish Hz and up though, especially when compared to other IEMs that target a similar sound signature at this price-point. Of course, take this with a grain of salt since I had been listening to a ton of different IEMs with a wide variety of sound signatures that day, and I was also in a loud room. Those factors could have easily thrown off the more subtle parts of the IX's and X's sound signature, especially since I wasn't using foam eartips (and subsequently not benefiting from their excellent isolating abilities).

Did you ever hear the UM Mason v3? If so, wonder what similarities/differences you can remember between that and these?
I was on their review tour, and I really liked that. There was something about the way the bass was tuned that I thought they did really really well.
I think it may have been more mid-bass centric as well, but I'd have to check back on my notes to see!

Oct 8, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #41 of 69
Hi @Layman1 . Indeed the filters are a permanent feature, it allows you to further tailor the high end to your personal preferences. Specs have been updated on our website ( https://cleartunemonitors.com/shop.php?tip=16 ), thanks for pointing it out.

You're very welcome! I used to run my own proofreading business which may help to explain :)
Do you have any photos of the filters? I'm a bit confused. The website measured them in Ohms, implying an electronic functionality? Is it something built in and activated with a switch?
Because the few filter systems I've come across previously were all screw-in external mesh filters that modified the frequency.

Oct 8, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #42 of 69
Did you ever hear the UM Mason v3? If so, wonder what similarities/differences you can remember between that and these?
I was on their review tour, and I really liked that. There was something about the way the bass was tuned that I thought they did really really well.
I think it may have been more mid-bass centric as well, but I'd have to check back on my notes to see!

Unfortunately, I have not.

Oct 8, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #43 of 69
You're very welcome! I used to run my own proofreading business which may help to explain :)
Do you have any photos of the filters? I'm a bit confused. The website measured them in Ohms, implying an electronic functionality? Is it something built in and activated with a switch?
Because the few filter systems I've come across previously were all screw-in external mesh filters that modified the frequency.
Although confusing or misleading, the Ohm is also the measure for acoustic impedance. Our filters are of the screw-in type, there will be more pictures of the product including all it's accessories soon, for the time being here's this one:

DVgiveaway2.jpg

Oct 8, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #44 of 69
Although confusing or misleading, the Ohm is also the measure for acoustic impedance. Our filters are of the screw-in type, there will be more pictures of the product including all it's accessories soon, for the time being here's this one:

DVgiveaway2.jpg

Wow. That new look is great. Earlier this year. It was a very heavy unibody of metal.

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #45 of 69

DVgiveaway2.jpg

Thanks for the explanation; very clear now!
And that's an impressively comprehensive package you've put together :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back