Announcing the Audeze LCD-GX, the First Audiophile Gaming Headphone
Aug 24, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #211 of 435
I think it’s more like 460g, at least that’s what Audeze support told me a few weeks ago. Hopefully when more people get their hands on these, someone can confirm it.

I think that's with the cable weight included. You don't usually get much of the cable weight unless you're seriously far away from the source. I doubt many of us have the cable suspended in mid air between the source and the headphone. A lot of it will be resting on the ground or on the desk, etc.

For instance, with my setup, most of the cable would rest right where the source is, so I doubt I got more than a few grams added.

I'm picky in terms of headphone comfort, and if I could get the GX with leather-free pads or non-leather, I would definitely be able to wear them all day. That says a lot for me.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #214 of 435
So assuming that I'm making my first foray into the world of "nicer" headphones by picking up a set of these.. I'm definitely going to be hooking this up to a PC for the foreseeable future.

What additional hardware do I need to get at least "very respectable" sound out of these? At the moment, I have a Zorloo ZuperDAC-S ( https://www.zorloo.com/zuperdac-s ) but that's about it as far as my current audio hardware. I saw that I'd need to pick up a 1/4" to 3.5mm short cable adapter (thanks for the review Mad Lust Envy! - edit to add: Just watched an unboxing video, and the retail version comes with the adapters etc), but I'm not sure if I need a full external amp to really get these to sound good. I'm trying not to break the bank too much, at least not all at once.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #215 of 435
PTrqjYs.jpg

I demoed them a few days ago and I loved them. They had more upper range detail than the LCD 2C, but without the harshness in the upper range I get from the LCDX. I prefer them to both, and sounded great even next to a 4z. Maybe a bit less bass than the 2C, but more detail and airy and better imaging. They are easier to drive than most of the audeze line as well. They are also comfortable, with a nice suspension strap and a lighter weight than the entire LCD lineup. Great combination of strengths from their other headphones. Especially considering the price to performance compared to the msrp on the rest of the LCD line, I'd consider these a winner.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #217 of 435
So assuming that I'm making my first foray into the world of "nicer" headphones by picking up a set of these.. I'm definitely going to be hooking this up to a PC for the foreseeable future.

What additional hardware do I need to get at least "very respectable" sound out of these? At the moment, I have a Zorloo ZuperDAC-S ( https://www.zorloo.com/zuperdac-s ) but that's about it as far as my current audio hardware. I saw that I'd need to pick up a 1/4" to 3.5mm short cable adapter (thanks for the review Mad Lust Envy! - edit to add: Just watched an unboxing video, and the retail version comes with the adapters etc), but I'm not sure if I need a full external amp to really get these to sound good. I'm trying not to break the bank too much, at least not all at once.
Grab the mayflower dac/amp. Good starter and good pair for these headphones

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #218 of 435
Grab the mayflower dac/amp. Good starter and good pair for these headphones

Thanks, that was enough info to send me down a new rabbit hole :D I'll either do the mayflower, maybe even a combo dealie of the JDS Labs Atom Amp and.... some other standalone DAC.

I appreciate the help. It made me wonder about the latency introduced by adding multiple additional pieces of hardware, but that's definitely beyond the scope of this thread. (just in a general-curiosity sense, not a "omg 4milliseconds is going to ruin my game!!" kind of sense.)

Aug 30, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #219 of 435
I was hoping for more low bass - some here say these have less there. The LCD-X has always been my favorite sounding, of large classic design Audeze headphones. While brighter than the others it's still not harsh, but detailed enough for studio reference, that's why it's popular with engineers. Their weight is a put off and why I never got a pair even as the creators version (without a case) went down to just a little over $1,000 USD. These are odd. Almost all in their line show flat response or a slight cut below 30 hz but all seem rolled off below 30-40 hz to my ears despite that. The supposed "bass slam" we hear about in the LCD-2 (pre or post Fazor) was never to be found for me. Honestly, the LCD-X still did the best below 30 hz, yet, graphs show it having less low bass than the other popular LCD's (2, 3, etc.); it makes no sense. I meant the open version, the closed LCD-XC are stupid heavy, inconsistent and have issues with resonance. I know we can EQ it in but I like a pair I can plug in anywhere and get the same sound vs. needing to use EQ at every place they are plugged into.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #220 of 435
I was hoping for more low bass, folks here say these have less there.

Thanks for the early impressions.

Guys, these are supposed to be primarily, or at least also, for gaming. I would therefore hope there isn't too much bass boost.

How are the imaging, sound stage?

Aug 30, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #221 of 435

Guys, these are supposed to be primarily, or at least also, for gaming. I would therefore hope there isn't too much bass boost.

To me they sound all around better than the LCDX. The LCDX and GX both have more upper mid and treble fowardness than the LCD2C. However the LCDX a harshness in that range that makes it a bit fatiguing. The GX has a similar fowardness but without the harshness or fatigue, making them the best for gaming of the 3. Soundstage is pretty big on all the audeze and these are no exception. The tuning of the GX lends itself for positioning in games, so the imaging is one of the best of the Audeze. The LCD i3 might have better imaging, but IEMs in general have razor sharp imaging since they are so close.

The GX are warm neutral tuned. Accentuated upper mids and highs, a nice airiness to the sound, and a respectable but not bloomy bass. They aren't bass lite, just tuned a bit more neutral. Definitely not lacking bass though, and a slight EQ bump would probably satisfy those who want more bass.

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #222 of 435

Do note, these at the very base are still part of the LCD line. They still maintain a very similar general base sound to what Audeze has around. It's not made from the base up for pure gaming like the Mobius (which I have next to the GX)

The GX is actually not that bass heavy. Pretty middle ground actually. I used to use Q701 for gaming so the GX is a step up in having some bass at least but its not on the thick side. It's there in proportions.

Imaging and Sound stage are definitely above grade compared to most gaming dedicated headsets on the market but its not an Ananda or HD800. For a while I was using the Hifiman Ananda for gaming. It got fatiguing after a while and some of the sharper tones, assault rifle fire, and grenade blasts got annoying after a while.

The GX isn't really tuned to really make anything completely stand out from what I could find. It's actually done tenderly. Gaming companies typically like to boost certain things which does make elements like footsteps or explosions more GAMMMEEERRYYY but takes away from general performance. Audeze took a middle ground with the GX.

It sounds great with music, and does 'well' with competetive FPS games. It wasn't the sharpest at gunshots or footsteps, it didn't have the most mind shattering bass, and it wasn't the highest in imaging. Rather, it was a nice packaged all in one piece that takes that middle ground approach.

Some headphones accentuate and artifically tune to do some things better but I find those don't have good overal packages. More often than not, they come out like this

the-homer-inline4.jpg

(headsets like that are like....yep the bass is making my ear drums vibrate...and yes those gun shots are very sharp...but wow does it sound like crap)

q1M6zgT.jpg

(Red Devil 5700XT is on order)

Oh, Audeze recommends the EVGA Nu sound card by the way. Mostly for the mic. It has the proper bias voltage and clean line-input for the microphone and I can confirm. It's very clean.

The headphone output on the Nu is just ok. It's a very generalist amp and tries to target too much. For one, its output power is enormously large (10% volume is enough to drive the GX to decently high levels). The GX comes with a splitter so you could plug one end into the Nu's mic input and the other end into your DAC/Amp of choice.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #223 of 435
Has anyone received a shipping notification yet? I was notified that I won the giveaway a week ago, but they haven't responded to my emails and I'm curious if any pre-orders have gone out yet.

Edit: I was told they ran out of cables and it will be a couple weeks until my pair get shipped.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #224 of 435
Has anyone received a shipping notification yet? I was notified that I won the giveaway a week ago, but they haven't responded to my emails and I'm curious if any pre-orders have gone out yet.
I ordered my GX last week and got it quite quickly!

It's leaving me quickly too, not a fan of the mid-centric sound. GX is definitely my least favorite of the LCD line, I've heard them all.

Audeze did do a great job with the weight though, super comfortable compared to the other LCD headphones. If only the sound signature was a bit better...

Sep 3, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #225 of 435
I ordered my GX last week and got it quite quickly!

It's leaving me quickly too, not a fan of the mid-centric sound. GX is definitely my least favorite of the LCD line, I've heard them all.

Audeze did do a great job with the weight though, super comfortable compared to the other LCD headphones. If only the sound signature was a bit better...
It definitely has a slight tuning with the mid for gaming

Users who are viewing this thread

Back