Announcement: The Edition 6 is Dead
Mar 21, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #151 of 314
To side with HiFiMAN here - how long will the SUSVARA have to remain untouched for people to stop pissing and moaning about multiple revisions? Or will people bring it up forever? How did the HE-5LE go over when it came out anyway?

It's a shame that HiFiMAN only recently started the multiple revisions thing... they could have made the HE-400 and HE-6 the best headphones in their respective price classes.

An updated HE-6, HE-400 and the HE-500 would have been smashing. Priced a bit higher at about $1500-2000 for the HE-6 would have been perfect.

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #152 of 314
It seems like this distinct mix of trolling and serious criticism appears in the same flavour for anything they post.

How many folks flabbergasted at the price are into speakers? It's a frustrating trend nonetheless, but if you wanna talk price, look up flagship speakers. Maybe these increasing prices are a sign of headphones becoming "proper" hifi...

I would argue that a person can get into better speakers and a decent amp for that matter for less money nowadays than ever before. For sure. With that being said, the high end is now more than ever becoming about status. flagship martin logans are 80k for a pair, wilson audio.... second mortgage. 

Mar 22, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #154 of 314
This is wonderful- it reminds me of the UK courier "HDNL" who were terrible, constantly lost parcels and took weeks to deliver "next day". They changed their name to "Yodel" to try and shed their bad rep, without changing their business practises.. and you can guess what happened next.

They have repeatedly been voted worst delivery service. My last Massdrop order used them, too. I'm really hoping they're not being used to deliver my Noble-X. Changing the names to protect the guilty isn't a panacea, generally.

Rebranding the hilariously-priced Edition 6 to try and shed its rep is an interesting tactic. A better one would be to improve build quality, pricing, supply chains, customer service and various other things.

Edit:

Oh, and the new name is as awkward as this shady renaming tactic...

Mar 22, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #156 of 314
HE-6, HD800, Stax SR007Mk2 and Elear or one Edition 6?

if its the best there is.sure why not just having one headphone. you only could put one headphone at a time anyway.but then again there's shangrilla. so eventually you'll spend 6k on a headphone + whatever speaker amp you need just to get the second best hifiman could offer.and no one knew when it would become the third best or might even the fourth best....so betting your 6k on a bookie probably better investment 

Mar 22, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #158 of 314
let's say you ended up spending 10k for edition 6 system, you'll still ended up with their second best headphone they currently offer.not sure for how long though. some might argue, yea but some people already have speaker amp.so it's just 6k no big deal. sure. however if people already have a very decent or good speaker amp. why would they want spend 6k on headphone? 

Mar 22, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #162 of 314
I've heard more positive feedback about the Ed6 than the SL so maybe you are getting the best, and for a 5th of the cost of the SL...

never heard both of them. but according to the man himself. shangrilla is the perfect headphone he was looking for...but it was stated as ces 2017, it was long time ago. now he have ed6 so maybe ed6 is the perfect headphone he was looking for. or maybe at this point, he going to update the shangrilla. i dont know

Mar 22, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #163 of 314
Yeah of course Fang is going to say that his most expensive product is the best because he wants someone to cough up $50k for it. Does that mean that everyone will subjectively prefer the sound of the SL over the Ed6 though? No, and it seems like the opposite is true so far from impressions I've seen on here

Mar 22, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #164 of 314
Yeah of course Fang is going to say that his most expensive product is the best because he wants someone to cough up $50k for it. Does that mean that everyone will subjectively prefer the sound of the SL over the Ed6 though? No, and it seems like the opposite is true so far from impressions I've seen on here

when the owner,the designer.the engineer stated like that, shangrilla is his flagship headphone and his perfect headphone he ever made and they could produce the best sound quality. it's very hard to argue which one is their flagship and their best yet. its like if sennheiser stated the orpheus2 is their best headphone system.and some dude saying no i think its hd800s or first orpheus.or stax with their 009 and some argue 007 mk1 or mk2 is their best or might even their first omega. at this point i just took the information their give for the public. i'm not necessarily going to believe in it but it's their claim, their opinion, not mine

again it was long time ago, ces 2017.maybe now he want to update his opinion about his shangrilla

Mar 22, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #165 of 314
Yes SL sounded good...but not $50K good. If Fang thinks that he can ask $2K for his RE2000 because the sound is worth it (yes its good but me think is $1K good :sweat_smile:) then SL should be priced at $10K~$15K because that's how much I would say its worth. Missed out auditioning the ED6 due to a driver being blown but many of the guys I trust agreed that ED6 easily sounds better than SL.

A good problem for Fang? :joy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back