ANNOUNCEMENT: DC Area Head-Fi Meet - March 12, 2017 - Gaithersburg, Maryland
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #18 of 134
I can tell that these are the bass light version vs the pair I heard at the Philly meet, and I think I prefer the bass heavy version.  I'm still surprised by the bass extension and dynamics of the headphone overall, I think its excellent.  Low level detail retrieval is also good, thought certainly not the best of my headphones, I think its still edged out by the HD800 and HE-6 for that.  I definitely hear the subbass roll off a bit, a midbass bump and I am pretty sure there is some kind of bump in the upper mids that makes female vocals and strings more present and snappy.  The imaging and staging is just effortless on this headphone, its immediate, there isn't that same need to sort of process the sound into a stage you can understand, its just there for you to listen to.  It's truly a unique experience that I'm really enjoying.

Feb 15, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #20 of 134
I am in touch with AGPtek and they might be providing a number of their devices for demo. I will bring at least one Shenzhen Benjie BJ-T6 DAP and an xDuoo X2 DAP to compare and contrast with the high end stuff that will be at the meet. Might bring some headphones as well (i.e. Sony MDR-CD1700 with bio-cellulose drivers, Philips Fidelio L2.) 

Feb 15, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #21 of 134
  Definitely coming!

I can bring my Schiit Asgard 2 / Bifrost combo (if I still have them until then), but I have no idea what to use a player / source. Currently use Roon in my house (Sonicorbiter endpoint, NAS for storage, and Tidal Hi-Fi). Thoughts?

Anybody would be interested in hearing TEAC UD-503? I don't see it mentioned much around here, and does not seem to be very popular.

The Teac UD-503 DAC/AMP got pretty good reviews in Japan and elsewhere but was overshadowed by competitors who pushed their DACs harder in the marketplace. I am a big fan of Marantz and Oppo and the Teac beat some of their offerings head to head, so definitely bring it! This Teac has a built-in fully-balanced/parallel-unbalanced headphone amplifier with a dual-monaural structure so if anyone has a headphone than can take advantage of that feature they should bring to try out.

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #22 of 134
  I will be attending with my main system and likely 6 headphones:

Audio-GD NFB-27H
AKG K1000
Audeze LCD-2F
Hifiman HE-6
Sennheiser HD800
Sennheiser HD580
ZMF Eikon

Do you still have the Talos? Maybe not the prototype but another pair laying around.

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #25 of 134
I can't commit to attending but we'll see how things are looking a month from now. We had our second kid 3 weeks ago so things are slightly hectic on the home front. I'd be toting my usual HD650 and Bottlehead Crack pairing, plus maybe my Fostex T50RPs and/or AKG K553s and a couple of sanely priced DAC/amps, stuff y'all have probably seen/heard at previous meets.

@thyname I'd certainly be interested in hearing the UD-503 if I can make the meet. I have a UD-301 and aside from a couple of nits to pick I've been pretty happy with it. Sounds as good or better than some much more expensive DACs I've heard.

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #27 of 134
  I can't commit to attending but we'll see how things are looking a month from now. We had our second kid 3 weeks ago so things are slightly hectic on the home front.

We should set up a cot for you. Forget headphones, when our second (or first for that matter) was two months old, I would've gone anywhere if that meant I could catch some uninterrupted Zzz's....

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #28 of 134

We should set up a cot for you. Forget headphones, when our second (or first for that matter) was two months old, I would've gone anywhere if that meant I could catch some uninterrupted Zzz's....

LOL, I mentioned that AGPtek is going to send some products for attendee evaluation. They asked if we might have an interest in "sleep headphones," and I could not figure out what that might be...

Well, it turns out to be these -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M67USSB

AGPtEK Ultra Soft Comfortable Wired Sleep Headphones Eye Mask with Built-in HD Audio Speaker, Perfect for Insomnia Treatment, Bedtime & Travel & Meditation

Please note that this sleep headphone is being driven by an AGPtek Rocker DAP, not included, but which will also be available to try out at the Meet.

I will consider loading the Rocker with Johannes Brahms' "Wiegenlied: Guten Abend, gute Nacht" ("Good evening, good night"), Op. 49, No. 4, widely known as "Brahms' Lullaby," and a few of Chopin's Nocturnes for everyone's listening, and sleeping pleasure at the meet! 

Now to figure out if we have room for a cot in the room!

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #30 of 134
  ^^^ Do they make a version of those headphones with an integrated microphone & DSP that can actively null out the sound of a crying baby?

Since you are on Kid #2 you probably already know that special sound of joy you get when they start teething! 
beerchug.gif

I am waiting for a final confirm about offering the demo items they are sending to some lucky attendees for individual reviews after the meet.

If I get that OK, I will save the Sleep Headphones for you to bring home and then have a discussion with your wife on who gets to use them!
Will expect the details when you get around to penning a personal review on the Head-Fi Full-Size Heaphone forum! 
popcorn.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back