anime recommendations (^_^)
Oct 31, 2008 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

keanej6

500+ Head-Fier
herro pris!!

from the look of a lot of members' avatars i gather that their must be a lot of anime nuts in this community. i'm looking for a new series in the cyberpunk genre in vain of akira, ghost in the shell, etc. i'm looking for a cool story and pretty animation. it doesn't have to be the aforementioned theme but i enjoy that a lot.

it might also be noteworthy to say that my favorite anime to date is samurai champloo. and yes i've seen bebop.

Oct 31, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 41
Definitely Gurren Lagaan if you haven't seen it already. If you like music, definitely Beck. If you like horror, Higurashi no Naku koro ni. If you want to see an awesome series in general, Haruhi Suzumiya. Cyberpunk... Serial Experiments Lain, Technolyze, or Ergo Proxy.

Oct 31, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #5 of 41
ergo proxy!!!!

Oct 31, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #6 of 41
Personally my anime suggestions to anyone who likes anime are the hellsing OVAs (the manga is better) and avoid the first hellsing anime. It is a vampire series with a lot of religion, nazis, blood, zombies, and sexy girls. Also Full Metal Alchemist is great, not in the omg this is so intensely action packed sense but in a wow.. these are deep characters way (and there is a lot of violence and magic). For a fun quickie FLCL if you haven't seen it, it's only 3 hours long, Same goes for Dokuro Chan.

edit: I always forget this one because it's anime in the sense that it is a japanese cartoon but not a series. If you've never cried watching anime watch grave of the fireflies.

Oct 31, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally my anime suggestions to anyone who likes anime are the hellsing OVAs (the manga is better) and avoid the first hellsing anime.

Aw, I rather liked that first anime series. True the OVA was truer to the Manga, but still...

I'd second the recommendation to Serial Experiments Lain and another couple I'd recommend that aren't cyber-punk but are psychological and pretty cool are Paranoia Agent and Paprika (movie)

Oct 31, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #9 of 41
Japanese cyberpunk is pretty slow and heavy with philosophical musings.

Well, with the exception of SoltyRei, which is simply win. It's essentially a pot full of Blade Runner, Bubblegum Crisis and Neuromancer with a dash of the Matrix added for flavor. One of the only things Gonzo's done right (even though, typically, the ending was still pretty blah).

Oct 31, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #10 of 41
appophylite, it isn't that the first anime isn't good. It just isn't hellsing, it doesn't have that same over the top intense feeling you get from the manga and the OVAs. I don't know if you knew this but the first hellsing anime was written based on the first 4 books. Which is before all of the nazi influence comes into the story and things get crazy. So the writers had to make up their own plot which I personally don't think does true justice to the original author's intended story line for these lovely characters.

I also 3rd the Serial Experiments Lain recommendation and 2nd appophylite's Paranoia Agent rec, both great shows.

Another silly series to check out if you have time and like that sort of thing would be excel saga.

Oct 31, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
appophylite, it isn't that the first anime isn't good. It just isn't hellsing, it doesn't have that same over the top intense feeling you get from the manga and the OVAs. I don't know if you knew this but the first hellsing anime was written based on the first 4 books. Which is before all of the nazi influence comes into the story and things get crazy. So the writers had to make up their own plot which I personally don't think does true justice to the original author's intended story line for these lovely characters.

Ah, I see where you're coming from now. That makes sense and I wholeheartedly agree!

Quote:

I also 3rd the Serial Experiments Lain recommendation and 2nd appophylite's Paranoia Agent rec, both great shows.

Another silly series to check out if you have time and like that sort of thing would be excel saga.

Another entertaining series! Sure as heck isn't cyberpunk but it does leave you either pissed off (like my sister), staring at your monitor going "Wha......", or rolling on the floor laughing (me).

Oct 31, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #12 of 41
haha, most of the series I suggested aren't like cyberpunk. I do think though they are series that almost anyone can enjoy and get into. Personally I like branching out when it comes to anime. Limiting to one type leaves out a lot of good shows. How could excel saga make anyone angry? I thought it was absolutely amazing, as far as the lol factor of the show goes I'd rank it up with dokuro chan

Oct 31, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 41
I'm still trying to figure out what makes my sis angry when it comes to Excel Saga, but I've all but given up. I think the humor just rubbed her the wrong way.

I agree that branching out is essential to finding good anime. I ususally get a lot of confused friends because they look at my collection and see series like Clannad, School Rumble or The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya, which they don't expect to see there, but my argument for that is that just about every sub-genre of anime is bound to have at least 1 series that will entertain you: if it looks remotely entertaining, give it a shot.

To the OP: I just re-read your post and realized that you're not limiting recommendations to just cyber-punk. In that case, a few more recommendations I'd give off the top of my head would be:

The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya
Trigun
Onegai Sensei
Onegai Twins
Death Note
Now And Then, Here and There
Ninja Scroll

And definitely check out the link Zorander posted. The thread has gotten a bit long, but there are a lot of good recommendations for some good anime in it.

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #14 of 41
For the OP~

For cyberpunk:

Casshern - classic cyberpunk. the live-action movie is awesome in the same way The Matrix was awesome, totally over-the-top and ridiculous.
Ergo Proxy - exceptionally well-animated and voice-acted. very dry and slow at times, heavily weighed down by a philosophic plot. very little action.
Appleseed - classic cyberpunk.
Gall Force - slightly closer to space opera, but a classic nonetheless.
The Third: Aoi Shoujo no Hitomi - postmodernist/cyberpunk/postapocalyptic mishmash. one of my favorites.
Bubblegum Crisis - another cyberpunk classic.
Armitage - cyberpunk/android movies.
Texhnolyze - basic action-oriented cyberpunk.
SoltyRei - postcyberpunk melting pot comprising of one part Deus Ex, one part Blade Runner, two parts Bubblegum Crisis and seasoned with The Matrix for extra flavor. my absolute favorite cyberpunk story, period.
Scrapped Princess - it starts out looking like fantasy, but quickly becomes a high-technology authoritarian dystopia. on the fringe of cyberpunk but worth watching. exceptional animation.

For not-cyberpunk:

Gunslinger Girl - while it does have cyborg girls, it doesn't focus on that at all, and is more focused on how the children are affected by being used as government assassins. excellent animation and the most accurate weapon design I've ever seen in an anime. (note DO NOT WATCH THE 2ND SEASON, it sucks.)
Black Lagoon - this is what would happen if Quentin Tarantino produced anime. if you liked Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction (and who didn't?!) you'll love this.
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - probably the most disturbing thing I've ever seen animated. it seriously will mess with your head so hard the first time you watch it.
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha - just watch it, seriously. don't whine about it being a magical-girl series. just watch it. the first time Nanoha incinerates half a city, you'll understand.
Darker Than Black - one of my current favorites, very reminiscent of Cowboy Bebop in the loose-linked plot and standalone chapters. music also done by yoko kanno, so it's got great tunes. absolutely worth watching.
Shion no Ou - even if you don't care for shogi (Japanese chess), the show makes it simple enough, the story is good, the characters are better, though the ending is weak. still worth watching.
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone - the first feature-film remake of Neon Genesis Evangelion, and it pretty much takes everything awesome about NGE, multiplies it by 100, and then uses it to smash everything that sucked about NGE.

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #15 of 41
I kept trying to get into death note but all I saw was random episodes on cartoon network and it just wasn't doing it for me. Is it worth really sitting down and getting into?

I keep thinking of more awesomeness, Ranma 1/2, an amazing anime about nothing. The characters are great, solid, entertaining characters but the show doesn't really go anywhere. They get themselves into silly adventures and more characters come in along the way, I've only had to chance to catch the first 3 seasons. Also, Mai-Hime if you enjoy school girls and super heros, thats about it, its got cute girls and fighting but I loved it (sorry, I'm weird) It also made me cry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back