Headphoneus Supremus
01-small.jpg
02-small.jpg
03-small.jpg
04-small.jpg
07-small.jpg

New Angstrom Stella Headphone Amplifier
February 24, 2017

Angstrom Audio Laboratories is back at it again with a statement level Headphone Amplifier of uncompromising standards. MSRP $13,750.

Power Output 3,5 watt per channel

Dual Mono Power Supply

weight 35 Kg

Full Regulated Power Supply 12 Tubes( 6 x channel)

2 ECC802S input/driver stage per channel

2 6CG7 double triode in triode composite Circlotron operating

Response Frequency 12 hz to 150 Khz

Output is in Current

Output impedance 10 Ohm to 3 Kohm

Distorsion 1% @ 20 Hz to 20 Khz

May 2, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 25
I just put in my order with custom tubes and XLR inputs on the back. I am super excited about this. 20 tubes! Very beautiful amplifier. Will post sound impressions after it is built and I put some hours on it.

May 3, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #4 of 25
Primarily the Hd800S and I am about to rebuy an LCD-4 and would be interested in how they sound as well but I also bought a headtrip which is primarily what I really plan to pair with LCD-4.

Other than 800S, I think all my Grados will sound excellent with the Stella as well as my Sony Z1R.

May 3, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #5 of 25
Yep I thought the Stella was a good match with the HD800S. I wouldn't recommend it, at least with the tubes I heard, for a hard to drive planar as it audibly distorted when driving the HEK v2 to reasonably loud (but not dangerous) levels.

May 3, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #6 of 25
Yep I thought the Stella was a good match with the HD800S. I wouldn't recommend it, at least with the tubes I heard, for a hard to drive planar as it audibly distorted when driving the HEK v2 to reasonably loud (but not dangerous) levels.

I'm actually getting custom tubes to increase the power output and clean up any distortion it may have so that I can cleanly push my hard to drive headphones. My amp will essentially sound much different than what you heard I think. Not to mention they are adding a circuit specifically for balanced xlr input which they haven't done to any of their previous Stellas. All with super high quality parts for the xlr input. I'm super excited!

May 3, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #8 of 25
Haven't been here for a while, but is this the state of high-end audio today?? Nearly $14k for something that isn't even built on proper PCBs?? And plywood side panels to disguise that the enclosure is something you can buy for a DIY-project for around $100 from modushop.biz? Equally amazed and disgusted to be honest...

May 3, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 25
Hey you three! I think I've seen some of you on another forum! Yea I'm not sure, $100 to $14k is a pretty big markup I agree.. I haven't heard it personally myself but the guys including pedalhead at the UK show seemed to like the sound of it with the 800S which is one of my favorites and the exact headphone I picked out for it.. so I'm pretty excited. The headphone market is basically following the two channel speaker route in pricing, but at the very least we are getting a ton of great r&d and some great built and sounding stuff. Won't mention the new Orpheus or hifiman electrostat pricetag haha

It's a curse some of us that want the top of the line products have to pay so dearly for them.. and this isn't even my most expensive hobby! Sheesh!

Thanks for checking out my thread though I definitely hope my version of this amp comes sounding as beautiful as it looks.

May 4, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #12 of 25
I would like to know what impedance that 3.5 watt output power is?

assuming dual triode strapped as single in circlotron mode, at 1% distortion maybe at most 50ma of output current. That would be about .75 watts into 300 ohms, and 80 milliwatts into 32 ohms. swapping out the tubes with other tubes is not going to do much to fix that problem. Definitely going to be poor performance with 50 ohm planars

May 4, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 25
I would like to know what impedance that 3.5 watt output power is?

assuming dual triode strapped as single in circlotron mode, at 1% distortion maybe at most 50ma of output current. That would be about .75 watts into 300 ohms, and 80 milliwatts into 32 ohms. swapping out the tubes with other tubes is not going to do much to fix that problem. Definitely going to be poor performance with 50 ohm planars

I can see it not being able to quite power planars (beside things like lcdx, hex, el8 etc) but I'm actually using this for efficient dynamic drivers. It's been a long time personal preference of mine to stay away from mixing the lushness of tubes with planars.. I just prefer solid state with those.

I was wondering what impedence their rated output was at too. Obviously not 100+ ohms.. I'll ask around and find out. My hope is this serves as my totl end game tube amp for my dynamics from Grado and Sennheiser. If I buy an lcdx (happen to love that headphone too) then I think it may be a good match too and the amp would certainly be able to power it.

May 5, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #14 of 25
Agree with the comment above regarding the build and architecture of this amp. As for the "balanced XLR inputs" I can just imagine what they are using for that... DRV134 or an opamp?

Have to respectfully disagree as I think it is a work of art, both the design and the audio architecture. We can agree to disagree I guess, a lot of guys that tinker around with diy little science fair grade projects seem hilariously critical of well made equipment with sort of an undeserved sense of self satisfaction, fueled by their exaggerated belief of their own ability and knowledge.. all with an arrogant undertone to top it off.

No I don't believe they're using a 5 cent Texas instruments piece of plastic for the xlr on something I'm paying five figures for. They seem to treat their customers better than that and are professional.. again.. not do it yourself garage hero keyboard warriors.

The exact quote I was given was:
"a balanced input with conversion to single ended done by custom made very high quality transformers"

May 5, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #15 of 25
actually the only way that amp can put out that kind of power is for loads >1k ohm. like all otl tube amps its the current that is limited not the voltage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back