Anew U1 Impressions Thread
Sep 12, 2018 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

audio123

Reviewer at audio123
Anew U1

Description

• Anew U1 Adopt single dynamic driver with carbon nanotube diaphragm mounted.
  • High purity single crystal copper silver-plated cable with MMCX connector, 4 shares braided with earhook .
  • Earphone housing is completely in pure white.
Specifications
  • Drive unit :10mm Dynamic driver
  • Sensitivity: 108db
  • Impedance: 32ohm
  • Frequency response: 20-20khz
  • THD :< 0.2%
  • Cable: 1.2m
  • Plug: 3.5mm gold-plated
Head-Fi Reviews
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/anew-u1.23347/

Anewwj box-700x700.jpgAnewwjdb-700x700.jpgA newwjdb-700x700.jpg A new-wj-db-700x700.jpg Anew-wj db-700x700.jpg Anew-wj-db-700x700.jpg

Information and pictures taken from Penon

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 89
Early Impression: The bass is punchy with great impact. Bass decay is quick. The midrange takes on a lively approach. Female vocals are presented with vibrancy. Treble extension is good with an airy feeling. Soundstage has moderate width and depth.

Anew U1 Review

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 89
It's a new company :) But at that range and configuration they entered into tfz territory, it would be interesting to know how they stack.

Sep 14, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 89
This model looks pretty interesting, the use of carbon nano tube driver technology, which I am familiar form the Dunu Falcon C makes me really wonder how it performs at this price category.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 89
I ordered a pair of these earlier today. I was told that they are better than iBasso iT01 ? If they are, the U1’s may have a bright future ?

Sep 28, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #6 of 89
Unboxing and first impressions by @Hawaiibadboy :

If you pause at 55s they even include instructions for burn-in, interesting.

Sep 28, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #7 of 89
I made a post about some impressions on the ANEW U1 at my blog HERE they're mostly sound impressions on a few songs, I'm copying it here.

Welcome the weekend with ANEW U1, the impression (and pun) is right on queue with this white wonder. Considering the market is starting to multiply with the $100-150 USD bracket IEMs there's almost fierce competition for your money's worth in this bracket and manufacturers have to find ways to get your business. ANEW is, well, new to the game with the U1 as their first foray into the audiophile consciousness, all things considered, it'll be the sound capabilities of an audiophile gear that will determine a products success, so here we go with checking the U1 out.

Looks wise the U1 is a bit familiar in shape, something my ears says is a good thing as they're smooth, fit nice and snug. The stock cable, by the looks of things, is a big step up from the typical stock cables, it's soft but not overly flimsy, it's not microphonic, and you can tell the wires are not thin at all but still light and comfy to wear. The stock tips are quite nice and fit well, but as I'm I'm partial to using the Symbio tips for both comfort and familiarity. So firing up the WM1a, I started to listen to the music.

Stone Temple Pilots - Creep: The pressure from the impact of the bass drums is strong enough that it is very much felt but does not distract me from the music, but that, in addition to the rather weighty hit and rumbly sub-bass give a good bass experience that's quite a bit above expectation. The mids are happily free from bass bleed and have ample separation, instruments and male vocals sound moderately forward and quite engaging. The guitars sound crunchy with a nails meet metal strings kind of imagery on the left and crisp picking on the right from another guitar. Treble here has a nice extension and good control as the harmonics and cymbal tapping accentuating the music is crisp and harshness free.

Sara Bareilles - Come Round Soon: The bass here feels punchy and well extended, lending a nicely cadenced beat to the music. The instruments are quite melodious and fun, playing well with the overall music while Sara's vocals are moderately extended and gives it a bit more intimacy and presence to her voice. Treble is airy with the harmonics and some crashes punctuating the song, but quite importantly, for the level of extension given, there is no sibilance to be found.

Metallica - Hit the Lights: The drums sound wonderful here having a full sound and good impact, vocals are never swallowed by the music and various sounds and stay audible and clear. Instruments are nicely detailed and similarly separated. Treble is similarly good with ample separation with all the cymbal taps and crashes with high-hats that are harshness free.

In my early impressions of the ANEW U1 having a nicely engineer sound, I'd have to reinforce that notion as it sounds like it's a great balance of engaging tonality and technical capability. About the only part that might be more noticable above the rest is the gorgeous bass but it's the quality of all the frequencies that gives my face a smile that says, this is something more than ordinary and something I'm more than happy to craft a formal review of. Thanks for reading folks!

Oct 11, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #8 of 89
My pair arrived last week, I bought them from Penon Audio.

From the first couple of minutes that I put these on. I really really liked how they sounded. When using them, at times I got the feeling that I had a pair of open backed headphones on, they have a good spatial effect, in some songs, I could of sworn the singer was behind my left shoulder and moving about behind me, that won me over in minutes. I could also hear more detail in songs. For $129, they are really worth the price. In my opinion, they beat iBasso iT01 easy, and I love my iT01s. I did some A-B with both sets, going from Anew to ibasso, the ibasso seemed more clouded, less clear and less detailed. The Anew U1 dominated the A-B testing.

Edit.

I thought my set were trashed after Chord Hugo turned on at full volume when it should of turned on at red, low volume. When it happened, I thought the iem’s were busted.

This afternoon I gave them another shot and connected them to my Mojo, they sound good again :) still unsure why Hugo turned on at max volume though ?

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 89
How's the build quality on these? Looking for something that performs similar to an IT01 but won't break when I fall asleep and put my head on them.

My daily IEMs are EE Phantom and just use my Shure SE215 to help me fall asleep, but it looks like they are about to crack where the shell is glued together because I always fall asleep on them.

Oct 17, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 89
How's the build quality on these? Looking for something that performs similar to an IT01 but won't break when I fall asleep and put my head on them.

My daily IEMs are EE Phantom and just use my Shure SE215 to help me fall asleep, but it looks like they are about to crack where the shell is glued together because I always fall asleep on them.

The shell of the U1 feels solid, and feels a bit thicker than the IT01. As I compare both, the semi-transparency of the it01 makes me feel it is thinner in shell material than the U1, so though I cannot guarantee it's survivability through sleeping (as I can never sleep with sound around me) I can feel the U1 would be sturdier.

Oct 18, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #11 of 89

They won’t break, the build quality is good. I also use them to nod off to with my Chord Mojo and Poly. They will be ok and won’t break. I don’t actually sleep in mine, I just nod off, waken up 30 minutes after nodding off whilst lying on my back, and then take them out. I could never lie on my side using an iem.

Now onto the main reason that I came back to this thread.

When I purchased the Anew U1’s, a day or so later, I also bought the TFZ King Pro’s. My opinion of the Anew compared to TFZ King Pro is, the Anew U1’s beat the King Pro.

The King Pro is too bright for my liking and ( does not ) lacks bass, ( disclaimer: the missing bass was found when I unplugged the king pro’s from my chord Mojo dac, and plugged them into my iphone, the bass improvement was instant. ) The Anew U1’s, in my opinion beat them.

Seriously, the Anew U1’s really is a gem of an iem, espcially since the market is flooded by many iem’s that are in the same price range or more, and which don’t sound as good as the Anew’s.

Anyone, if you are looking to buy a new set of iem’s, I would advise you to buy the Anew U1’s they really are good. It’s just a pity that they only come in white. But they do look much nicer in real life than a photo on penons website, or a pic on google images.

Regarding the ( disclaimer )

I got the King Pro’s yesterday and used them for a few hours, I found them to be a touch bright snd lscking bass, today I found that the sound had changed slightly, but the still lacked bass. I was using them with my Chord Mojo & Poly setup, once Mojoks battery had ran out I plugged the iem’s into my phone and immediately, the lack of bass was gone. TFZ King Pro has sufficient bass.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #12 of 89
The shell of the U1 feels solid, and feels a bit thicker than the IT01. As I compare both, the semi-transparency of the it01 makes me feel it is thinner in shell material than the U1, so though I cannot guarantee it's survivability through sleeping (as I can never sleep with sound around me) I can feel the U1 would be sturdier.

They won’t break, the build quality is good. I also use them to nod off to with my Chord Mojo and Poly. They will be ok and won’t break. I don’t actually sleep in mine, I just nod off, waken up 30 minutes after nodding off whilst lying on my back, and then take them out. I could never lie on my side using an iem.

Now onto the main reason that I came back to this thread.

When I purchased the Anew U1’s, a day or so later, I also bought the TFZ King Pro’s. My opinion of the Anew compared to TFZ King Pro is, the Anew U1’s beat the King Pro.

The King Pro is too bright for my liking and lacks bass, The Anew U1’s, in my opinion beat them.

Seriously, the Anew U1’s really is a gem of an iem, espcially since the market is flooded by many iem’s that are in the same price range or more, and which don’t sound as good as the Anew’s.

Anyone, if you are looking to buy a new set of iem’s, I would advise you to buy the Anew U1’s they really are good. It’s just a pity that they only come in white. But they do look much nicer in real life than a photo on penons website, or a pic on google images.

Thanks for all your comments. I have been a huge fan of IT01 and hearing that it is better in sound and build quality is something I take seriously.

Penon has a promo right now that they are offering free CS819 with it so it looks like an awesome deal.

Keep us posted with impressions after burn in if there are any changes or improvements.

Oct 18, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #13 of 89
Thanks for all your comments. I have been a huge fan of IT01 and hearing that it is better in sound and build quality is something I take seriously.

Penon has a promo right now that they are offering free CS819 with it so it looks like an awesome deal.

Keep us posted with impressions after burn in if there are any changes or improvements.

Can I ask, where did you see that offer ?

The only cable offer I see is the OS819, not the CS819.

I grabbed that OS819 cable, it’s not really free, as you have to pay $5 shipping, even if it’s included with your other items, but it’s worth it.

The 3.5mm jack alone is worth the 5 bux. It’s only a 4 core cable but it’s better than some stock cables you get with some iem’s.

However, the OS819 cable is nowhere near as good as the proper CS819 cable on the Penon-Official website. it’s seperate from the penon audio website.

The CS819 cable retails for roughly $50. The OS819 is 5 bucks.

Here they both are, both are 819 cables, but the copper/silver version ( bottom photo ) is more expensive and comes in a very nice wooden container, it’s great value for 50 bucks.

If the offer is for one of them when buying ibasso iT01, I would buy the iT01’s again just to get another CS819 cable :)

47B234D7-A745-40B0-892A-A3D02D520E67.png

7FEBF3FB-6BE8-43F5-AA6E-CCF462CE9D12.png

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #14 of 89
Can I ask, where did you see that offer ?

The only cable offer I see is the OS819, not the CS819.

I grabbed that OS819 cable, it’s not really free, as you have to pay $5 shipping, even if it’s included with your other items, but it’s worth it.

The 3.5mm jack alone is worth the 5 bux. It’s only a 4 core cable but it’s better than some stock cables you get with some iem’s.

However, the OS819 cable is nowhere near as good as the proper CS819 cable on the Penon-Official website. it’s seperate from the penon audio website.

The CS819 cable retails for roughly $50. The OS819 is 5 bucks.

Here they both are, both are 819 cables, but the copper/silver version ( bottom photo ) is more expensive and comes in a very nice wooden container, it’s great value for 50 bucks.

If the offer is for one of them when buying ibasso iT01, I would buy the iT01’s again just to get another CS819 cable :)

I am subscribed to their email promotions. They just sent me a "Anew U1 + Free Penon CS819 Promotion" email. A free $50 cable is not bad at all.

Oct 21, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #15 of 89
I am subscribed to their email promotions. They just sent me a "Anew U1 + Free Penon CS819 Promotion" email. A free $50 cable is not bad at all.

Not bad, you will like both the Anew U1’s and the cable. The cable with it’s 8 cores is not bulky like most 8 core cables, and it is very soft, for the price it’s very good, for free it’s excellent.

Enjoy

Can I ask, where exactly did you sign up, as I never got an email and I’m signed up for their newsletter, just curious, as free cs419 cables sound nice :)

Is it just the newsletter signup or is there a specific signup link ?

Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back