android vs. iphone for sound quailty?
Nov 27, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #16 of 135

jasonb

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 14, 2010
Posts
4,538
Likes
1,092
DSP Manager is a software EQ and room effects. the room effects are a more complex crossfeed.
 
Quote:
I don't like the HTC Desire sound too, listenable but not as good as sansa clip. How I wish I dont have to carry a phone and mp3.
@jasonb, what is dsp manager thingy?

 
Nov 28, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #17 of 135

FearoftheNight

New Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 22, 2003
Posts
13
Likes
0
hi i'm new at this...how do i get flac on my iphone?
 
Quote:
I recently found out that flac support has been added to iphone from zodttd and was interested in the iphone for the first time.
 
But because of its high price tag i've also been looking at android phones but can seem to find much on their sound quality (they apparently can play flac now too)
 
 
 
can anyone reccomend an android phone with good sound quality or should i just go for an iphone 3gs?
 
Thanks



 
Feb 4, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #18 of 135

Dobrescu George

Reviewer: AudiophileHeaven
Joined
Jan 30, 2011
Posts
15,237
Likes
8,055
Location
Bucharest, Romania
not any of them will sound as good as dedicated mp3 players, as cowons, or hifiman, dedicated only for music.... the rest of names that are better than android and iphone soun like... zune hd, iriver, some sony players.... i never heard of anything else to sound as good as these.... phones don't really have a strong dac in them, as they are not maked for this.... there are exceptions, but iphone, is more maked for applications and games, for wich i am planning to get one, but for music, is not really the best...
may be better than the most phones, but there are phones that may beat it... depends on exactly what you understand by quality....
 
Feb 4, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #19 of 135

tds101

Formerly known as nywytboy68
Joined
May 5, 2008
Posts
4,629
Likes
106
The iPhone sounds exactly like the iPod touch 4G,...if that's good for you then go for it. All the Android devices I've tried so far (Moto Droid, Droid2, Moto Defy, myTouch 4G) all sound inferior to the iPhone 4G (IMO, YMMV). The low volume on an Android device (Motorola is acceptable, HTC volume is anemic), and the fact Android is not quite ready when it comes to multimedia is what killed it for me.
 
There are apps that help w/audio playback, such as powerAMP & MixZing. Still, IMO, the iPhone still is the better choice - for now. That may all change soon,...I'm still happy w/my choice to get an iPhone 4G.
 
Feb 4, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #20 of 135

jasonb

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 14, 2010
Posts
4,538
Likes
1,092
Quote:
The iPhone sounds exactly like the iPod touch 4G,...if that's good for you then go for it. All the Android devices I've tried so far (Moto Droid, Droid2, Moto Defy, myTouch 4G) all sound inferior to the iPhone 4G (IMO, YMMV). The low volume on an Android device (Motorola is acceptable, HTC volume is anemic), and the fact Android is not quite ready when it comes to multimedia is what killed it for me.
 
There are apps that help w/audio playback, such as powerAMP & MixZing. Still, IMO, the iPhone still is the better choice - for now. That may all change soon,...I'm still happy w/my choice to get an iPhone 4G.


My HTC Incredible is rooted and running a Desire HD/Z ROM and it sounds great with IEM's. The Desire HD & Z have better audio drivers than the stock Incredible, and probably other HTC's as well. The Desire HD/Z rom is also louder out of the headphone jack by a good margin. I actually measured to confirm this, it's no placebo.
 
Also my Incredible when it was stock still had a bit more output than the Motorola Droid it replaced.
 
Feb 4, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #21 of 135

YMark

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 16, 2011
Posts
20
Likes
0
The UI for music on my Samsung Galaxy is poor (IMO), and I've received file corruption errors on 3 different MicroSD cards. This caused a complete reload of everything, another cumbersome task.
 
In addition, you have to carry a charger around with you since any Android device has poor battery performance. Hence, I carry my iPod Touch 4G with me. I'm looking forward to going back to Blackberry.
 
Feb 5, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #22 of 135

Peddler

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 23, 2001
Posts
1,072
Likes
426
Location
Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
I have the Ipod, Ipad, (recently the iphone) and now the Samsung Galaxy S.  Out of the box the Galaxy S sound quality is really nothing to write home about. The biggest problem is the volume being far too low. However, thanks to the efforts of Supercurio on the XDA Developers site http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=806195 the sound quality of the Galaxy S is now superb.
 
I use Audiogalaxy to stream high quality music from my Mac to the phone - it even works over the net when I'm elsewhere and I absolutely love this phone now.  Hope this helps.
 
PS - using Shure 530's, Etymotic ER4P's and the excellent UE Triple Fi - don't need a headphone amp for any of them now.
 
 
Feb 5, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #24 of 135

tds101

Formerly known as nywytboy68
Joined
May 5, 2008
Posts
4,629
Likes
106
I just detest that an Android phone needs to be rooted in order to get good SQ and adequate volume. I'd never have switched to an iPhone then,... 
 
Well, the fact I have a house full of non-techies made me switch as well,...simplicity for everyone in the house was key. 4 iPhone 4's later,...
 
I still say the Motorola Atrix is the damn BESTEST phone coming to market,...and that laptop/dock,... ***DROOL*** 
L3000.gif

 
Feb 5, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #25 of 135

kova4a

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 21, 2010
Posts
4,466
Likes
1,158
Well, I agree with Peddler - my Galaxy S with the supercurio's voodoo sound blows iphone out of the water. Just sounds amazing and way better than most of the mp3 players I've used. It can drive even my im716 which is usually just a pain in the as* to drive without a headphone amp. And I disagree with skerry - the galaxy s has Wolfson inside http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/audio_hubs/WM8994/ and that is better than what most dedicated mp3 players have. So, it's not like I don't know what good quality is - I don't need separate mp3 player anymore - that's how good the Galaxy S is - and, of course, in addition you get a sleek UI and a nice touch screen. And also to nywy68 - the galaxy s doesn't need root to get voodoo sound and even without it or rooting has more than adequate volume unless you're expecting to get headphones with more than 64 ohm and low sensitivity work with it. At the time when I first commented on this thread the galaxy s still had some problems with built-in EQ and stuff but now with the latest android and the  voodoo sound it's definitely way better than the iphone. I agree that most android phones, especially, the HTC ones suck at music playback and struggle to drive even my low-impedance iems but Samsung has done it right with the galaxy S.
 
Feb 5, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #26 of 135

kova4a

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 21, 2010
Posts
4,466
Likes
1,158
Oh, and to YMark - dude, you're probably talking about samsung galaxy i7500 and not about galaxy s, coz galaxy s' UI for music is very sleek and at least as good as the iphone's coverflow. And about battery life - I've been doing some headphone burn-in lately on my galaxy s and after 15 hours of non-stop sound it was still playing and I had like 30% battery life left.
 
Feb 5, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #27 of 135

Ricardo Dawkins

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 7, 2006
Posts
1,061
Likes
11


Quote:
Oh, and to YMark - dude, you're probably talking about samsung galaxy i7500 and not about galaxy s, coz galaxy s' UI for music is very sleek and at least as good as the iphone's coverflow. And about battery life - I've been doing some headphone burn-in lately on my galaxy s and after 15 hours of non-stop sound it was still playing and I had like 30% battery life left.


 
Yeah, the UI of the default music player is fine..but it sucks at managing OTG playlists, there is no gapless playback and doesn't recognize AA embeded inside WMA files. 
 
Feb 6, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #29 of 135

Kubernetes

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 5, 2001
Posts
372
Likes
10
Yeah, the Galaxy S and variants (I have the Vibrant) blow the iPhone out of the water.  It has a Wolfson 8994, which produces the best sound out of any portable i've heard (Cowon players and that Hifiman excepted).  Supercurio's Voodoo app takes it to a new level, enabling 128 bit oversampling, anti-jitter, as well as amazing dsp filters for recording.  I also use an app called Galaxy S Tuner which lets you set hardware EQ.  It sounds damn good, easily as good or better than most sub$200 amps from clean source.  The other great thing is that the Galaxy S has pretty awesome codec support out of the box.  16gb built in and up to 32 gb external micro SD---I've found my portable player for my ESW9s.
 
Feb 7, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #30 of 135

Ricardo Dawkins

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 7, 2006
Posts
1,061
Likes
11


Quote:
Yeah, the Galaxy S and variants (I have the Vibrant) blow the iPhone out of the water.  It has a Wolfson 8994, which produces the best sound out of any portable i've heard (Cowon players and that Hifiman excepted).  Supercurio's Voodoo app takes it to a new level, enabling 128 bit oversampling, anti-jitter, as well as amazing dsp filters for recording.  I also use an app called Galaxy S Tuner which lets you set hardware EQ.  It sounds damn good, easily as good or better than most sub$200 amps from clean source.  The other great thing is that the Galaxy S has pretty awesome codec support out of the box.  16gb built in and up to 32 gb external micro SD---I've found my portable player for my ESW9s.



I agree with all of this but what app are you using for playing back your music?
I ask because the default music player funcionality blows. and what do you use to manage/sync your music to the phone (please, dont say drag and drop - life is too short to bother with drag and drop).
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top