Android TV box as usb digital source

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by ginetto61, Nov 8, 2018.
  1. ginetto61
    Hi ! sorry for the weird question.
    But i see on the market many nice Android TV boxes some of them remotely controllable via app like Cetus Play and similar.
    I wonder if to use one of these boxes (which one ?) as an audio network player is sane.
    Some usb dacs can be used with android i understand.
    I accept also insults if constructive.
    Thanks a lot. gino

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. m-i-c-k-e-y
    Not at all. Been using this setup for 4 years already.

Attach your USB DAC at your Android box and use UAPP, Neutron MP or HibyMusic.

3. ginetto61
    hi thank you for the very kind and helpful reply Let me ask you two other things
    how is the sound quality? can you control the system with a tablet or smartphone to navigate the folders where the files audio are stored ? i find this very convenient thanks again kind regards gino

4. m-i-c-k-e-y
    Placed a powered USB hub on the Android TV box. Connected my USB Hard Drive, Keyboard and mouse. Using keyboard and mouse to navigate.

Can use Bluetooth keyboard and mouse also if your box has Bluetooth.

Sound quality? Better than my PC. If you want to up SQ and PQ a bit, try adding an LPS to your box.

My setup. What's added in the picture is a linear power supply and an internal 8tb hard disk.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  5. ginetto61
    thanks a lot again but let me explain a little better
    i would like to avoid the need of connecting a tv to the android tv box and instead to use a tablet to see and play the audio files from the sofa with the tv switched off
    i am already doing this with Hiby Music and a smsl dp3 network player that unfortunately has no usb output
    but i really would like to try to do the same with a tv box especially now that i understand that the result in terms of sound quality can be really great
    i do not like much solutions like the raspberry pi but i love Android tv boxes
    do you think that hiby music will work just as fine with a tv box as it does with the smsl player ? i see you use the himedia q10? i will look for one then

6. BoogieWoogie
  7. m-i-c-k-e-y
    Sorry could not help you there...

Try using the BubbleUPNP route

8. ginetto61
    thanks a lot anyway you have confirmed what matters most that very good sound is possible i will be experimenting with apps and if i find something worthwhile i will report for sure
    thanks again and kind regards

9. ginetto61
    Hi ! in the end i started from cheap and bought this one
    https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07B9SPJXH/ref=pe_3310731_185740161_TE_item
    it is said to be compatible with app Cetusplay for TV ... i will be experimenting in the weekend. I have already 3 usb dacs to try out ... cambridge dacmagic 100, Smsl Sanskrit and Hegel HD10. Hopefully one will work.
    On principle i like the USB connection for the fact that is asynchronous ... in this way the big part of the work is on the dac. I would prefer a usb data only connection with electrical isolation from source and dac. Thanks a lot for all the very precious advices.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018 at 7:32 AM