Android resampling
Dec 9, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #61 of 124
If there is an audible difference, the problem probably isn’t resampling. It’s probably something more serious.

Thank you for the reply.

You use the words "probably isn't resampling". Does this mean there could be an audible difference caused by resampling? The reason I ask is, I regularly read people extolling the virtues of bit perfect play back. I just wanted to understand if there is any merit in this? Will avoiding Andriod sample rate conversion by using bit perfect playback result in any audible difference?

Dec 9, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #62 of 124
If it is resampling correctly, it won't be audible. I wouldn't worry about it unless you can clearly hear a problem. Bit perfect playback is nice, but digital audio should operate completely transparently. If everything is working properly, it shouldn't matter.

Dec 9, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #63 of 124
Thank you for the reply.

You use the words "probably isn't resampling". Does this mean there could be an audible difference caused by resampling? The reason I ask is, I regularly read people extolling the virtues of bit perfect play back. I just wanted to understand if there is any merit in this? Will avoiding Andriod sample rate conversion by using bit perfect playback result in any audible difference?
Given the great many android devices, the updates, android versions, DACs, audio apps(some with more or less customized audio drivers), it would be suspicious to claim that we always know what will happen in every possible cases. If we rely on testable ideas and demonstrable facts to pretend like we care about the truth, we must give some room to questions that are simply too wide to be tested exhaustively.
Resampling in itself can be very transparent and the great many failed blind tests between CD resolution and hires, clearly show that resampling by itself does not have to make a mess. Can it make a mess on occasion or in conjunction with other stuff? Sure, why not?

You could try to know if your device makes a noticeable difference for your ears when used in different ways. You can probably test that specific situation yourself and get a fairly reliable result depending on how you test it.

Dec 9, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #64 of 124
If you don’t hear a problem, the odds are very good that you don’t have a problem. No reason to worry.

Jun 29, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #67 of 124
First off - this conversation seems to have stopped a while ago but I couldn't find any other thread on the topic and I am sure people are still using mobile phones to store their music library or streaming services.

I recently pulled out an old Astell&Kern AK10 DAC/AMP to test with my android (galaxy s8). when A/B-ing I really couldn't tell any difference when using Spotify downloaded songs at its highest quality setting. On connection a message popped up from UAPP wanting to be the default player but I didn't test this as I didn't have the a music library on the phone. Without UAPP the music was still getting diverted through the USBC output and the controls on the DAC/AMP were working so there was obviously still some communication and data being transferred.

I then plugged the AK10 into my computer, which automatically downloaded a driver, and continued to play the same music from Spotify. It was immediately different! leaps and bounds ahead in resolution and dynamics through listening to on the computer. My ears are far from critical as I could barely tell the difference between FLAC and 320Kbps MP3's, but this difference was night and day. (DAMN IT! now I am not happy using my android as a DAP)

I also remember using a dragonfly DAC and an older android where it only worked through UAPP. It was a while ago but i remember the dragonfly showed the sampling rate through different LED colours on the device. It was a different colour when playing through UAPP compared to natively through android and the sound and amping power was a significant difference. To me, this indicated that a sampling rate issue caused a difference in sound quality.

Alternatively, could an android device send a signal through USB output to a DAC and not engage that external DAC but still uses the amp (double amping)? I am curious and baffled to know what's going on!

I am currently thinking of getting a bluetooth DAC/AMP like the Fiio btr5 to bypass any of these issues and if bluetooth streaming is at 320kbps i would be comfortable knowing that I would not be able to hear any better regardless. I could then compare it using it as a USB DAC and see if there is any sound degradation but I don't have high expectations using the USB output.

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #68 of 124
It sounds like the level is louder on your computer than plugged into your phone.

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #69 of 124
It sounds like the level is louder on your computer than plugged into your phone.

Thanks and sorry for my ignorance but what is the 'level' and can it be adjusted on Android to get the same sound?

My simplistic understanding was the 1s & 0s data is sent to the external dac where all the magic happens and hardware/software matters. (Also fyi the dac I am using is powered if that makes a difference)

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #70 of 124
This isn't really fidelity, it's perceptual error. Human ears tend to hear louder sounds as being more dynamic and higher quality than softer ones. Even a difference of a few dB can make a big difference. In order to compare two sounds, it's important to level match to make sure the volume levels are exactly the same. Then you are comparing apples to apples. People do this with tones... it's easier to hear volume differences with steady tones than music with loud transients and soft between. The best way to compare is to line up the two sources side by side, level matched, with an inexpensive switcher toggling between the two different sources. That way you can line up the sound side by side and get a fair comparison.

My guess is that if you go this extra mile, the difference will disappear, because the truth is that most DACs and amps perform better than human ears can hear. When you compare them with a level matched, direct A/B switched comparison, the differences disappear. The other perceptual error is expectation bias. You expect the better component to sound better, so your mind convinces you it does. You can eliminate that by doing a simple blind test. Have someone else switch between the sources for you.

Very few people go to the effort to do a careful test like this. That is why very few people know the truth. I'd be happy to help you set up a controlled comparison if you are interested. It only involves about $30 of equipment (a switch box with a level adjustment). It will open your mind and allow you to make changes that are real improvements, not just mistakenly perceived ones.

Jun 30, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #71 of 124
Ok I thought that might be what you meant but wasn't sure.

I tried to keep the volume the same but I can't guarantee equality without any equipment. Even at perceived lower volumes the dac connected through the PC was better.

I would be interested to use a better method of A/B-ing, as you say. if you could post a link or quick run down? For $30 it's worth the experiment!

Other members may find it useful.

I don't (and can't) rule out placebo affects and happy to look like a fool! In this case I didn't really have a vested interest for proving external dacs as my preference is to use my android's 3.5mm output and was ready to ditch the ak10 (with its silly proprietary connection).

Jun 30, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #72 of 124
To expand a bit on what bigshot stated:

[1] I then plugged the AK10 into my computer, which automatically downloaded a driver, and continued to play the same music from Spotify. It was immediately different!
[1a] leaps and bounds ahead in resolution and dynamics through listening to on the computer.
[2] My ears are far from critical as I could barely tell the difference between FLAC and 320Kbps MP3's, but this difference was night and day.
[3] It was a different colour when playing through UAPP compared to natively through android and the sound and amping power was a significant difference. To me, this indicated that a sampling rate issue caused a difference in sound quality.

Alternatively, could an android device send a signal through USB output to a DAC and not engage that external DAC but still uses the amp (double amping)? I am curious and baffled to know what's going on!

I am currently thinking of getting a bluetooth DAC/AMP like the Fiio btr5 to bypass any of these issues and if bluetooth streaming is at 320kbps i would be comfortable knowing that I would not be able to hear any better regardless. I could then compare it using it as a USB DAC and see if there is any sound degradation but I don't have high expectations using the USB output.

1. Yes, almost certainly it would be different. Almost certainly the output power of your computer sound card would be different (higher) from the output power of your mobile phone.
1a. As a higher output power would be somewhat louder and as somewhat louder is typically perceived as more "resolution and dynamics", even when the resolution/dynamics are actually less (!), how do you know it was "leaps and bounds ahead in resolution and dynamics" and not just somewhat louder?

2. If your ears were not "far from critical", if instead they were highly critical, then you then you wouldn't be able to tell ANY difference between flac and 320kbps MP3's. But "yes" a relatively small difference in volume (one or a few decibels) can be perceived as a significant difference in sound quality.

3. I don't get your logic. You state the difference was sample rate and amp power, so how does this "indicate that a sampling rate issue caused the difference" UNLESS you've eliminated the amp power? If you haven't eliminated amp power then simple logic dictates that either sample rate and/or amp power must be the cause. However, you also (later) admit the possibility of "placebo effect", which you also haven't ruled out. So according to simple logic; sample rate, amp power or placebo effect are "indicated" as the cause, not ONLY sample rate. And, if we go a bit beyond simple logic and include some additional demonstrated facts, then of those three possibilities the different sample rate being the cause is leaps and bounds less likely than than the other two. Pretty much all recordings have gone through at least two sample rate conversions, probably four or more and not uncommonly, if you add up all the sample rate conversions during the mixing of the instruments/sounds, there will be a dozen or more, ALL of which are inaudible. On the other side of the coin, a small difference in volume is usually perceived as a difference in sound quality and other perception biases (which can lead to placebo effect) occur almost continuously. Music itself, as opposed to sound/noise, is effectively placebo effect! Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but almost all the audiophile myths and marketing are based on this type of "illogic". Very much in your favour though is that you're willing to admit the possibility of placebo and question your assumptions/logic, the vast majority of audiophiles are not!

[1] I tried to keep the volume the same but I can't guarantee equality without any equipment.
[1a] Even at perceived lower volumes the dac connected through the PC was better.
[2] I would be interested to use a better method of A/B-ing, as you say. if you could post a link or quick run down? For $30 it's worth the experiment!
[2a] Other members may find it useful.
[3] I don't (and can't) rule out placebo affects and happy to look like a fool! In this case I didn't really have a vested interest for proving external dacs as my preference is to use my android's 3.5mm output and was ready to ditch the ak10 (with its silly proprietary connection).

1. Science requires volume matching to within 0.1dB, as even just a few tenths of a dB can be enough, under certain conditions, to affect perception but matching to this accuracy can't be done by ear.
1a. That would tend to indicate placebo effect is the more likely cause but to state that placebo IS the cause we would have to rule out everything else. For example, other electrical factors (such as impedance).

2. Of all the methods of direct comparison, "A/B-ing" is the LEAST reliable. Blind testing is better but still not accepted by science, ABX or double blind testing are required for science.
2a. As it turns out, surprising few other members find it useful. The majority of audiophiles are too invested in their marketing driven false logic and simply dismiss anything that contradicts their belief, even the most reliable methods of direct comparison. For a few though, it's extremely useful and after doing quite a number of reliable tests, very enlightening!

3. Careful, that's another common audiophile trap! Expectation biases and the effects they have on our perception are very complex. There's a whole raft of expectation biases, some are conscious, some are sub-conscious and often, these different biases conflict with other biases. Our perception is therefore typically "a judgement call" by our brain quickly balancing out all these biases. Most audiophiles appear to believe there's only one, obvious expectation bias and if that's eliminated there can be no placebo effect. A couple of easy to demonstrate examples:
1. A listener may have no conscious expectation of preferring either "A" or "B" and identifies say "A" as better sound quality than "B".
2. A listener may have a conscious expectation of preferring "A" but actually identifies "B" as having better sound quality.

Most audiophiles would consider that placebo effect cannot be a contributing factor in these two examples, especially the second one. Yet a relatively simple experiment can easily demonstrate that both can be due SOLELY to placebo effect. For example, "A" and "B" are actually the same identical unit, just in a different case, with a different brand name and/or some additional variables (that have no affect on audio output).

G

Jul 1, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #73 of 124
To expand a bit on what bigshot stated:

1. Yes, almost certainly it would be different. Almost certainly the output power of your computer sound card would be different (higher) from the output power of your mobile phone.
1a. As a higher output power would be somewhat louder and as somewhat louder is typically perceived as more "resolution and dynamics", even when the resolution/dynamics are actually less (!), how do you know it was "leaps and bounds ahead in resolution and dynamics" and not just somewhat louder?

2. If your ears were not "far from critical", if instead they were highly critical, then you then you wouldn't be able to tell ANY difference between flac and 320kbps MP3's. But "yes" a relatively small difference in volume (one or a few decibels) can be perceived as a significant difference in sound quality.

3. I don't get your logic. You state the difference was sample rate and amp power, so how does this "indicate that a sampling rate issue caused the difference" UNLESS you've eliminated the amp power? If you haven't eliminated amp power then simple logic dictates that either sample rate and/or amp power must be the cause. However, you also (later) admit the possibility of "placebo effect", which you also haven't ruled out. So according to simple logic; sample rate, amp power or placebo effect are "indicated" as the cause, not ONLY sample rate. And, if we go a bit beyond simple logic and include some additional demonstrated facts, then of those three possibilities the different sample rate being the cause is leaps and bounds less likely than than the other two. Pretty much all recordings have gone through at least two sample rate conversions, probably four or more and not uncommonly, if you add up all the sample rate conversions during the mixing of the instruments/sounds, there will be a dozen or more, ALL of which are inaudible. On the other side of the coin, a small difference in volume is usually perceived as a difference in sound quality and other perception biases (which can lead to placebo effect) occur almost continuously. Music itself, as opposed to sound/noise, is effectively placebo effect! Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but almost all the audiophile myths and marketing are based on this type of "illogic". Very much in your favour though is that you're willing to admit the possibility of placebo and question your assumptions/logic, the vast majority of audiophiles are not!

1. Science requires volume matching to within 0.1dB, as even just a few tenths of a dB can be enough, under certain conditions, to affect perception but matching to this accuracy can't be done by ear.
1a. That would tend to indicate placebo effect is the more likely cause but to state that placebo IS the cause we would have to rule out everything else. For example, other electrical factors (such as impedance).

2. Of all the methods of direct comparison, "A/B-ing" is the LEAST reliable. Blind testing is better but still not accepted by science, ABX or double blind testing are required for science.
2a. As it turns out, surprising few other members find it useful. The majority of audiophiles are too invested in their marketing driven false logic and simply dismiss anything that contradicts their belief, even the most reliable methods of direct comparison. For a few though, it's extremely useful and after doing quite a number of reliable tests, very enlightening!

3. Careful, that's another common audiophile trap! Expectation biases and the effects they have on our perception are very complex. There's a whole raft of expectation biases, some are conscious, some are sub-conscious and often, these different biases conflict with other biases. Our perception is therefore typically "a judgement call" by our brain quickly balancing out all these biases. Most audiophiles appear to believe there's only one, obvious expectation bias and if that's eliminated there can be no placebo effect. A couple of easy to demonstrate examples:
1. A listener may have no conscious expectation of preferring either "A" or "B" and identifies say "A" as better sound quality than "B".
2. A listener may have a conscious expectation of preferring "A" but actually identifies "B" as having better sound quality.

Most audiophiles would consider that placebo effect cannot be a contributing factor in these two examples, especially the second one. Yet a relatively simple experiment can easily demonstrate that both can be due SOLELY to placebo effect. For example, "A" and "B" are actually the same identical unit, just in a different case, with a different brand name and/or some additional variables (that have no affect on audio output).

G

Cheers for the response Greg. You have gone into detail to further elaborate why my perceived experience may not be supported by my caveman methods, which is not without merit, but I am more interested in understanding whether resampling has an impact on perceived audio quality, and whether android devices function correctly with external DACs. Working in the other direction, if these things can be confirmed then it may only leave me with the conclusion that I mistakenly perceived an audio improvement based on volume level or other bias.

In point (3) I did not intend for that to read as my foregone conclusion but should have written that it 'could' show causality (this was lost in translation from my head to the keyboard).

My queries for general discussion are:
1. If a DAC is connected via USB to an android device and is sound is being directed through the USB DAC, can it be concluded that the external device is being implemented correctly and will sound identical to any source (i.e. PC)?
2. Are there any audible differences when using apps like UAPP? (if so, what is the cause of the change?)
3. Does android always re-sample to a standard sample rate and does this create an audible difference?

queries for Greg/Bigshot:
4. Based on your responses it is implied that my perceived audio quality improvements are caused by varying volume levels and in fact the external DAC is producing exact same sound. This could very well be the case as I haven't done the required tests to rule this out. Would you extend this thinking to comparing DAC vs DAC or AMP vs AMP? i.e. are there noticeable improvements in sound reproduction with these varying components?

I'm just trying to find out which hairs are worth splitting 🤷‍♂️

Jul 1, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #74 of 124
First off - this conversation seems to have stopped a while ago but I couldn't find any other thread on the topic and I am sure people are still using mobile phones to store their music library or streaming services.

I recently pulled out an old Astell&Kern AK10 DAC/AMP to test with my android (galaxy s8). when A/B-ing I really couldn't tell any difference when using Spotify downloaded songs at its highest quality setting. On connection a message popped up from UAPP wanting to be the default player but I didn't test this as I didn't have the a music library on the phone. Without UAPP the music was still getting diverted through the USBC output and the controls on the DAC/AMP were working so there was obviously still some communication and data being transferred.

I then plugged the AK10 into my computer, which automatically downloaded a driver, and continued to play the same music from Spotify. It was immediately different! leaps and bounds ahead in resolution and dynamics through listening to on the computer. My ears are far from critical as I could barely tell the difference between FLAC and 320Kbps MP3's, but this difference was night and day. (DAMN IT! now I am not happy using my android as a DAP)

I also remember using a dragonfly DAC and an older android where it only worked through UAPP. It was a while ago but i remember the dragonfly showed the sampling rate through different LED colours on the device. It was a different colour when playing through UAPP compared to natively through android and the sound and amping power was a significant difference. To me, this indicated that a sampling rate issue caused a difference in sound quality.

Even via Android, LDAC will not sound as good as the resampled usb audio via your phone. UAPP with no resampling sounds better than audio running through Android audio stack. That's just unfortunately how Linux/Android operate. Only choices are stream everything through UAPP, get an Android FAP that bypasses Android SRC, or just be OK with the best audio you get out of the DAC/AMP connected to your phone through the Android audio stack. I use BTR5 and ifi XDSD with an Android phone. USB trump's bluetooth on both devices. FYI, bluetooth audio is still sent through Android audio stack. Another reason bluetooth audio also sounds better using UAPP settings for bluetooth audio.

Jul 2, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #75 of 124
I don't (and can't) rule out placebo affects and happy to look like a fool! In this case I didn't really have a vested interest for proving external dacs as my preference is to use my android's 3.5mm output and was ready to ditch the ak10 (with its silly proprietary connection).
It will make you look human rather than a fool. Unfortunately many audiophiles seemingly do not accept that they are human, they are the ones fooling themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back