Android resampling
post-15351841
Post #61 of 66

Isloo

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
If there is an audible difference, the problem probably isn’t resampling. It’s probably something more serious.
Thank you for the reply.

You use the words "probably isn't resampling". Does this mean there could be an audible difference caused by resampling? The reason I ask is, I regularly read people extolling the virtues of bit perfect play back. I just wanted to understand if there is any merit in this? Will avoiding Andriod sample rate conversion by using bit perfect playback result in any audible difference?

post-15352557
Post #62 of 66

bigshot

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
If it is resampling correctly, it won't be audible. I wouldn't worry about it unless you can clearly hear a problem. Bit perfect playback is nice, but digital audio should operate completely transparently. If everything is working properly, it shouldn't matter.

post-15352707
Post #63 of 66

castleofargh

Sound Science Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.

You use the words "probably isn't resampling". Does this mean there could be an audible difference caused by resampling? The reason I ask is, I regularly read people extolling the virtues of bit perfect play back. I just wanted to understand if there is any merit in this? Will avoiding Andriod sample rate conversion by using bit perfect playback result in any audible difference?
Given the great many android devices, the updates, android versions, DACs, audio apps(some with more or less customized audio drivers), it would be suspicious to claim that we always know what will happen in every possible cases. If we rely on testable ideas and demonstrable facts to pretend like we care about the truth, we must give some room to questions that are simply too wide to be tested exhaustively.
Resampling in itself can be very transparent and the great many failed blind tests between CD resolution and hires, clearly show that resampling by itself does not have to make a mess. Can it make a mess on occasion or in conjunction with other stuff? Sure, why not?

You could try to know if your device makes a noticeable difference for your ears when used in different ways. You can probably test that specific situation yourself and get a fairly reliable result depending on how you test it.

post-15352760
Post #64 of 66

bigshot

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
If you don’t hear a problem, the odds are very good that you don’t have a problem. No reason to worry.

post-15353490
Post #65 of 66

Isloo

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Thank you @bigshot and @castleofargh. I haven't been able to detect any difference between Andriod resampling and bit perfect playback. Therefore, in my case, I don't think it is something I need to worry about.

Reactions: old tech

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)