Android phones and USB DACs
May 16, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #2,296 of 9,526
While I appreciate the in-depth reply, I already have a car deck that I like.  Currently I'm using an LOD out of my iphone into the AUX port of the car deck and am now looking to do the same setup with an Android device. 

Everytime I've tried using a car stereo's DAC (which is what I'd have to do if I used a USB stick or connected the device to the car through USB), it was always sub-par.  Maybe the DAC's in a luxury car are actually good but I found my iphone 4s' line-out to be superior to any car deck I've yet compared it to. 

Quote:

I'm not DanBa (obviously) but I'd recommend getting a real car audio receiver. You won't have to pick up the phone to manipulate the player, for one thing, and most receivers nowadays can use phones (iOS or Android) as music storage. Or a USB drive. Plus the signal out of USB-powered DAC, and one that isn't running of a computer sending out 5v, is probably too weak to overcome the noisefloor in some applications.

Better yet, if you're actually serious about serious sound in your car, there are a lot of features on a real car audio receiver, and the serious ones are virtually the equivalent of a home theater receiver's processing power even if you're running stereo. For starters, you can use its active crossover to distribute the signal to each tweeter, midwoofer, and the sub, and thereby allowing you to use its Time Alignment processor to get the sound from each of these arrive at your ears at the same time. You can be sitting off to the left (or right if you're British in any way, including through colonization) but if you get the settings and installation right you can put the main vocals dead center on the dashboard with the other instruments spread out as they would be on a typical Hi-Fi set-up at home.

May 16, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #2,297 of 9,526
May 16, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #2,298 of 9,526
Hi DanBa,

I thought of sending you a PM to ask this but just in case other people might be wondering, I thought I'd post it here

I'm an iphone user contemplating a switch to Android.. probably the S4... I was intrigued by your posts of the HiFimeDIY Sabre for use in my car..

Is that the path you would recommend? an OTG cable + Sabre mini? (I say mini only because the non-mini doesn't seem to work with the 9505 S4)

Don't know if you've already seen this, but a variant of the approach shown here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2033527 would allow you to charge your device while using the USB DAC functionality. I use a similar method for a bedside setup sometimes and it works great!

May 16, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #2,299 of 9,526
Quote:
Hi DanBa,

I thought of sending you a PM to ask this but just in case other people might be wondering, I thought I'd post it here

I'm an iphone user contemplating a switch to Android.. probably the S4... I was intrigued by your posts of the HiFimeDIY Sabre for use in my car..

Is that the path you would recommend? an OTG cable + Sabre mini? (I say mini only because the non-mini doesn't seem to work with the 9505 S4)

As people discussed about the tiny Stoner Acoustics UD100, I just chimed in by reporting the the new HiFimeDIY Sabre Tiny – custom Nexus 7 interworking.
Concerning the sound quality of the Sabre Tiny, its owner says it’s pretty good especially for its price.
http://forum.tellementnomade.com/viewtopic.php?p=141540#p141540

May 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #2,300 of 9,526
Quote:
While I appreciate the in-depth reply, I already have a car deck that I like.  Currently I'm using an LOD out of my iphone into the AUX port of the car deck and am now looking to do the same setup with an Android device. 

Everytime I've tried using a car stereo's DAC (which is what I'd have to do if I used a USB stick or connected the device to the car through USB), it was always sub-par.  Maybe the DAC's in a luxury car are actually good but I found my iphone 4s' line-out to be superior to any car deck I've yet compared it to. 

That's kind of strange; usually the analog output circuit would at least be better. On the other hand, as far as my set-ups go, time alignment worked a whole lot better than a better DAC. I once got to listen to a similar car with a Denon deck, which supposedly has the best stereo circuit (in a copper chassis to boot) but no processor, and no matter how musical it was, my time aligned set-up can go toe-to-toe on staging and imaging (not to mention my receiver was a fraction of the price). I even got to listen to one using only one of those V-Drive (high output) Alpine decks and cheap raw drivers from Taiwan, no amps and sub, and the soundstage was nothing you'd expect from $40 speakers (that's for the whole set), the time alignment and proper installation of the drivers making all the difference.

On the other hand, maybe the differences you noted is because of the choice of DACs. Given cars need several channels of analog output, even (especially?) the audiophile receivers that have pro-audio features (Nakamichi and Denon aren't really into the no processor receivers anymore, or car audio for the most part), they use the same DACs as on video disc players and surround processors, although for some applications the processor matters more for getting around the problems of a car's cabin.

May 16, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #2,301 of 9,526
Thank you both :)

Quote:
Don't know if you've already seen this, but a variant of the approach shown here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2033527 would allow you to charge your device while using the USB DAC functionality. I use a similar method for a bedside setup sometimes and it works great!

Quote:

As people discussed about the tiny Stoner Acoustics UD100, I just chimed in by reporting the the new HiFimeDIY Sabre Tiny – custom Nexus 7 interworking.
Concerning the sound quality of the Sabre Tiny, its owner says it’s pretty good especially for its price.
http://forum.tellementnomade.com/viewtopic.php?p=141540#p141540

May 17, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #2,302 of 9,526
May 19, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #2,303 of 9,526
Great news people. I just stopped at the AT&T store with my Leckerton. I can confirm that the LG Optimus G Pro does support USB audio out. Sound routed to the Leckerton as soon as I connected it. From what I understand, the Snapdragon 600 has this functionality built in, so any phone using it can probably be expected to have USB audio support.

May 19, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #2,305 of 9,526
Quote:
From what I understand, the Snapdragon 600 has this functionality built in, so any phone using it can probably be expected to have USB audio support.

Unfortunately that isn't the case, my Padfone Infinity doesn't do USB audio (or at least not yet, hope dies last though, and I'm hoping for it to be fixed in the 4.2 update) and it is Snapdragon 600 based.

My finger has been hovering over the buy now button quite a few times recently where the G Pro is concerned, you have probably just tipped me over the edge :p

May 20, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #2,306 of 9,526
Guys, I have the leckerton uha-6s mkii. Today is the first time I actually used it as a USB/DAC through my laptop. I hear a huge difference in sound when playing the same song coming from the laptop vs USB-OTG out of my Galaxy S4. I'm using IE80s. The sound from the laptop USB out sounds cleaner, deeper, better separation, etc. Just about every aspects is an upgrade. Anyone knows the potential difference here?

May 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #2,307 of 9,526
A lot of potential variables there, with the software being the most likely. What applications are you using on your laptop and phone?

May 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #2,308 of 9,526
I am wanting to make my own short OTG cable for my Xperia Z + PH1A amp.  Can anybody direct me to where I can buy just the 90 degree bare plugs? Nothing on ebay.

thanks Riq

May 20, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #2,309 of 9,526
I would totally pull the trigger and get a G Pro too, were it not for the locked boot loader.  The thought of being stuck on the stock rom for the duration of the device's life doesn't sit well with me.  Hopefully development will really get cooking on the Korean version, wich isn't locked.  For anyone, like myself, who finds the One & S4 too small, the G Pro is fantastic.  I could read desktop web sites without zooming.  And pixels are as hard to see as they are on the One.  There's that sweet home button too.

May 20, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #2,310 of 9,526
A lot of potential variables there, with the software being the most likely. What applications are you using on your laptop and phone?

ITunes on laptop, and I tried power amp, neutron, and stock music player. They all sound the same with usbotg.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back