Android phones and USB DACs
May 3, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #2,236 of 9,526
Nice!

I am wondering if it is fully compliant to Accessory Charger Adapter (ACA) specified in the Battery Charging 1.2 specification:
http://kinetis.pl/sites/default/files/BC1.2_FINAL.pdf

"Accessory Charger Adapter (ACA)
As Portable Devices (PD) get smaller, it becomes more desirable for the PD to only have one external connector. If the only connector a device has is a USB connector, then a problem arises when the user wants to attach the device to a charger at the same time as it is already attached to something else.

Consider a PD that has a single connector, which can also acts as a handheld PC. When such a device is put into an ACA-Dock, it would act as a host to various USB peripherals, such as a DAC, hub, keyboard, mouse, etc. However, while in the ACA-Dock, the device should also able to charge at the same time.

To inform the PD that it should act as host and draw current, the ACA is required to pull the ID pin to ground through a resistance of RID_A (124k)."

Quote:
It works!!

Received my new soldering station yesterday, and tonight built me a crude but real world usable OTG + charging cable. In addition to the micro usb-b for the S3 and the mini usb-b for a DAC, it has an additional usb-a connector to hook up to an external usb powersource.

This will allow me to play music via external DAC & use satnav while driving my car without draining my phone battery (the music isnt much of a drain, but satnav with the screen at a useful brightness level...)

Once I find some connectors that I like enough I'll make a nicer finished one, or a few, or maybe a few more and sell some...

It should be interesting to test your cable with other Android device than the S3.

Android specifications should formally include ACA, one step further from OTG.
http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20120179843

May 3, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #2,237 of 9,526
Quote:
Nice!

I am wondering if it is fully compliant to Accessory Charger Adapter (ACA) specified in the Battery Charging 1.2 specification:
http://kinetis.pl/sites/default/files/BC1.2_FINAL.pdf

The cable is not ACA compliant. Samsung uses different resistor values (amongst others) than what is specified in the ACA standards.

It should be interesting to test your cable with other Android device than the S3.

I don't think it will work with many other devices. I think the Note 2 will work and maybe a few other Samsung devices, but I don't expect anything else to work.

I'll see if I can find some other devices to test. 

May 3, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #2,238 of 9,526
Quote:

The cable is not ACA compliant. Samsung uses different resistor values (amongst others) than what is specified in the ACA standards.

Thanks !

It confirms the following request to enable standard ACA on Galaxy S3 posted on the Samsung Developers forum:

[size=11.0pt]"[/size]My company is working on building a peripheral device specifically for the Samsung Galaxy SIII which connects over USB OTG making the SIII be the A side (host) and our device the B side (peripheral). This causes the S3 to put out 5V on USB VBUS.

We would like to add the feature to our peripheral that allows the SIII to be charged while communicating with our peripheral when an external power source is connected to our peripheral, meaning we supply VBUS instead of the SIII. This is described in the USB Battery Charging 1.2 specification as a Standard Accessory Charger Adapter or standard ACA. It is section 6 of the xxxdocument. ( http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs )

Looking through the kernel source provided by Samsung for the S3 and at the default kernel configuration provided, we can see that the USB driver that is used has support for standard ACA, however it is not enabled in the default configuration.

This can be enabled via 

"Device Drivers->USB Support->OTG Support for Qualcomm on-chip USB controller->Support for Accessory Charger Adapter (ACA)=y"

and

"Device Drivers->USB Support->OTG Support for Qualcomm on-chip USB controller->Support for Accessory Charger Adapter (ACA)->Support for Standard ACA=y"

in the kernel configuration which sets the following configuration value in the config file:

CONFIG_USB_MSM_ACA=y
CONFIG_USB_MSM_STANDARD_ACA=y

Is there any possibility in having these enabled in the next update(s) of the Samsung Galaxy SIII update images?"
http://developer.samsung.com/forum/thread/galaxy-s-iii-usb-aca/77/174774

After being the 1st Android phone manufacturer to embrace standard USB audio, Samsung should be also the 1st manufacturer to embrace standard ACA.

As it is cool for audiophile geeks, it is cool for the masses, and this for the benefit of Samsung.

May 4, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #2,239 of 9,526
May 4, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #2,240 of 9,526
May 5, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #2,242 of 9,526
Quote:

Do you have time to test your Apex Glacier with your Galaxy S4 using USB Audio Recorder PRO?
Thanks

Guys, do not forget that there are two international versions of the S4, the 3G and the 4G.

And to my understanding, that only the 3G is working with the Glacier! without USB Audio pro.

May 5, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #2,243 of 9,526
Quote:
It's the Qualcomm (although with my other Qualcomm handsets the Apex tended to work and the Pico not, just to confuse things).

I think Nztechfreak’s S4 is the 4G international version, GT-i9505, based on the SoC Snapdragon 600 APQ8064T.

The USB controller is embedded in the Snapdragon 600.

The other flagship smartphones based on Snapdragon are:
. Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-i9505 based on SoC Snapdragon 600 APQ8064T
. HTC One based on SoC Snapdragon 600 APQ8064T
. LG Optimus G Pro based on SoC Snapdragon 600 APQ8064T
. Sony Xperia Z based on SoC Snapdragon S4 Pro APQ8064

"Regarding USB audio and the HTC One, my RSA Intruder, HeadAmp Pico and Apex Glacier all a go-go via USB OTG." [NZtechfreak]
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=40837308&postcount=24

"I tried all my USB DACs last night - RSA Intruder, Apex Glacier, HeadAmp Pico, Leckterton UHA-6S.MKII and all are working with the Xperia Z."  [NZtechfreak]
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2177991

May 5, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #2,244 of 9,526
Quote:
Can someone give me the rundown of how to use USB Audio Recorder Pro? I feel like I must be doing something wrong. I have listed compatible devices, an OTG cable, and get no sound coming from my E17.

I found their instructions to be worthless...this is what I do with my Razor HD to Fiio E07K. I first connect the cables, then I turn on the Fiio, then I turn on the app. Once the app is on I go to the apps 'playlist' option, then hit the small folder icon on the left of the screen and then select a music file I want to hear. Keep in mind the app will not play MP3 files. Once the file is selected, I hit the play button and it plays (with one hiccup...sometimes I have to stop and restart the app if the first try for music produces a badly distorted sound. Once it actually begins to play, it plays fine and sounds much better than the DAC in the phone)

I would pay a premium for an app that was as capable as Neutron with the digital out capability of USB AR pro.

May 5, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #2,245 of 9,526
Quote:
Not sure if this is already confirmed here or not, but USB Audio working with the HTC One. My RSA Intruder, HeadAmp Pico and Apex Glacier all a go-go.

NZtechfreak
The RSA Intruder, HeadAmp Pico, and Apec Glacier are all DAC/Amps I was considering for use with the Galaxy S3.
Can you please advise which, in your opinion, sounds best with the Galaxy S3?
Many thanks
Frank

May 5, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #2,246 of 9,526
Quote:
NZtechfreak
The RSA Intruder, HeadAmp Pico, and Apec Glacier are all DAC/Amps I was considering for use with the Galaxy S3.
Can you please advise which, in your opinion, sounds best with the Galaxy S3?
Many thanks
Frank

Hi Frank,

Honestly they all sound fantastic. If you don't need balanced output then get the Apex or the Pico. I like the sound of the Pico best myself, but there isn't much in it at all. Despite that I tend to recommend the Apex because it has the ability to bypass USB charging, which is a nice bonus for mobile use, and the form factor is a bit more ideal for 'mating' to a phone in a portable rig being slimmer and flatter.

May 7, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #2,248 of 9,526
Unfortunately James, that order of business didn't work either.

DanBa, please remove the Meizu MX + E17 + USB AR Pro from the list of android devices with USB audio. I can confirm that with two different cables (just got the iBasso one today) and USB Audio Recorder Pro, USB audio does not work with the Meizu MX quad core (M032). It may have been tested and worked with the previous version of Flyme, but it does not work with an up-to-date device.

When the E17 is turned on or off and is plugged into my Meizu MX, I get a little pulse behind the power button every 3/4 sec or so. I've only ever seen this pulsing while plugged into my phone; it makes me wonder if the FiiO isn't getting enough power, but it runs on battery so that shouldn't be an issue at all. I can verify that it never "locks" like it does when using USB audio from a PC.

May 7, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #2,249 of 9,526
http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/06/samsung-galaxy-s4-octacore-review/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=41125997&postcount=4

[size=1.17em] HARDWARE DIFFERENCES[/size]

dsc05771.jpg

Unless you pop open the back and look very closely at the intricate antenna setup, you're not going to see any difference between this and the other GS4 variant. Though the boards inside the two models are drastically different, Samsung has been able to maintain the same design in nearly every other respect. The battery covers and chargers are interchangeable, so you don't need to worry about incompatible accessories.

Indeed, the real story lies underneath the hood. The phone can essentially be broken down into four basic models: the GT-I9500, which sports the brand-new Exynos 5 Octa 5410 chipset clocked at 1.6GHz, along with a dual-SIM I9502 for China that offers the same specs; the SHV-E300, a Korea-specific version that uses the same chip clocked at 1.8GHz; and the I9505, which uses Qualcomm'sSnapdragon 600 (APQ8064T) at 1.9GHz. At the time of writing, the latter model is the only option if you purchase the GS4 through a carrier in North America. The Korean flavor has escaped our critical eye, but you'll be able to grab one on any of the three major operators in South Korea. Fortunately, we recently had the opportunity to play with the I9500, a phone that has been largely kept out of the spotlight until now.

If you can't part with LTE, the I9500 isn't going to be of interest.

Before we dive into specifics on the processor and its performance, let's note that your purchase decision may be influenced by your interest in LTE. The I9500 is resigned to using quad-band HSPA+ (850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100) and quad-band GSM / EDGE (850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900), despite the fact that the Exynos 5410 has a radio capable of supporting up to 20 different global LTE frequencies. Only Korea's SHV-E300 actually offers any compatibility with the faster tech -- and it's likely only going to serve you well in Asia. For US users, this means your only LTE option is to choose from the Snapdragon 600-powered devices used on all seven networks that carry the device. That's bad news for many folks who may be hoping to buy an unlocked Exynos model with compatible LTE.

Aside from these technicalities, the rest of the featured components are exactly the same in both models. You'll still have the same 5-inch 1080p Super AMOLED panel, 2,600mAh battery, 2GB of RAM, MHL 2.0, 13MP rear camera and 2MP front-facing cam as before. Our particular unit came with 16GB of internal storage, but just like on the Snapdragon version, it only offered around 9GB of usable space.

May 7, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #2,250 of 9,526
Any mention of the DAC used, or further info on USB audio compatibility? The inability to use the Glacier has me concerned about this one, and interoperability with a USB DAC is an absolute deal-breaker for me. (And I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they don't hose the US again by stick some godawful Yamaha DAC in there instead of the Wolfson...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back