Android phones and USB DACs
Apr 20, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #2,176 of 9,526
Thanks much for the reply.... The patch didn't take....I did some reading and it appears that it did work for Android 4.1 but not 4.2. I attempted to flash the Paranoid rom (looks very good) but for whatever reason I repeatedly got the "Status 7" error, something that I'll have to research. Basically I'd like to be able to stream any audio from my S3 through a decent USB DAC to my Shure e4s'. Gotta be possible? Thanks, again!

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #2,177 of 9,526
Unfortunately, Google still hasn't implemented USB audio in AOSP.  So most ROMs built from source still won't have it either.  But once on a great ROM like Liquid Smooth, it's hard to go back to Touchwiz.  There are two things you can try.  Before doing either, back up your ROM in recovery.  Then try running Jack Norris' USB audio patch.  It seems to work on some ROMs for US S3 variants.  You can find this patch here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2029728

The other thing you can try is to flash the latest version of Paranoid.  USB audio works by default in the build for the i9300 S3.  I don't know that anyone has yet reported the status of the Verizon S3 build.

Thanks much for the reply....and sorry for the double post -- just saw the "quote" function. The patch didn't take....I did some reading and it appears that it did work for Android 4.1 but not 4.2. I attempted to flash the Paranoid rom (looks very good) but for whatever reason I repeatedly got the "Status 7" error, something that I'll have to research. Basically I'd like to be able to stream any audio from my S3 through a decent USB DAC to my Shure e4s'. Gotta be possible? Thanks, again!

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #2,178 of 9,526
Super easy answer here-- use the DNA instead. I also have the DNA and the Xyboard 8.9, and the DNA is VASTLY better for SQ out of the headset jack. Additionally, the DNA supports external USB DACs while the Xyboard doesn't. In fact, you can basically set up a single micro USB connection into your phone that both charges it and outputs digital audio-- check out the (very helpful) description of such a setup here (although he's using an S3). To my knowledge, there isn't anywhere near as much info about which DACs are compatible with the DNA as there are for the S3 (HTC needs to hire DanBa), so you might want to do a bit of digging and check compatibility with whichever device you end up using. 

I believe I tried the USB Audio Recorder Pro app without success on the Xyboard in the past, but I could be mistaken. Anyhow, let us know how you're doing with it, man!!

Thanks for you answer on this man. What a pain in the ass. I figured the xyborad wouldn't work. I'm supposed to get it glassed into my dash. Might have to trade it in for a galaxy 10.1. In the mean time ill have to research compatible DACs for the DNA. I'll post my findings.

The Motorola Xoom using the USB Audio Recorder PRO app can interwork with USB DAC.
As the XYBoard is rather an evolution of the Xoom, it should have the same capability.

I'v heard this works but is not a very practical music player, only allowing 1 song playback at a time, no playlists, ect. Maybe an update for that app will come soon. Looks like i'll be using my DNA for now and possibly switching tablets. Thanks for your reply.

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #2,179 of 9,526
It works!!

Received my new soldering station yesterday, and tonight built me a crude but real world usable OTG + charging cable. In addition to the micro usb-b for the S3 and the mini usb-b for a DAC, it has an additional usb-a connector to hook up to an external usb powersource.

This will allow me to play music via external DAC & use satnav while driving my car without draining my phone battery (the music isnt much of a drain, but satnav with the screen at a useful brightness level...)

Once I find some connectors that I like enough I'll make a nicer finished one, or a few, or maybe a few more and sell some...

Apr 21, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #2,180 of 9,526
Quote:
I'v heard this works but is not a very practical music player, only allowing 1 song playback at a time, no playlists, ect. 

The USB Audio Recorder PRO can play one-after-another music files stored in a folder.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1635#post_9133811

From what I understand, USB Audio Recorder Pro app allows higher quality recordings to be played in their true hi-res quality because it bypasses a 16-bit/48kHz limitation in Android kernel.  (The DX100 also does that with the iBasso software.)  All other apps downsample to 16/48 before passing the signal to the external DAC like the Apex Glacier. 

Besides that, I also find the app to output very natural sound.  So I used the app quite a bit when I am in the mood for the best quality.  But the app does not do gapless and has very limited playback features.  At least it works with the Apex Glacier and you can try the app for free.

+1

As far as I am concerned, the USB Audio Recorder PRO player is perfect if a shuffle play mode is added:
. Actual "one-after-another" play mode: N = N + 1
. Shuffle play mode: N = N + random number
(random positive or negative number)

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #2,181 of 9,526
Quote:

The USB Audio Recorder PRO can play one-after-another music files stored in a folder.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1635#post_9133811

+1

As far as I am concerned, the USB Audio Recorder PRO player is perfect if a shuffle play mode is added:
. Actual "one-after-another" play mode: N = N + 1
. Shuffle play mode: N = N + random number
(random positive or negative number)

+1, shuffle is really should be a priority request, and "USB Audio Recorder PRO" does indeed sound "Pure".

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #2,182 of 9,526
Quote:
Are there any short usb micro b to micro b OTG cables? All I see are micro to mini. I need one to connect the s3 to the uha-6s. 

It works with the cable I have now but it's super long haha

Man, I haven't been able to find a micro-to-mini OTG for my Samsung GS3 to iBasso D4....
Quote:
Frank actually list it in ebay for that cable.Try this link below.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/viewitem?itemId=111036655521

...oh wait, would this work?

...and if it does, the next step would be to find a case that would hold both.  (or silicon band, but that blocks the screen I guess)   /dream
Quote:

While power for the DAC can be supplied from a battery, I personally don't know of many devices other than the Apex Glacier that have such a feature. I guess that's because most USB DACs are designed with laptops etc. in mind and not for phones with relatively small batteries.
But of course it is quite simple to test. Maybe we can gather some data and update the device overview with it? I do have a Fiio E7 I can test too.

I'm only half following this, but the GS3 seems to provide enough power for the iBasso D4 to run without using the 9V battery, at least at low gain.

Apr 22, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #2,183 of 9,526
Got a 64GB Padfone Infinity yesterday.

Sadly USB audio broken, tried multiple DACs and they all sometimes output to the loudspeaker, or cause the phone to lag/freeze/crash/restart.

Does work with USB Audio Recorder Pro however.

Apr 22, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #2,184 of 9,526
Another question - does Audio Recorder Pro overcome the pause thing with OTG, where when you resume you "speed up" the music until it "catches up" with where you would have been if you hadn't paused?  Because that's annoying...

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #2,185 of 9,526
Quote:
Frank actually list it in ebay for that cable.Try this link below.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/viewitem?itemId=111036655521

Quote:
Man, I haven't been able to find a micro-to-mini OTG for my Samsung GS3 to iBasso D4....
...oh wait, would this work?

Yes, I use this cable to connect a Galaxy S3 to an ODAC:

Galaxy S3 =>  USB OTG cable => ODAC
i.e. USB host => USB OTG cable => USB peripheral
i.e. A-device => USB OTG cable => B-device
i.e. Micro-A plugged Galaxy S3 => USB OTG cable => Mini-B plugged ODAC

This cable has a functional Micro-A plug with the physical appearance of a Micro-B plug!
And this Micro USB plug is also labelled B!

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #2,186 of 9,526
Guys,

What is the type of the Micro USB receptacle of your USB DAC-compatible Android device, type Micro-AB or type Micro-B?

Coop's Galaxy S3 and my Galaxy S3 have a Micro-B receptacle:

Coop, thanks!

USB is a master-slave communication bus. 
USB communication can only take place 
between a master device and a slave device, 
i.e. between a USB host and a USB peripheral,
i.e. between a A-device and a B-device.

A non-USB OTG device always acts as an A-device or always acts as a B-device.
An A-device has a USB host controller hardware component. A B-device has a USB peripheral device controller hardware component.

A USB OTG device, like a Galaxy S3, is a dual-role USB device, sometimes an A-device, sometimes a B-device.
A USB OTG device has a USB host controller hardware component, a USB peripheral device controller hardware component, and also USB OTG hardware/software components which measure the (Pin 4) ID resistance and configure the USB OTG device to USB host mode or to USB peripheral mode depending on the value of the ID resistance.

The USB connector mounted on a USB host or on a USB peripheral is called "receptacle", and the USB connector attached to the cable is called "plug".

A non-USB OTG device always acting as a USB host or A-device has an A-receptacle. Only a Type-A plug can be mechanically inserted into a Type-A receptacle.
A non-USB OTG device always acting as a USB peripheral or B-device has a B-receptacle. Only a Micro-B plug can be mechanically inserted into a Micro-B receptacle. 
A USB OTG device, sometimes acting as a USB host or A-device, sometimes acting as a USB peripheral or B-device, has a AB-receptacle. A Micro-A plug or a Micro-B plug can be mechanically inserted into a Micro-AB receptacle. 

"The standard connectors were deliberately intended to enforce the directed topology of a USB network: type A connectors on host devices that supply power and type B connectors on target devices that receive power. This prevents users from accidentally connecting two USB power supplies to each other, which could lead to dangerously high currents, circuit failures, or even fire."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus

A non-USB OTG Android device always acting as a B-device can’t work with a standard USB DAC always acting as a B-device.

A USB OTG Android device, like the Galaxy S3, when acting as a A-device, can work with a standard USB DAC always acting as a B-device.
And a USB OTG Android device, like the Galaxy S3, should have a Micro-AB receptacle, and not a Micro-B receptacle.

In order to allow a Galaxy S3 to work with a USB peripheral, cable manufacturers have to provide cables with a functional Micro-A plug (i.e. pin 4 ID connected to pin 5 GND) having the physical appearance of a Micro-B plug!

It is not a critical issue, because such a plug can be inserted into a USB OTG Android device with a standard Micro-AB receptacle.

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #2,187 of 9,526
Apr 25, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #2,189 of 9,526
Quote:

Coop, thanks!

You're welcome...

It took us a *few* PMs to figure out what the heck we were trying to tell each other, but we got there in the end. 
biggrin.gif

What I'm really curious about though, is WHY so many manufacturers choose not to comply to USB-spec, when all they have to do to be compliant, is use a Micro AB receptacle instead of a Micro B-type. As I said in PM, it could be legislation-related...
But I did check the docs on EU legislation about Micro B as the designated connector for cellphone charging ports, but this (chapter 2 of Annex II: Technical annex to MoU regarding the harmonisation of a 
charging capability for mobile phones ) :

2. DC Plug Connector Specification 
The cable assembly shall terminate in a Micro-B plug. The plug shall meet the USBIF Connector Test Requirements 
(http://www.usb.org/developers/compliance/connectors/), shall be compliant to the 
Micro-USB Cables and Connectors Specification, Rev 1.01 (Micro-USB 1.01), and 
shall be rated to meet all electrical specifications. 
An EPS provided with a detachable cable shall be equipped with a USB Standard-A 
receptacle. Standard detachable cable assembly, supplied for use with the EPS, 
shall have Standard-A and Micro-B plugs and meet the USB-IF Cable Assembly 
Test Requirements for Compliant Usage of Connectors and Cables in Micro-USB 
1.01. (http://www.usb.org/developers/compliance/cable/).”
Above requirement also applies to detachable cables used as adaptor i.e. where the 
Micro-B is replaced by a proprietary plug

Doesn't say anything about the use of Micro B connectors on the device side, only on the charger side. Using a Micro AB receptacle on the device side would result in devices meeting both requirements as set by USB specifications as well as EU legislation...

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #2,190 of 9,526
A bit late to this thread so sorry if it has been answered. Has anyone got the FiiO E10 to work with this Galaxy S3? I have gotten it to work with the USB Audio Recorder PRO app, but that app isn't really a music player. Poweramp and neutron won't play music through the E10 though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back