Android phones and USB DACs
Mar 15, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #1,892 of 9,526
Mar 15, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #1,894 of 9,526
It really is a shame to see HTC get so hammered.  The quality of their LCDs is top tier.  And the industrial design of the One is worth the praise it's getting from reviewers.  It will presumably support USB audio out of the box too, which is fantastic.  It's just too bad there's no removable battery or SD slot.  Those two omissions, particularly the latter, are deal breakers for me.

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #1,895 of 9,526
Quote:
I have just recieved the Meyer Corda Amp/Dac and it works fine with my Samsung galaxy s3 vía OTG.
Regards

I hope thats not all you have to say about it after getting it for 1/2 off and agreeing to discuss it here?

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #1,896 of 9,526
From what I´ve read HTC hasn´t been supporting USB on the go (OTG) mode unfortunately. At least on the previous flagship phones. Hopefully HTC One will support it - I really like the design and would be interested in getting one, but without OTG support it´s simply not an option. Sony´s new Xperia Z on the other hand seems to support OTG I think. 

PS: PCStep should arrive early next week. I´ll be posting more impressions as soon as possible :)
Quote:
It really is a shame to see HTC get so hammered.  The quality of their LCDs is top tier.  And the industrial design of the One is worth the praise it's getting from reviewers.  It will presumably support USB audio out of the box too, which is fantastic.  It's just too bad there's no removable battery or SD slot.  Those two omissions, particularly the latter, are deal breakers for me.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #1,898 of 9,526
Quote:

Agreed. They do so many things right as a company, and I really want to love the Droid DNA-- the audio quality out of the headphone jack is just vastly superior to the S3 (US version, no Wolfson DAC for us 'Mericans 
size]
), the interface is great, the USB DAC funtionality works really well, the screen is great, battery life is impressive, reception is WAY better than my S3 (like WAAAY better), etc etc. But then they don't put a $%^&* memory card slot in it?? How can you miss something that basic??? And they don't even make an attempt to cover for it by offering multiple storage sizes-- which the S3 does, btw. 

Samsung inevitably pisses me off with every device I purchase from them by embodying every possible corporate clusterhump on their firmware updates (proud owner of a 7.7 tablet that has tried-- and failed-- to do the ICS update almost 40 times now, with zero apparent effort at a fix from these clowns). But they have a memory card-- and I don't see how a music-carrying phone owner could possibly do without that. 

HTC: give me a Droid DNA with a smaller screen (4.6-4.8 with a narrow body is about perfect), A MEMORY CARD SLOT accepting 64gb on top of reasonable internal storage (at least 16gb, preferably more), and a screen that is less prone to breaking, and I'm all in. I can even (almost) forgive the built-in battery thing, since the battery life on mine is pretty solid. Just don't sell me a damn car with no friggin' tires on it-- a top-tier smartphone in 2013 without a memory card slot is absolutely idiotic in the extreme (no offense, but I most certainly include Apple in that category). 

IMO, HTC has always had a leg up on Samsung and everybody else in the user interface department-- the first generation Incredible on Verizon was vastly smoother and more polished than anything Motorola or Samsung had at the time, including the Galaxy S. They just can't seem to get everything together in one solid package. Best attempt they've had thus far (IMO, I haven't messed with the One X yet) was the Rezound-- but it didn't have the battery life of the newer devices, and it didn't have the headphone jack the DNA has. 

Come back to us, HTC. I've already marked Motorola off my list for incompetence, and I'd love to be able to buy a device from you without having to apologize for some boneheaded lack of basic common sense. I'll be waiting with open arms, piles of headphones, and a beer full of Fat Tire 1554. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #1,899 of 9,526
Quote:
has anyone use the ibasso d12? i need a dac for my s3 and laptop and im wondering if its anygood, i mainly listen to rock/metal, trance and dubstep, i looking for a neutral, detailed soundsignature.

Haven't heard the D12, but I have a D6 and find the sound to be very engaging, powerful, and pleasant-- and noticeably warm. Mine had a tendency to pick up interference from my phone though, so that's something to watch for. 

Honestly, there seem to be two general camps for metal fans and gear: those who prefer a bit warmer, more forgiving sound to gloss over the atrocious SQ of a lot of the albums out there and make them as listenable as possible (Transylvanian Hunger just doesn't seem like it would respond well to hyperenergetic, tizzy treble), and those who prefer a cleaner, more analytical sound in order to hear as much in the recordings as possible (Devin Townsend's Alien is a great example IMO). I thought I was in the former crowd, but it seems like I'm actually more a fan of the latter signature. I say all that to say that if you're a fan of especially transparent, warts-and-all presentations, you probably won't like the iBassos (based on the D6 and D-Zero I've heard, anyway). 

Don't know if this helps, but hopefully it'll at least give you some idea. Might want to check out the Leckerton UHA.6S Mk.II also (based solely on secondhand info, I haven't heard one yet). 

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #1,900 of 9,526
Quote:
From what I´ve read HTC hasn´t been supporting USB on the go (OTG) mode unfortunately. At least on the previous flagship phones. Hopefully HTC One will support it - I really like the design and would be interested in getting one, but without OTG support it´s simply not an option. Sony´s new Xperia Z on the other hand seems to support OTG I think. 

PS: PCStep should arrive early next week. I´ll be posting more impressions as soon as possible :)

I've learned that it's pretty common for phones listing OTG support to not actually be capable of it. My own phone, for example (Meizu MX) can't power USB devices and thus can't be used as an OTG device...

Oh snap. I was plugging my phone into my OTG micro to USB cable with my USB drive to prove this point, and I suddenly have life. How effin' cool is that. One more cool point for Flyme 2.1.2. Now to see if I can get USB audio...

Mar 16, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #1,901 of 9,526
Quote:

I thought that and those two concerns almost put me off buying the One XL. I'm glad they didn't, as as long as you have enough internal storage to start with (32GB minimum imo) I don't feel there's any need for additional SD card slot. When I had a Desire HD I had a drawer full of spare batteries for it, which I never remembered to bring out with me anyway. Again, as long as the built in battery is acceptable, I don't feel any need for it to be removable.

Quote:

HTC One X/XL supports USB host mode. Mice, keyboards, memory sticks, hubs all work perfectly fine. USB audio is only working via USB Audio Recorder Pro at the moment, but that's kernel dependent; I'm sure full support will come once Cyanogenmod adds USB audio support.

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #1,903 of 9,526
Audinst HUD-mx2 USB DAC/amp & Samsung Galaxy S3 / Note2:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/651660/audinst-hud-mx2-dac-amp
http://audinst.com/en/bbs/board.php?bo_table=HUDmx2&wr_id=5
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audinst-HUD-mx2-Hi-Fi-USB-Audio-DAC-/181089835201?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item2a29cb98c1

Galaxy S3 / Note2 > digital USB audio out >> Audinst HUD-mx2 USB DAC/amp >> headphones

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #1,904 of 9,526
Interesting stuff! I´m glad I found this thread - a week ago I had no idea about USB OTG. It´s odd how few people know about it - personally I think it´s a defining feature for audiophiles. I was planning to go iPhone at some point, but not anymore :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back