Android phones and USB DACs
Mar 7, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #1,832 of 9,526
Hey everyone. I just set up my desktop to share files on the network. I was wondering if there is an app that can access my music from my android tablet and tag browse it. I'm using es file explorer and it works, but it doesn't offer any real functionality. Thanks

How about using UPnP / DLNA?
http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Introduction_To_DS_Concepts#Streaming
[size=9.5pt]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UPnP_AV_media_servers_and_clients[/size]

A UPnP media renderer / player, like the BubbleUPnP app,
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=bubbleupnp
can stream music stored on a UPnP media server running on the remote networked desktop PC to the local storage of the Android device, play content and forward a PCM audio stream to the internal DAC or to an external USB DAC.

Mar 7, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #1,833 of 9,526
+1 for Bubble UPnP, I use it with my Seagate Wireless Plus drive.

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #1,834 of 9,526
HTC One XL (Asian / Australian S4 LTE version) running AOKP (CM10.1 base) Jelly Bean 4.2.2 with 3.0.67 rohan kernel. Working with Logitech G930 gaming headset and USB Audio Recorder Pro. 

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3I1bsNqsLJbR1ExLXloRUdyMXM/edit?pli=1

Sorry for the crappy picture, I had to take it with my Nexus 7 front camera :wink:

Not sure if this headset completely conforms to USB audio device standards. It is working as a standard USB audio device on my AOKP'd Nexus 7 with Trinity kernal (reboot with device attached). I couldn't get it to work on my One XL with regular music player apps though. The headset buttons control the music player and phone volume but it continues to play out of the speaker. I plan to flash a Sense based 4.1.2 ROM (or rooted stock initially) this weekend and test again. If that works I'm happy the hardware support is fully implemented on my phone, full CM10.1-base will support it in future, and I can buy a DAC/Amp :)

I'm debating whether to go for the FiiO E07K, the iBasso D-Zero, or wait for the E18!

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #1,836 of 9,526
Dear headfellows,

this thread became aware to me just a few days ago but I’m impressed. It took me quite a number of hours to just glance it over!

Now,I don’t have a smartphone myself, but as you will understand it would be very nice for me to know whether the CORDA PCSTEP will work with android based systems as well. Therefore I have an offer to the participants of this thread. I’m willing to sell upto 10 pcs of the PCSTEP for half the price. So this amp/DAC would cost you EUR 110,- or USD 140,- only! The condition is, that people will test the amp with their android based system and discuss the results in this thread.

Some basic technical information on the PCSTEP:

- The DAC-section is based on the PCM2702. Maybe not truly high-end but yet you might be surprised on how good it sounds. It is technically much more advanced and much better sounding than the PCM2704..07. It is fully USB 1.0 compliant and accepts sampling rates upto 48 kHz.

- The DAC-section is bus-powered and has a current consumption of less than 40 mA. I consider this low current consumption one of the major advantages of the PCM2702. Any solution with a separate USB-receiver chip and DAC-chip will consume considerably more.

- The amp-section can be bus-powered and has a current consumption of around 25 mA. The total current drawn by the amp/DAC thus will be around 65 mA. If a battery is inserted or an external powersupply is connected to the amp, then the amp-section will draw no current from the UBS-bus and current consumption of the buss will be less than 40 mA.

- The amp has an advanced digital volume control and produces a very clean neutral sound that is highly enjoyable (IMHO).

For this price you won’t find anything better!

My offer is for participants of this thread only and should not be discussed/made public elsewhere. If interested, simply drop me a mail at meier-audio@t-online.de

Cheers

Jan

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #1,844 of 9,526
Spoke w/ Jan via email about the PCSTEP, looking forward to trying it out w/ the S3 and HTC DNA. I will eventually have the Apex Glacier and Leckerton UHA.6S Mk.II in house as well, and hopefully I can post some impressions on the differences between them all. 

Thanks to Meier Audio for the interest in Android compatibility and the opportunity to try it out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back