Android phones and USB DACs
Jan 23, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #1,457 of 9,526
already took the phone apart, I am thinking about just credit card charging a broken screen verizon s3 from ebay and swapping the motherboard. Luckily i do have a recent backup of all my stuff on the sd card. Sucks though. But yeah please make that a warning, I am sure the fast charge killed it. 

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #1,458 of 9,526
Quote:
already took the phone apart, I am thinking about just credit card charging a broken screen verizon s3 from ebay and swapping the motherboard. Luckily i do have a recent backup of all my stuff on the sd card. Sucks though. But yeah please make that a warning, I am sure the fast charge killed it. 

I've hooked a 12v charger up to my HTC and my now ex-GF's Samsung - killed them both.

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #1,459 of 9,526
What was your battery charge like when the problem occured?
If less than 25%, then I'd charge it up overnight.

Otherwise, try removing the battery for ten minutes.
Put it back in.
Then press volume down + power button + home button at the same time.
Keep holding them down until you get some sort of action on the screen.
If nothing at all comes up on the screen, then it's hard bricked. :frowning2:

If you get ANYTHING at all that comes up on the screen, then you might be okay.  Let us know!

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #1,461 of 9,526
Yeah i don t know how it could damage the motherboard, seems like its only software enabled via custom kernal or software. Maybe it shorted out.  No nothing shows up on the screen when I try powering it up, tried the reset button comands (holding up and home while hitting the power button, down and home etc).

At least I think its mainly the fast charge setting that messed it up. I mean i tested it before without fast charge with the new cable and e07k and it worked fine.. 

I did try a voltmeter to the battery and I am getting about 6v, I know the bat is rated at 3.8 2100mah, is that about right?

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #1,462 of 9,526
Quote:

Hahah,  I'm downloading Ubuntu right now to try and learn how to kernel hack so I can add USB drivers!

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/index.php?title=Build_for_d2att#Download_the_source_code

I'm pretty sure it's not just as easy as that.  But it can't hurt to learn a bit about the process.
Ktoonsez on XDA still says he's going to try and look into it soon.  He's a kernel dev.  

Great call! I've been wanting to sit down and actually learn a thing or two about this for a while. I don't doubt that the vast majority of it would be above my abilities, but I think I'd at least gain a greater appreciation of how these amazing little devices actually work if I could monkey around with their guts a bit :wink:

Quote:
WiR3D /img/forum/go_quote.gif

all I'm saying is NANDROID backup!

Ha! Roger that :wink:

EDIT: Apologies for the hackjob on the multiple quotes here. Doesn't exactly bode well for somebody wanting to learn to code, eh? :p

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #1,463 of 9,526
Yeah i don t know how it could damage the motherboard, seems like its only software enabled via custom kernal or software. Maybe it shorted out.  No nothing shows up on the screen when I try powering it up, tried the reset button comands (holding up and home while hitting the power button, down and home etc).

At least I think its mainly the fast charge setting that messed it up. I mean i tested it before without fast charge with the new cable and e07k and it worked fine.. 

I did try a voltmeter to the battery and I am getting about 6v, I know the bat is rated at 3.8 2100mah, is that about right?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I don't know how the voltage could be that high on a battery because the cell chemistry shouldn't allow for that. I suggest trying another battery. I suggest measuring the voltage on another battery also to verify your meter. A fully charged lithium chemistry battery is around 4.2V.

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #1,464 of 9,526

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I don't know how the voltage could be that high on a battery because the cell chemistry shouldn't allow for that. I suggest trying another battery. I suggest measuring the voltage on another battery also to verify your meter. A fully charged lithium chemistry battery is around 4.2V.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #1,465 of 9,526
Hey I scored this mainboard on ebay, now the guy says the esn was reported stolen, can I still work with it? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-galaxy-s3-main-board-16GB-Verizon-/271143181533?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&autorefresh=true&nma=true&si=QMARoNuwEszITHEa3AEguKFUvhw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #1,467 of 9,526
Jan 23, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #1,468 of 9,526
Quote:
Hey I scored this mainboard on ebay, now the guy says the esn was reported stolen, can I still work with it? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-galaxy-s3-main-board-16GB-Verizon-/271143181533?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&autorefresh=true&nma=true&si=QMARoNuwEszITHEa3AEguKFUvhw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Nope.

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #1,469 of 9,526
Yes, but this time it doesn't come from reverse engineering. The new firmware is done by Samsung's own engineers. Therefore, I'll keep my hope until we get hard fact that it doesn't work. Wishfull thinking I guess.

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #1,470 of 9,526
Quote:

I would not pay for that mobo if the ESN was reported stolen.
Or I would file a paypal claim if you already paid.
That seller should be banned for not letting you know this up front.  Freakin thief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back