Android phones and USB DACs
Nov 15, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #841 of 9,526
Quote:
I have a galaxy note 2. I wonder how can I use the line out. Do I need any extra apps? My note2 is root already.

There is an article somewhere on XDA in the S3 forum that explains how you can do all sorts of things via the USB port by controlling the resistance across certain ports. 

And one example is how to get LINE OUT via usb. have fun digging. Your going to have to custom make it.

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #842 of 9,526
okay I got this one, will let you guys know if this works as a one cable solution, I think it will. Good price if it works.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Micro-b-male-to-Mini-b-male-data-cable-lead-adaptor-/261124391843?

I just got this cable in the other day. It's a little stiff, but I can confirm that it works.

A low profile one with right-angled plugs is .... probably not existant :)

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #844 of 9,526
That cable works between a phone and a DAC?
No dice on the Galaxy S3 by the way. It also has a micro b port. Lindy cable is thus a no go.

Yes. I'm using it between my S3 and Intruder.

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #845 of 9,526
Quote:
Yes. I'm using it between my S3 and Intruder.

Fantastic! Just purchased one. Shame they don't identify it as a USB OTG/host cable in the listing title. Now have a one-cable solution for all DACs.

Incidentally, they are the folks that I got my first USB OTG cable from so I have dealt with them before (noteworthy since that is the most famous USB OTG in the world).

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #847 of 9,526
Quote:
okay I got this one, will let you guys know if this works as a one cable solution, I think it will. Good price if it works.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Micro-b-male-to-Mini-b-male-data-cable-lead-adaptor-/261124391843?

Quote:
I just got this cable in the other day. It's a little stiff, but I can confirm that it works.

The seller has to modify the description of his cable.
It is a USB Micro-A male to Mini-B male data cable, and not a USB Micro-B male to Mini-B male data cable, because it works.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/585#post_8799553

Nov 16, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #848 of 9,526
Quote:

Awesome, buying a pair now.

The Lindy rep says they're working on developing a Mini B to Micro B OTG solution but it hasn't happened yet and no ETA was given. Shame, they're nice and knowledgeable folks for sure.

I thought you need Micro A to mini B otg for most phones and dacs?

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #849 of 9,526
Negative, most phones take micro b plug.

DanBa, the pictures show a micro b plug, which is the only kind compatible with the S3, MX, and I think most other phones. Since thread is using it with his S3, the pictures must be correct and it is a micro b.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #850 of 9,526
Yes, most phones are provided with a Micro-B regular cable, because most phones have to act as USB peripheral in order to interwork with PC or Mac acting as USB host.

But, if a phone would like to interwork with a standard USB DAC always acting as USB peripheral, that phone has to act as USB host, because the USB protocol is asymmetric.

The Galaxy S3 / Galaxy Note 2 is a USB On-The-Go device.
A USB OTG device can act as a USB host or as a USB peripheral.

Simply put, a USB OTG device like a Galaxy S3 / Galaxy Note 2 can act acts as
. a USB peripheral when a Micro-B plug is inserted [regular cable]
. a USB host when a Micro-A plug is inserted [so-called "OTG cable"]

http://193.219.66.80/datasheets/usb_20/Micro-USB_final/Micro-USB_1_01.pdf

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #851 of 9,526
I understand what you're saying, but thread has confirmed a micro b male to mini b male cable working between his S3 and Intruder. The Lindy rep also suggested this would work for otg capable phones.

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #852 of 9,526
I tend to believe the USB specification than a Lindy rep.

I don’t think "thread" has opened his cable and observed that the pin 4 of the micro plug is not connected to the pin 5: a Micro-A plug is a (regular) Micro-B plug where the pin 4 is connected to the pin 5.

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #853 of 9,526
Hey all -

Let me try and shed a little light on the whole USB micro A/B/AB/OTG thing...

The Glacer is a slave-only, non-OTG device.  It has a USB micro-B connector.

The Glacier can be connected to anything that can act as a USB host.  This includes (obviously) things like PCs, and also the iPad using the Apple CCK.  In these cases a standard USB A to Micro USB B cable (like the one supplied with the amp) is used.

It can also be connected to an OTG device that can act as a host, like the newer Samsung phones.  The correct cable to do this would be a micro A to micro B cable, with the A end plugged into the host and the B end plugged into the Glacier.  You can also use a micro B to standard USB B female adapter (as was reported to work if plugged in the right way, with the adapter into the OTG device)

According to USB spec, such a cable should be labelled with A and B on the overmolds on the ends.  Also, the A end should have a rectangular cross section, and the B end should be chamfered.

Now, I don't know if all the cable makers follow the spec or not.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632019/apex-glacier-amp-dac-review-and-appreciation-thread/75#post_8812425

Pete Millett is the designer of the Apex Glacier.

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #854 of 9,526
I tend to believe the USB specification than a Lindy rep.

I don’t think "thread" has opened his cable and observed that the pin 4 of the micro plug is not connected to the pin 5: a Micro-A plug is a (regular) Micro-B plug where the pin 4 is connected to the pin 5.

If the Intruder works with the S3 via this cable, we can conclude that the b to b cable works. If thread can post a picture of his setup working it should put to rest any doubts. Since I'm getting two of these cables, I'll donate one to whomever has access to different USB DACs, an S3 / Note 2, and a willingness to take and post pictures.

At any rate, remember that the S3 USB port only accepts micro b plugs... period. It's the only port I'm aware of on Android smartphones. Micro to USB OTG cables plug a micro b male end into the phone, as my earlier picture showed. Clearly the micro b end is capable of the task, no?

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #855 of 9,526
I think you'll still somewhat have to take my word for it, though... :)

I used some ultra sticky... like weatherproof-style double-sided tape to attach the pouch to the "Rock" case I'm using that I absolutely adore. I don't usually like cases on my phones, but the S3 calls out for one -- it seems slippery in my hands, so I really appreciate the texture to this case. I should be receiving the new one I ordered to use when I'm not using it as my audio rig any day now. I also have a nicer, hand-stitched denim pouch I made for the Intruder, so I'm not missing that stock pouch, either :)

The LCD-2's sound phenomenal in balanced mode off the Intruder... Yum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back