Android phones and USB DACs
Jul 27, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #211 of 9,526
USB audio is working using a custom kernel on the NEXUS 7, I've only tired with an Advantage Micro 2 and it only works when you boot the device with it connected but that should be fixed soon so that it switches over automatically.  If anyone wants to try it out here is the link http://androtransfer.com/poitee/Grouper/Kernel/poitee-grouper-v3.zip  The guy who did it goes by Poitee on rootzwiki.com, send some donations his way if this helps you out!

Thanks!

Nexus 7 > digital audio stream >> USB OTG cable >> USB DAC Audio Advantage MICRO II > analog audio stream >> amp >> speakers
or
Nexus 7 > digital audio stream >> USB OTG cable >> Audio Advantage MICRO II > SPDIF digital audio stream >> SPDIF DAC/amp >> speakers

I can't see which combination.

If anyone wants to try it out here is the link http://androtransfer.com/poitee/Grouper/Kernel/poitee-grouper-v3.zip  The guy who did it goes by Poitee on rootzwiki.com, send some donations his way if this helps you out!

Is it the following rootzwiki thread?
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/30129-kernel-nexus-7-cifsntfsusb-otg-gpu-oc-cpu-oc-072312/

Jul 27, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #212 of 9,526
Its working with analog and digital out of the mirco2 into a yamaha receiever, and yes that is the thread but I'm not sure if he has posted V3 of the kernel yet but I the link I posted will take you to it!

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #214 of 9,526
Awesome news about that kernel for the Nexus 7.  That gives me hope the CM team will soon incorporate this functionality in CM10.

Here are observations I've made using a Pico DAC/amp with the Galaxy S3:

1. The connection often doesn't work at first connection.  The phone will recognize the DAC and cut sound to the internal speaker, but the Pico will remain silent.  When this happens, I simply unplug the Pico from the USB cable and then reconnect it.  Success.

2. At this time, only Touchwiz based ROMs seem to have USB audio functionality.  Interestingly, the Siyah kernel works for both Touchwiz ROMs and AOKP / Cyanogenmod ROMs.  Since I used it on a Touchwiz ROM with functional USB audio, I was hoping using it with a Cyanogen based ROM would lead to similar success.  Sadly, this does not seem to be the case.

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #215 of 9,526
Quote:
Awesome news about that kernel for the Nexus 7.  That gives me hope the CM team will soon incorporate this functionality in CM10.

Here are observations I've made using a Pico DAC/amp with the Galaxy S3:

1. The connection often doesn't work at first connection.  The phone will recognize the DAC and cut sound to the internal speaker, but the Pico will remain silent.  When this happens, I simply unplug the Pico from the USB cable and then reconnect it.  Success.

2. At this time, only Touchwiz based ROMs seem to have USB audio functionality.  Interestingly, the Siyah kernel works for both Touchwiz ROMs and AOKP / Cyanogenmod ROMs.  Since I used it on a Touchwiz ROM with functional USB audio, I was hoping using it with a Cyanogen based ROM would lead to similar success.  Sadly, this does not seem to be the case.

That's often the case with Samsung-added extra functionality - often it is tied to TouchWiz and AOSP/AOKP/CM ROMs lose some of that stuff.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #216 of 9,526
Quote:

That's often the case with Samsung-added extra functionality - often it is tied to TouchWiz and AOSP/AOKP/CM ROMs lose some of that stuff.

for the first iterations anyway

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #217 of 9,526
Quote:
for the first iterations anyway

Often for the first MANY iterations. It took something like 18 months for working TV Out on CM with the original Galaxy S for example. I think this should probably come more quickly, but you never know - this is a bit niche and will be a lower priority than many other aspects.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #218 of 9,526
Quote:

Often for the first MANY iterations. It took something like 18 months for working TV Out on CM with the original Galaxy S for example. I think this should probably come more quickly, but you never know - this is a bit niche and will be a lower priority than many other aspects.

it all depends on the kernel dev, if he knows about it, or not etc.

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #219 of 9,526
Jul 31, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #220 of 9,526
/\ I guess I am not technical enough to understand your point. I do not see how a description of how and why partitions work on some android platforms relates to my comment that the design of phones (and some tablets) to have limited memory capacity is a business decision on behalf of the phone carriers.

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #221 of 9,526
I just got a Samsung Galaxy SIII to see if I want to switch to android for phone duty. Keep in mind this is my first day but one thing none of you guys have mentioned is how good this thing sounds with the HPO. With my CIEM's and with the Magnums the sound is damn good. The soundstage is decent (better than iphone, or the sansa clipzip) the background is clean and instrument separation is really good. I have not heard the iphone 4s but this thing trounces my 3GS.

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #222 of 9,526
Buy the Neutron music player app, then upgrade on their website to the 64 bit Neon version, free. The sound through my SE535's playing FLAC is amazing. Much better than the stock Samsung player.
dt880smile.png

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #223 of 9,526
Quote:
Buy the Neutron music player app, then upgrade on their website to the 64 bit Neon version, free. The sound through my SE535's playing FLAC is amazing. Much better than the stock Samsung player.
dt880smile.png

+1 just the interface is ****, I would know, I design interfaces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back