Android phones and USB DACs
Jan 11, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #9,436 of 9,526
You mean instead of using tidal mqa records, i download my own hi res music and still using uapp as my main player in an android phone with external USB dac/amp dongle?

You could go in to that route (that is what I am doing). But at the end its a personal choice. And we're here to enjoy music. On many years using portable setups, this is more or less I learned:
- You will enjoy the quality of your music ONLY to a certain degree. Because of the noise of your surrounding (portable meaning you use it on the go) and the equipment you use (not desktop or reference quality).
- The quality of music is dependent on HOW it is recorded. Even if it is DSD512 but if the recording sucks, it will still sound bad (garbage in, garbage out). I will prefer a CD Quality, nicely recorded music over that.
- Enjoy the music. Or you're here to enjoy your equipment? (Been that route. Trying/buying different things, playing and listening for hours on the same tracks. Instead of just enjoying music/life).

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #9,437 of 9,526
- Enjoy the music. Or you're here to enjoy your equipment? (Been that route. Trying/buying different things, playing and listening for hours on the same tracks. Instead of just enjoying music/life).

Thanks for all those tips, i guess you know I'm new to all these stuff, well I just wanted to maximise what I have and can to improve my sound quality.

By the way you also use the uapp app on the go? If yes, i suppose you have an idea of how a big upgrade in music quality it provides. Maybe you can give me a quick idea, does it give better clarity or Soundstage or does it lower the noise level? For example if 1-10 and 10 is perfect and a phone + dac + tidal gives you 6/10 quality, does having uapp make it a 7 or 8? What's your score on it...

Jan 11, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #9,438 of 9,526
Yes I always use UAPP on the go (been using it since its launch on - Decembre 2013, we were nagging its developer to create a separate player from its recording app).

It has better SQ than most players (personal opinion) even with the native TIDAL app (if you want to go that route).
IME, if using only Tidal is an 8, UAPP + Tidal is 9.

But if you're in MLA can you get decent coverage? That is why i use local files on my microSD card. When I go there Globe/Smart are too slow.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #9,439 of 9,526
But if you're in MLA can you get decent coverage? That is why i use local files on my microSD card. When I go there Globe/Smart are too slow.

Hahaha i didn't expect someone know our local cellular network here in metro Manila, yeah they are slow and both companies suck at providing quality connection. (that's why rumors around here says China telecom is taking over). Anyway thanks for the candid replies... I'm just using it still at home since we are still under quarantine so I mostly use it at home on a wi-fi connection so I am getting a good connection, i haven't tried it yet on a data and I know it will easily suck up my data plan doing so. Atleast I still have an option on mobile just in case I wanted too.

I Tried the free trial uapp and entered my tidal account details there, i heard it and I'm still not convinced there is a discernable improvement in sound quality. Anyway I'll still purchase it as most of you audio guys gave a positive remark regarding the app. I just notice it sometimes says it can't detect my device at times but then after closing and opening the app it does easily recognize it, maybe a problem since ibasso dc03 is still a new product maybe. I'll give it a shot, gonna purchase. I want the full potential unleashed on my dacs

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #9,440 of 9,526
Hahaha i didn't expect someone know our local cellular network here in metro Manila, yeah they are slow and both companies suck at providing quality connection. (that's why rumors around here says China telecom is taking over). Anyway thanks for the candid replies... I'm just using it still at home since we are still under quarantine so I mostly use it at home on a wi-fi connection so I am getting a good connection, i haven't tried it yet on a data and I know it will easily suck up my data plan doing so. Atleast I still have an option on mobile just in case I wanted too.

I Tried the free trial uapp and entered my tidal account details there, i heard it and I'm still not convinced there is a discernable improvement in sound quality. Anyway I'll still purchase it as most of you audio guys gave a positive remark regarding the app. I just notice it sometimes says it can't detect my device at times but then after closing and opening the app it does easily recognize it, maybe a problem since ibasso dc03 is still a new product maybe. I'll give it a shot, gonna purchase. I want the full potential unleashed on my dacs
I've been a hifi lover since the 70s and use great audio gear but never detected any improvement over 16/24 bit 44.1/48 kHz formats. All the stuff about DSD etc. is lost on me. With DACs always the line stage is important, tubes sound better than silicon. Better improve your listening equipment instead of worrying about "digital resolution" Just my 2¢.

Jan 23, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #9,441 of 9,526
Can anyone comment on the sound quality of the Hiby W3 relative to the Fiio BTR3K? I tried out a Fiio BTR3K and the Qudelix with my UERM IEMs and found that the BTR3K sounded too warm, congested, and muffled for my liking (using 3.5mm single ended connection). I didn't like that sound signature. The Qudelix sounded more to my liking, but it was too expensive for me. I am wondering if the Hiby W3S might suit me better?

Jan 24, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #9,442 of 9,526
I wonder is there a free app that is kinda like uapp that will be a third party app player to play my tidal streaming music? I search that hiby music can bypass the android music system and utilizes your external dac dongle like uapp. Can hiby music app do it as well? If not is it only uapp that can do it and i have no choice then..

Someone probably answered you already, but just in case... as far as I know, UAPP is the only app that Tidal integrates with to allow bit-perfect playback. When you think about it, you spent all this money on headphones, an amp/dac or DAP in an attempt to maximize the joy your listening experience brings... what's $5 to guarantee you're getting the best quality sound sent to your DAC, for the rest of your life?!

Jan 24, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #9,443 of 9,526
I've got an XDuoo XD-05 Basic on the way from Linsoul, to power my newly acquired Hifiman HE-4XX. I also picked up the BT module so that I can stream using LDAC directly from my Samsung Galaxy.

I have a 256gb card on my phone which is fine, but my complete music library is backed up on a 1TB hard disk.

What I'd like to know, if anyone can answer this, is it possible to pick up something like the RAVPower Filehub, connect my hard drive to it, then set up Neutron on my phone to point to the Music folder on the harddrive on the Filehub for streaming to my amp?

I'm pretty sure this is possible, but would love confirmation and any potential issues I should be aware of before I pull the trigger on the RAVPower.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 24, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #9,444 of 9,526
What I'd like to know, if anyone can answer this, is it possible to pick up something like the RAVPower Filehub, connect my hard drive to it, then set up Neutron on my phone to point to the Music folder on the harddrive on the Filehub for streaming to my amp?

If Neutron can access and list all content on your storage device, I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 24, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #9,445 of 9,526
Skimming thru the latter part of this thread, I see some have attempted to do what I have done and have reported a similar issue but I have yet to see a recommended solution be a confirmed fix. No, I have not gone thru this ENTIRE thread. Due to regular upgrades to Android, I figure since this thread goes a ways back, prior possible solutions may not fit considering the changes to the os and tech. With all that being said...

I purchased a Tracfone - Motorola G6 - for the purpose of using it as a digital transport. I threw in a 256gb card, purchased UAPP and married it to a Topping NX4 using one of the oft recommended FiiO C to micro cables. Everything works beautifully except for one thing, the phone will not go into a deep sleep while connected to the NX4. With disabling as many apps and services as possible, I've gotten it down to a little under 1% an hour. Has anyone found a way to stop this unnecessary drain? I even went to the extent of buying yet another Tracfone with a micro port vs C since I read C introduced bi-directional power flow. No difference. I've been at this for a while now. Considered rooting the device and installing a custom ROM to see if I could fine tune a setting but hesitant going down THAT rabbit hole since my research has yet to lead me, with any confidence, to believe it would be the answer.

I'm starting to think people are living with a 1%/hour drain since they are typically charging their phones overnight. This was to be my dedicated mobile listening solution. The G6 is never going to be used as a phone. Perhaps that is my issue. I'm trying to use a device for a purpose it was not intended for.

This is wayyy late, but... 1% an hour is bad when playing audio? Thats 90 hours of playback, reasonably, before your phone starts wanting to enter power saving mode... idk what kind of device you've been using, but thats absolutely AMAZING battery life. That means at the end of the day, your phone will still have 84% battery left, assuming you sleep 8 hours a day... You could try keeping the phone in power saving mode, but if youve got it down to 1% an hour, you've already manually put it into power save mode, pretty much.

Again, I feel thats insanely good battery life... Just wanted to make that clear, in case someone who hasn't yet learned the ropes comes along and thinks something is wrong with their device and it's 3%+ battery drain per hour.

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #9,446 of 9,526
If Neutron can access and list all content on your storage device, I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

Yeah, I thought that would probably be the case.

In my research though, I have read that in some cases that only one file can be accessed at a time on the Filehub. So I wonder if that would be the case here too. It would be a real drag to have to select a new song after each one finished.

Jan 31, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #9,449 of 9,526
Bro in Android it's a hit or miss. FiiO has one: LINK.

For example my old Note 3 have no problems in connecting. LG V20 needs a powered hub to connect while my V50 needs a usb-c otg cable. A usb-c to micro usb adapter was not enough.

Hoping somebody has a Note 9 in here to confirm it to you. If not, you beed to test for yourself i'm afraid.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #9,450 of 9,526
Bro in Android it's a hit or miss. FiiO has one: LINK.

For example my old Note 3 have no problems in connecting. LG V20 needs a powered hub to connect while my V50 needs a usb-c otg cable. A usb-c to micro usb adapter was not enough.

Hoping somebody has a Note 9 in here to confirm it to you. If not, you beed to test for yourself i'm afraid.
Thank you I will keep watching the thread. Have a great day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back