Android phones and USB DACs
Feb 19, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #9,286 of 9,526
I've been doing a lot of searching but having a hard time finding a recommendation. Looking to go from Android phone to external dac to headphone amp.

Here's the catch: I'm looking for an external, portable dac that has a line out which bypasses internal amp (or doesnt have one), but which works w smartphones. I can find ones that work w computer but having tough time w smartphone... So something like a Modi 3 or SDAc but smaller and for smartphones?

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Meridian Explorer 2 will fit your needs. It has a line out which can be connected to a headphone amp.

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #9,289 of 9,526
Bought a Mojo a few weeks ago and my music sources are Tidal hifi and about 400 gbs of Lossless music (ALAC and FLAC). I am looking for a transport / DAP and scanned thru the recent posts on this forum and noticed that Sony Z3 with android 4.4.4 is a popular choice for transport. Any other popular choices? And for anyone that has the Sony Z3 (or is considering it), what factors led you that way as opposed to a true DAP. On the cellular side I am a long time Iphone user and while that works for Tidal, I don't have the space even with my 256gb iphone X to hold all my music and apps.
Thanks

Mar 13, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #9,291 of 9,526
Bought a Mojo a few weeks ago and my music sources are Tidal hifi and about 400 gbs of Lossless music (ALAC and FLAC). I am looking for a transport / DAP and scanned thru the recent posts on this forum and noticed that Sony Z3 with android 4.4.4 is a popular choice for transport. Any other popular choices? And for anyone that has the Sony Z3 (or is considering it), what factors led you that way as opposed to a true DAP. On the cellular side I am a long time Iphone user and while that works for Tidal, I don't have the space even with my 256gb iphone X to hold all my music and apps.
Thanks
I actually have 2 z3s. Just recently bought one as a backup. Reason being is that on 4.4.4 USB audio is bit perfect. UmfUnfortunat, Tidal app with Masters audio is not compatible with Android 4.4.4, but honestly I enjoy the sound of my untouched USB DAC with offline 16/44 FLAC from tidal more than offline 24/96 resampled to 16/48 and run through the Android audio stack. When I have an internet connection at home, etc. I use UAPP For Tidal MQA. You want a DAC/AMP with it's own volume control cuz doing bit perfect USB audio, a DAC like dragonfly will have volume set to internal max, and require terminal emulator commands to change volume. I use if XDSD, have tried with mojo, and other DACS at audio shops. If you use an external DAC/AMP, it doesn't get better than Z3 for offline Tidal/Spotify/Google play music/etc.

Mar 15, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #9,292 of 9,526
I actually have 2 z3s. Just recently bought one as a backup. Reason being is that on 4.4.4 USB audio is bit perfect. UmfUnfortunat, Tidal app with Masters audio is not compatible with Android 4.4.4, but honestly I enjoy the sound of my untouched USB DAC with offline 16/44 FLAC from tidal more than offline 24/96 resampled to 16/48 and run through the Android audio stack. When I have an internet connection at home, etc. I use UAPP For Tidal MQA. You want a DAC/AMP with it's own volume control cuz doing bit perfect USB audio, a DAC like dragonfly will have volume set to internal max, and require terminal emulator commands to change volume. I use if XDSD, have tried with mojo, and other DACS at audio shops. If you use an external DAC/AMP, it doesn't get better than Z3 for offline Tidal/Spotify/Google play music/etc.
Are you able to use microsd over 128gb? Some sites stated that was the limit.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #9,293 of 9,526
Are you able to use microsd over 128gb? Some sites stated that was the limit.
I have a 256gb in mine. Works fine. Scrolling through my albums in Tidal is a little slow on the device, compared to an Android 8 device with more ram but it works well. I'm about to switch over to am old iPhone 7 as my tidal player now, due to bit perfect USB play ack for Tidal Masters audio. The Z3 on 4.4.4 is unable to access the updated Tidal app with MQA decoding so maxes out at 16/44. UAPP via WiFi fixes that but the availability of Masters audio 24/7 had me purchase an old iPhone 7 to use solely as a transport. Still will have another Android device for Bluetooth audio, cuz LDAC is a must when wireless is needed

Mar 16, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #9,294 of 9,526
thanks for all the info on the sony xperia z3. I saw a lot of references to using UAPP with android. Why would someone go with z3 over a new android phone with UAPP? Specifically looking for info on sound quality issues, but let me know if there are other factors to consider as well.

Mar 16, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #9,295 of 9,526
thanks for all the info on the sony xperia z3. I saw a lot of references to using UAPP with android. Why would someone go with z3 over a new android phone with UAPP? Specifically looking for info on sound quality issues, but let me know if there are other factors to consider as well.
The reason to use the Z3 o we UAPP is for offline use. UAPP does offer Masters quality MQA, however the app is streaming only with Tidal. I don't use the Z3 as my phone, and my phone isn't going to have a great internet connection everywhere. Also, if I'm streaming MQA, my phone battery would be eaten up and I need access to my device most of the day. With the Z3, you get bit perfect 16/44 audio visual Tidal and you can okay it from your memory card, so an internet connection isn't necessary. That is the same reason imI getrget the iphone 7. I NEED offline playback

Mar 19, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #9,296 of 9,526
Anyone try a 400gb micro sd with sony z3?

Mar 20, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #9,297 of 9,526
I've ripped my music to flac files on a xiaomi mimax2 phone, it works great as a server feeding an Xduoo xd-05 DAC/ headphone amp, but I'm stuck when trying to listen to music via a valve DAC that feeds my conventional stereo. The DAC is at least ten years old, and certainly doesn't talk to tablets or phones.
I was going to get a Chromecast Audio, (there are still a few available) but am hoping there may be an easier wired solution. There are plenty of windows based devices for sending a digital stream to a dac, but I'm stumped if I can find an Android device that will just plug into the phone, then run a optical or coax signal to the DAC. Any suggestions appreciated.

Apr 3, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #9,298 of 9,526
Just got my z3, flashed it to 4.4.4 and bought UAPP. However, is it possible to get the tidal app? I get an error in the play store that device is not compatible with this version.

Apr 4, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #9,299 of 9,526
Just got my z3, flashed it to 4.4.4 and bought UAPP. However, is it possible to get the tidal app? I get an error in the play store that device is not compatible with this version.
You need to download an older version an flash. Tidal version 2.7.3 app works fine on kit kat

Apr 6, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #9,300 of 9,526
my z3 with 4.4.4, is up and running, but I noticed a few issues that I hope others can help resolve. Originally, my UAPP was not working with my z3 and mojo, I would turn on the Mojo and UAPP would open up and recognize a USB dac, but when I play a song it said no USB dac detected and it asks if you have a DAC and if you say yes, error would appear. However the Tidal app and music app would both work with the mojo completely fine. After a restart of the phone, when I turn on the Mojo again UAPP opens up and recognizes it, but now it says USB initiated and it works fine, however now, neither the music app nor tidal app work with the mojo. They only play out of the phone speakers.

Any thoughts? Is it maybe a bad rom flash? If someone has z3 with 4.4.4, appreciate any links to the firmware they used to flash it (if that could be the source of the error)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back