Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 30, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #7,651 of 9,526
I believe I pointed out why it is hard to believe?

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #7,652 of 9,526
Its entirely possible that a new implementation altered this unintended feature. Your assumption of the s5 being the odd one out only works if subsequent phones also worked with the 256gb. You don't seem to have tested this with subsequent phones. In a world of everchanging systems the past is irrelevant to how new systems behave where untested features are concerned. Also fun fact. Only the snapdragon variant of the note 4 works with 512.

Previous systems working does not mean new ones will. Your arguments do not support your conclusion. The functionality ofold phones DOES NOT factor into the equation. There is no reason for you to have reached this conclusion aside from vast oversimplification of how these devices work

Dec 30, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #7,653 of 9,526
Its entirely possible that a new implementation altered this unintended feature. Your assumption of the s5 being the odd one out only works if subsequent phones also worked with the 256gb. You don't seem to have tested this with subsequent phones. In a world of everchanging systems the past is irrelevant to how new systems behave where untested features are concerned. Also fun fact. Only the snapdragon variant of the note 4 works with 512.

Previous systems working does not mean new ones will. Your arguments do not support your conclusion. The functionality ofold phones DOES NOT factor into the equation. There is no reason for you to have reached this conclusion aside from vast oversimplification of how these devices work

I tested the 256gb card with the Note 4, a subsequent phone (the Exynos one). I mentioned that, if you were paying attention you'd have seen that. The fact it works with prior and subsequent devices is why it is hard to believe.

Dec 31, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #7,654 of 9,526
I have searched the thread.

This question appears to have been answered a few times back in 2013 (long time ago). At our current date now did the Samsung Galaxy S2 ever end up working with DACs on later Android updates and the help of USB Audio Player Pro?

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #7,655 of 9,526

This question appears to have been answered a few times back in 2013 (long time ago). At our current date now did the Samsung Galaxy S2 ever end up working with DACs on later Android updates and the help of USB Audio Player Pro?

No idea, I do know someone with one though, might have a chance to test it sometime.

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #7,656 of 9,526

Funny you should ask, I've just dug out my old S2 out of retirement as I thought I could use it as a portable digital player for my Mojo, on the last official stock Samsung ROM Version 4.1.2 UAPP doesn't work, so I've spent a couple of days re-teaching myself how to root, partition it etc. I'm now running CM13 and confirm that UAPP works fine.

* Edit *
Scrap that last, it doesn't work on UAPP, it connects at the beginning when you first load up the app but as soon as go to play some music it says the USB does not support isyncronos connection or something along them lines. S2 back in retirement lol.

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #7,657 of 9,526
I just ordered a used Samsung Galaxy s4 to serve as my Android transport.

1) What do I need to do with the phone when I get it?
2) How do I get the newest firmware if I'm not registering the phone with a mobile carrier?

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #7,658 of 9,526

2) How do I get the newest firmware if I'm not registering the phone with a mobile carrier?

1) Insert the micro sd card with your files then boot it up without sim card, go through the setup steps with Android then that's it. Once you connect your OTG cable the phone will show a notification then connect your DAC. You may want to install some of the apps we use such as UAPP, Hiby to play with and anything else you want to use. In most cases the Samsung Galaxy S4 will detect the DAC natively and you can use the stock music player or any other music app you wish.

2) in Australia we don't need to have the phone registered with a carrier or sim card inserted for Android updates. The Android OS will detect this automatically over Wifi and ask if you want to update.

Jan 2, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #7,659 of 9,526

1) Insert the micro sd card with your files then boot it up without sim card, go through the setup steps with Android then that's it. Once you connect your OTG cable the phone will show a notification then connect your DAC. You may want to install some of the apps we use such as UAPP, Hiby to play with and anything else you want to use. In most cases the Samsung Galaxy S4 will detect the DAC natively and you can use the stock music player or any other music app you wish.

2) in Australia we don't need to have the phone registered with a carrier or sim card inserted for Android updates. The Android OS will detect this automatically over Wifi and ask if you want to update.

Diito to all that. I have been using the S4 and S3 as DAP's for some time now. A wifi connection pulls down the latest firmware updates directly here in Canada as well. I suspect the US is no different.

Jan 2, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #7,660 of 9,526

With firmware 4.4.2 works perfect but whith 5.01 doesn't work, You must disable Automatic Updates in the config menu.
If the phone have 5,0 preinstaled you can downgrade to a firmware downloaded for example in www.sammobile,com.

Jan 2, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #7,661 of 9,526
With firmware 4.4.2 works perfect but whith 5.01 doesn't work, You must disable Automatic Updates in the config menu.
If the phone have 5,0 preinstaled you can downgrade to a firmware downloaded for example in www.sammobile,com.

The Galaxy S4 I had previously was running 5.0.1 and worked with basically every external dac I tried natively.

See this post here were I discovered it.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6825#post_11733144

Not sure why some might not?

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #7,662 of 9,526
The Galaxy S4 I had previously was running 5.0.1 and worked with basically every external dac I tried natively.

See this post here were I discovered it.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6825#post_11733144

Not sure why some might not?

I've tried two updates of 5.01 but doesn't work with the Teac hap50. I'ts no easy to downgrade to 4.4.2. My model is LTE GT-9005

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #7,663 of 9,526
I've tried two updates of 5.01 but doesn't work with the Teac hap50. I'ts no easy to downgrade to 4.4.2. My model is LTE GT-9005

The only problems I remember on 5.0.1 for me was my Audio GD desktop dac/amp where it would work natively but occasionally (usually not long after connecting) would cause the S4 to reboot. Unfortunately I don't remember the model number of that Audio GD dac/amp.

Apart from that and the dac/amp you use I had most success with my Galaxy S4 on that firmware. (5.0.1)

Dac/amp I can remember: (natively)

Tralucent DacAmp One
Oppo HA-2
iBasso Dzero MK2
Cozoy Astrapi
Cozoy Aegis

I have another Galaxy S4 arriving soon as I sold the last one. I have no Idea which version of Android it's running, though I hope for similar ease of use and connections.

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #7,664 of 9,526
I recently purchased a cheap android device - an "ulefone paris" - to use as a transport for a Chord Mojo. It seemed ideal as it had USB OTG, micro SD support upto 128gb and was about £90. After installing the obvious apps (UAPP, Neutron, etc) I got music playing using the Mojo, however there is a lot of RF interference which roughly correlates to screen movement on all apps. e.g. anything animating on the screen causes lots of interference/crackling, even a still screen causes some interference (a couple of crackles per second) and even with the screen off there's a crackle every other second or so. I have played a bit with screen brightness and some other high level settings to try and fix it, but nothing has been successful. I only have one OTG cable available for testing but have another on the way, though I assume as this interference seems to be caused internally within the phone, the cable wont matter.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could fix this, or is it just badly shielded internals? If so, I'll have to return it and check out a second hand S3....

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #7,665 of 9,526

Thanks for the information!

Yes, I'm really just concerned about the sim card/carrier situation.

I'll make sure the sim card is removed and go from there.

Is it necessary to put the S4 in "high performance" mode to get static-free sound? I need to do this with my HTC One M8, which fries my battery.

I use Tidal streaming and Rocket Player Pro. Do people prefer any other Android players?

Last question: Is it possible to make EQ settings from a third-party app such as Rocket Player work for streaming services?

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back